late with prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalman83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm planning on taking biochem the summer of 07 right before matriculation... has anyone done this? is it cutting it too close? the other option is quitting my job and taking it this fall. help me out. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

dentalman83 said:
i'm planning on taking biochem the summer of 07 right before matriculation... has anyone done this? is it cutting it too close? the other option is quitting my job and taking it this fall. help me out. thanks.

UCLA does not allow this..their deadline for pre-reqs is 6/30/2007

Rook said:
UCLA does not allow this..their deadline for pre-reqs is 6/30/2007

thanks rook... bad news for me though... i'm in a bind... :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
hi you guys,

i had a question. I heard you can apply to dental school without having all your pre-req's completed. Do you have to have them all completed before they accept you or do they accept you and give you a deadline to finish the couple classes you didnt take yet?

Thanks

Different direction from different schools. Check specific websites for specific school requirements. Some won't look at the app at all without prereqs. Biochem is normally encouraged/recommended but not required.

Rule of thumb is that prereqs need to be finished before matriculation or sometimes you can get accepted with the requirement that you finish specific classes before you are formally accepted. Your application as a whole is definitely not as strong without the prereqs, making it more difficult to get through the admit process. However, maybe you have a PhD in Biochemistry but for some reason never took physics/calc. If you are a non-traditional the potential strength of the rest of your application could offset the lack of all prereqs, if your scores and GPA are in the range.

dentalman83 said:

Same situation. I have a great job...but I'm pretty sure I'm quitting just to crank out Biochem and the anatomy pre-requisite at Indiana this fall. Not to mention I have to support myself so that means lots of debt and loans. Guess I better get used to that fact as debt and loans will probably be my reality for quite some time. Especially when my wife is applying to med school as well. Ha.