Latest date to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdubz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know aadsas' application comes out in May, but when is the latest I should apply? Would it be pushing it if i applied in oct? would I just get waitlisted and lose out on many opportunities?

I may have to wait until nov or dec to apply. Would you guys advise me to just wait until may of the next year? Or is applying late better than delaying an entire year.

I dont really understand why schools are on rolling admissions, but students who apply early are favored.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You certainly would be pushing things if you apply in October: by that point a lot of schools will already be in the middle of interviews and making admissions decisions, AADSAS will take at least between six and eight weeks to turn you application around, which means schools won't see it until December and by that point the first round of acceptance letters will be out. The reason why schools utilize a rolling admissions process is because not everyone will accept their offer of admissions and thus they keep pulling up applicants from the waitlist or continue to conduct interviews until their clas is full. While it is not impossible to gain admission if you apply late, the odds are certainly stacked against you. Some schools do favor applicants that apply early, such as Case and USC, and just having your application be one of the first to come through their door is an advantage in itself. If you are unable to apply until late this fall then I think it best for you to simply hold off until May 2006 and submit a killer application and save some money. Sure it will delay your plans by a year, but in perspective it really isn't all that much time. Best of luck!

thanks for ur advice Sprgrover.
So u think its better to apply early of the following year rather than be waitlisted? hmm...are the waitlisted applicants pretty much low priority for them then?
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
sdubz said:
thanks for ur advice Sprgrover.
So u think its better to apply early of the following year rather than be waitlisted? hmm...are the waitlisted applicants pretty much low priority for them then?
thanks

I don't think it will hurt your chances of ultimately getting in you want to try applyiing this year/being waitlisted, but it's a matter of cost/benefit - shelling out who knows how many $k for what will most probably be waitlist spots seems excessive to me, but if you have stellar stats and/or don't mind spending the $, you might want to try just on the off chance that it might save you a year.

Tzips said:
I don't think it will hurt your chances of ultimately getting in you want to try applyiing this year/being waitlisted, but it's a matter of cost/benefit -

It's certainly not impossible, but the odds are against you if you apply late, even with stellar stats. As Tzips pointed out, it is a matter of cost, and with any type of gamble, your level of comfort with risk. Personally I don't have a lot of cash to loose and my tolerance for risk is quite low and thus, if I were in your shoes, I would hold off and apply in May of the following year. Other people are different, but those are some things to keep in mind when making your decision.

sdubz said:
I know aadsas' application comes out in May, but when is the latest I should apply? Would it be pushing it if i applied in oct? would I just get waitlisted and lose out on many opportunities?

I may have to wait until nov or dec to apply. Would you guys advise me to just wait until may of the next year? Or is applying late better than delaying an entire year.

I dont really understand why schools are on rolling admissions, but students who apply early are favored.

thanks!

The simple answer is JUNE :D I applied in late Aug, and was already number 5XXX. The reality is the application process favorites early applicants. Some schools, like UOP, fill their class by Dec. If you're not the first 1/3 to apply, you don't even have a chance.

Is there a reason you can't apply early? The application is fairly simple, albeit some what time consuming. You can probably get the whole thing done in less than a week though.

yaa actually its cause i dont have ref letters:(:(
i guess ill just try to gather em up for next year and be one of the first to apply.
thanks for ur help u guys

If you know "early is better", why take a chance?

Personally, I would apply if I had good numbers. Spending a few thousand and having the chance to start a year ealier is enough to make it worthwhile for me.

sdubz said:
yaa actually its cause i dont have ref letters:(:(
i guess ill just try to gather em up for next year and be one of the first to apply.
thanks for ur help u guys

is it that you don't have reference letters yet? or is it that you don't think you can obtain them or obtain good ones? if the first choice is the case, i wouldn't worry too much and still apply and try to get those letters in. i had issues with my reference letters too because all of my science classes were really large, so there were very frew science professors that i knew on a personal level. if this is the case for you i wouldn't worry about it. if the teacher doesn't know you all that well they will either kindly say no (but most won't because, in my experience, professors know what it's like and are glad to help) or they will just ask you for a resume and a copy of your personal statement. in fact, a lot of professors have more or less of a template recommendation where they just alter a few things here and there. if you have strong stats, then the recommendations become less important. if they are not, then i would suggest putting in more time to get really high quality recommendations. i agree with sprgrover that it might be a good idea to wait a year. a lot of it depends on where you want to go. i know columbia, BU, and other schools have deadlines in march and they still take late applicants into consideration. i hope this helps and i'm not just babbling, good luck!

Free Playstation Portable!! http://www.FreePSPs.com/?r=17266061