Latex allergy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chrono1984

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I unfortunately have developed some sort of intolerance over the last year to latex gloves. At first it was just the powdered types, but now I react negatively to non-powdered types. It has gotten to the point where OTHER people wearing them around me in labs can spark a reaction.

I know there are alternatives, but from what I can find, everything seems to declare latex as "the best" in terms maintaining optimum dexterity. I haven't tried out vinyl gloves yet, anyone have any experience or input with non-latex gloves?

I'm sure I'll be able to find a decent glove with some additional research; however, I am much more concerned about being in a clinic full of students using latex gloves.

My reactions thus far have not been horrible or life-threatening. But, I definitely cannot concentrate or work at a normal efficiency when exposed.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

Members don't see this ad.

i thought most schools use nitrile gloves. they work great

Consider vinyl, too. It gives better dexterity than nitrile.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to stop using latex gloves right away. It sounds like you are having a contact dermatitis reaction. It probably started only after wearing the gloves for a few hours, maybe your hands got sweaty, and your skin was a little red. Sometimes the sweat mixes with a compound in the latex to make something your body perceives as an antigen. I would be very concerned that it has gotten to this point. It sounds like it is past the contact dermatitis reaction, so I am not familiar with that. But you should stop ALL physical contact with latex ASAP. Hopefully your response to it will subside if you are not rubbing and sweating in it all day long. Yeah, it is not the best for dexterity, but if your allergy worsens (which it sounds like it has been doing), your condition COULD turn into a life threatening allergy, just from being in the same room. Unfortunately, there have been cases where this seemingly happened over night. So ... nitrile is best, but expensive. (Less likely to tear.) Vinyl should be fine while in preclinic. You will get used to the tactile sense ... your career depends on it, and you won't be able to continue your career if you continue using latex. If your condition gets worse, you might as well start looking for another job.

Since it has gotten to this point, I would advise seeking medical advice. (I am not giving medical advice, just my own opinion.)

I unfortunately have developed some sort of intolerance over the last year to latex gloves. At first it was just the powdered types, but now I react negatively to non-powdered types. It has gotten to the point where OTHER people wearing them around me in labs can spark a reaction.

I know there are alternatives, but from what I can find, everything seems to declare latex as "the best" in terms maintaining optimum dexterity. I haven't tried out vinyl gloves yet, anyone have any experience or input with non-latex gloves?

I'm sure I'll be able to find a decent glove with some additional research; however, I am much more concerned about being in a clinic full of students using latex gloves.

My reactions thus far have not been horrible or life-threatening. But, I definitely cannot concentrate or work at a normal efficiency when exposed.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

Yikes!! What do you use for contraception?? :smuggrin:

You need to stop using latex gloves right away. It sounds like you are having a contact dermatitis reaction. It probably started only after wearing the gloves for a few hours, maybe your hands got sweaty, and your skin was a little red. Sometimes the sweat mixes with a compound in the latex to make something your body perceives as an antigen. I would be very concerned that it has gotten to this point. It sounds like it is past the contact dermatitis reaction, so I am not familiar with that. But you should stop ALL physical contact with latex ASAP. Hopefully your response to it will subside if you are not rubbing and sweating in it all day long. Yeah, it is not the best for dexterity, but if your allergy worsens (which it sounds like it has been doing), your condition COULD turn into a life threatening allergy, just from being in the same room. Unfortunately, there have been cases where this seemingly happened over night. So ... nitrile is best, but expensive. (Less likely to tear.) Vinyl should be fine while in preclinic. You will get used to the tactile sense ... your career depends on it, and you won't be able to continue your career if you continue using latex. If your condition gets worse, you might as well start looking for another job.

Since it has gotten to this point, I would advise seeking medical advice. (I am not giving medical advice, just my own opinion.)

I spoke with my physician yesterday and he echoed alot of what you posted. He said latex allergies are very erratic and onset/subside really fast. Allergies also induce negative placebo effects in that, if you think you are horribly allergic, you might start feeling worse than you really are.

I wear latex in a comparative anatomy lab, so he advised I switch to vinyl, as well as ask my classmates to do the same (small class, no problem). He also hasn't ruled out that I may be reacting to the large mixture of various preservatives floating around since we are cutting both cats and sharks at the same time, which use different compounds.

He hasn't ruled out latex for future use; in fact, he believes the powdered variant is the root of my problem. The reaction started out as contact dermatitis before escalating. I mentioned that I tried non-powdered, but I was still in the room with people snapping on/off the powdered type. So the powder apparently combines and can easily go airborne in those situations.

He seems to think that I'll be fine with non-powdered latex and a mask because the powder is most likely the major cause. However, it was recommended that I avoid any contact for a few months to give the initial onset time to subside. I really hope this is the case.