Latest MGMA physician compensation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hematosis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its interesting to see the difference in mean salary between orthopod fa and the surgical pod fa $518,463 to $287,449, respectively.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• MGMA Physician Salary.pdf
    468.9 KB · Views: 1,096
I hope all Pods make that kind of living

I understand that this survey is not representative of the entire profession, being that only 76 podiatrists who focus on foot and ankle surgery participated in the survey, BUT if I can earn anywhere near 287k in my lifetime as a podiatrist I would be more than happy. I'm not entirely sure how we can close the gap between F/A orthopods and podiatrists. Seems this has more to do with the professional stigma that the ortho community still holds against pods then anything else.

EDIT: The survey is not even representative of the ortho F/A profession either. Although it's always nice to see figures and data, there is strong possibility that these figures are completely erroneous.

sigh always too good to be true lol

Members don't see this ad :)
This is fantastic, thanks for sharing! Its great to see that the numbers don't dip from year to year that is more important in my opinion. And honestly, if you can push it to the limit a few years down the line closing that salary gap b/t pods and f/a orthos could be doable.

This is fantastic, thanks for sharing! Its great to see that the numbers don't dip from year to year that is more important in my opinion. And honestly, if you can push it to the limit a few years down the line closing that salary gap b/t pods and f/a orthos could be doable.

While the gap should be closed a little... f/a ortho SHOULD make more than us. They are more valuable doctors because they can treat the entire muskuloskeletal (man i botched the spelling on that one) system whereas we have limited scope....

I understand that this survey is not representative of the entire profession, being that only 76 podiatrists who focus on foot and ankle surgery participated in the survey, BUT if I can earn anywhere near 287k in my lifetime as a podiatrist I would be more than happy. I'm not entirely sure how we can close the gap between F/A orthopods and podiatrists. Seems this has more to do with the professional stigma that the ortho community still holds against pods then anything else.

EDIT: The survey is not even representative of the ortho F/A profession either. Although it's always nice to see figures and data, there is strong possibility that these figures are completely erroneous.

The MGMA is one of the most comprehensive salary sources. I would definitely not dismiss it as erroneous. However, I will agree that it may not be representative of the "entire" profession.

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, and the amount you can make is certainly within those numbers, but I personally believe that the amount listed is slightly high, even for those performing mostly surgery.

Please don't blast back, it's simply MY opinion, nothing more and nothing less, based on well over 20 years experience in a very successful practice AND knowledge of colleagues across the country, not just my geographic area.

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, and the amount you can make is certainly within those numbers, but I personally believe that the amount listed is slightly high, even for those performing mostly surgery.

Please don't blast back, it's simply MY opinion, nothing more and nothing less, based on well over 20 years experience in a very successful practice AND knowledge of colleagues across the country, not just my geographic area.
Seems like the numbers are high for most of the specialties listed. They are probably talking gross instead of net.

i don't want to burst anyone's bubble, and the amount you can make is certainly within those numbers, but i personally believe that the amount listed is slightly high, even for those performing mostly surgery.

Please don't blast back, it's simply my opinion, nothing more and nothing less, based on well over 20 years experience in a very successful practice and knowledge of colleagues across the country, not just my geographic area.

+1

The MGMA numbers are supposed to be the most accurate, but I almost always hear attendings complain that "physician salary surveys" are inflated.

Having said that, 287k is nothing to brush off. Nicely done!

The MGMA numbers are supposed to be the most accurate, but I almost always hear attendings complain that "physician salary surveys" are inflated.

Having said that, 287k is nothing to brush off. Nicely done!

Hey JaggerPlate, do you think these #'s are too high for most of these professions ? ... and does anyone know if this is gross or net salary ?

Hell, the 25th percentile for General Pods is $155k.... That is NOTHING to complain about!

While the gap should be closed a little... f/a ortho SHOULD make more than us. They are more valuable doctors because they can treat the entire muskuloskeletal (man i botched the spelling on that one) system whereas we have limited scope....

Ehhhhhhhh sarcasm?

If not, just because they *can* treat the whole body doesn't mean they do... An orthopod does the same surgery that a pod does....

Hey JaggerPlate, do you think these #'s are too high for most of these professions ? ... and does anyone know if this is gross or net salary ?

I think it's usually quoted as take home salary (after taxes), and I'm not really certain how inflated the salaries are or are not. I'm still a student, but it seems like each time one of these numbers is used in a discussion, attending physicians say they are "inflated" or "too high."

Correct me if I am wrong but I think part of the reason why FA orthopods on average make more money than podiatrists is that FA orthopods can take trauma calls and do general ortho 'bread and butter' stuff on top of the FA stuff while podiatrists can't.

Im not sure what to believe anymore. Some say a hundred twenty, some say one fifty, some say as low as eighty thousand only and this says two hundred

As a pre health Id appreciate some consistency lol

Reactions: 1 user
Correct me if I am wrong but I think part of the reason why FA orthopods on average make more money than podiatrists is that FA orthopods can take trauma calls and do general ortho 'bread and butter' stuff on top of the FA stuff while podiatrists can't.

You are correct :thumbup:

Anyone else find it funny that the only people who talk on these threads are pre pods that have no idea how the real world works and talk about stuff before they have any experience or perspective? And use the collective "we" before they have earned anything? I thinks it's funny.

Ehhhhhhhh sarcasm?

If not, just because they *can* treat the whole body doesn't mean they do... An orthopod does the same surgery that a pod does....

Yes but many also take ortho call for the entire body and many I know still will do a knee scope or other cherry picked procedures. They can also cover for their associates who may be general or other fellowship trained orthopedists. In many cases, physician referrals come faster to the MD/DO from their non ortho colleagues since some will not refer to a DPM even if they are within an orthopedic practice. This trend has slowly decreased over the last 10-15 years.

The salaries quoted are doable and I see those and higher. But PADPM is correct. It is dependent upon the location, practice type, and work ethic of the DPM. If you plan on locating in a DPM saturated area with a poor payer mix, work solo or in a small group, and want the so called 9-5 job your income can be much lower or it may take 10-15 years to get to those numbers. However the point should be that DPMs are making decent to great incomes out there. Show these numbers to the average pediatrician, family practitioner, bread and butter general surgeon, or pulmonologist and you will often hear wow.