Law question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Starlix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys,
I have a question for those practicing in FL, can i accept an electonic prescription for contolled substance (II-V), electronically signed?

Members don't see this ad.

Guys,
I have a question for those practicing in FL, can i accept an electonic prescription for contolled substance (II-V), electronically signed?

No, electronic signatures are not valid.

For a C-II, you can get a fax from a nursing home or hospice house. They have to bring you a hard copy within the week.

When I get an e-scribe or fax for any other control (non-C-II), I phone the doctor's office and have them give me the script over the phone.

I wanted to clarify the above post regarding facsimile prescriptions....per my Kaplan MPJE review packet, a facsimile CII serves as the original written prescription when the situation falls under one of the following 3 situations....

1. A patient undergoing home infusion/IV pain therapy
2. A patient in a LTCF
3. A hospice patient

Only when dispensing a CII prescription under the category of "Emergency Dispensing" is it necessary to get a written, signed prescription from an MD within 7 days. Emergency is defined as, "The immediate administration of the drug is necessary for the proper treatment of the ultimate user, that no alternative treatment is available and it is not possible for the prescribing practioner to provide a written prescription". The above 3 circumstances actually do not fall under the category of "Emergency Dispensing".

I am not exactly sure where e-RX's fall into the law. I do know that a written or verbal (including facsimile) prescription is legal.