Latest notebook ratings--pc world

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danyela

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a link to the latest notebook ratings, Dell really came out ahead... Gateway's new notebooks arn't even mentioned here!?. Anyway, I found it interesting as I was just getting ready to go gateway, now I'm not so sure!
<a href="http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,101772,pg,2,00.asp" target="_blank">http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,101772,pg,2,00.asp</a>

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks a ton. Can you say good timing. I was heading out to buy a laptop tommorrow.

I actually just picked up a Toshiba Satellite 1405 S151 from Circuit City for a modest $1199. Some stats:

1.2ghz celeron
256mb PC133 Ram expandable to 1024
DVD/CDRW 8x8x24x8x
14.1 TFT active matrix display
internal floppy
integrated 56k modem
integrated 10/100 NIC
optional WAN Wifi card (which i didnt get, gonna go 802.11b PC card instead)
30gb hdd

I think its an extremely solid and extremely reliable laptop thus far, ive had it for about 6 days now, and Ive already put it through some hoops, burned tons of cds, watched a few dvds etc.

I dig it :wink: Even though tis not on PC mag's chart, I think its a great device and with enough ram it def. has 4 years in it atleast.

Members don't see this ad :)
danyela,

i think gateway's new releases (the 450 and 600 series) are newer than dell inspiron 8200s and 2650s (which are called new in that article). i don't think they made the review, but i could be wrong. for some reason, that article didn't include sony either. who knows why, but i don't think it is a discredit to gateway and sony products.

i'm in the same boat as you, leaning toward gateway (the 450X to be exact). i got a price for it with a P4-M 1.7GhZ processor, 512MB RAM, 40GB harddrive, DD-RW/DVD, 3 year warranty (i plan to milk this laptop), built in ethernet, etc..all for somewhere around 2300-2400. the only thing i didn't like about the 450 series is that the screen wobbled after adjusting it, but that might be due to its large screen. it is pretty light for what you get in power (i think it is around 6 pounds or something) - a lot lighter than dell's laptops (aside from that latitude 200 thing).

what i don't like about dell is that you have to mail your notebook out if there are any problems. gateway is cool b/c you can bring it into the store, and if it can't be fixed, then you mail it.

anyway, i'm holding off for another month or so before i buy a notebook..but right now i'm leaning gateway. sony is too expensive, ibm is as well. i like how dell and gateway give you the option to customize.

then part of me wants to just get a kick-ass desktop, but that is a whole other story.

Personally, I'm still debating between Dell & Gateway. What do u guys think of these two models?

Dell 4100 (Price $1,800)

-Pentium III 1.13 GHz-M 14.1 XGA
-128MB, SDRAM
-30GB Hard Drive
-24X Max CD-ROM Drive
-Microsoft Windows XP Prof.
-Microsoft Office XP Prof.
-3 Year Warranty

Gateway 450L (1,850)

-Pentium IV 1.6 GHz
-256MB, SDRAM
-CD/RW Drive
-20GB Hard Drive
-Microsoft Windows XP Prof.
-w/o Microsoft Office XP Prof.
-1 Year Warranty

Given I need Microsoft Office for school, would Dell be the "overall" better buy? Would a Pentium 4 w/ 256 MB really be that much better? Thanks for any advice!

Thats cool actually. I just bought the Dell Inspiron 8200 last week and saw that its #2 on the list. :clap:

I just purchased Dell's Latitude C610 for $1800 tax included. I will be receiving it next week :). I'm just glad that it shows up on the rank list! Mine is coming with a 30 GB HD, though:confused: ......