latest safe date to take DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akimhaneul

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am pretty new to the whole dental school application process. I did some research and I found out that you can start submitting dental app in early June.

What date is the latest safe date for taking DAT? I heard that it takes couple weeks for the scores to be uploaded? I know that it's a rolling admission process so I would like to submit early.

Is there a guideline for dental school apps somewhere on SDN?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would take DAT end of June, latest Mid July to be safe. Have your application completed as early as possible. You will have an huge advantage especially if your stats are average

Personally I would have the DAT done by the end of May so you can get your application in by the end of June. Also make sure the rest of your application is ready to go by then, your transcripts take time to get loaded as do your LOR's. End of July for getting your application in is probably the latest I would feel comfortable applying. A lot will depend on your stats, EC's, etc. though too. If you have way above average stats, you have a little more leeway.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What about end of September for dat?
No. I took it at the end of August with great stats and a 23 AA... and only one school got back to me before Dec 1st. I know it doesn't seem late in theory, but it's really late. The schools will have all the applicants they can handle before you even take the test.

Probably latest mid July DAT test date would be ideal for pre-Dec interviews. Keep in mind that it took my transcripts a month and half to be processed so send them in early if you can. However don't be discouraged when studying if you need to push it back past July in order to get the best score possible. I had to push my DAT back to August 26th. Just make sure to have your application and transcripts submitted by early July.

I would get it done by mid-June at the latest. I completed mine mid-July and I wish I had done it a month earlier because my application couldn't be mailed until August.

I would have it done before the portal opens, if possible. You're going to be so busy working on the application and doing things non-dental related that studying for the DAT on top of it will only stress you out. I took mine in July of my application cycle this past year and working on the application while also studying was stressful at times, especially since I needed to get a competitive score in one sitting with very little room for error. I would have your application completed mid-June (ideally with DAT and letters done then, too) with your transcripts in as early as possible so they can be verified. If you take it as late as mid-July like me it is doable as I had multiple Dec. 1st acceptances, but it is definitely stressful and I would not recommend it. Best of luck!

Last edited: