Law School to Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LawToMedSchool

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a fairly unique situation.

I graduated in 3 years with a 3.86 (magna cum laude with Dean's list every academic term, fwiw) from a top 15 undergrad in the humanities/social sciences. I took the first year chem sequence, a biology class, and some math and would have a BCPM of 3.84.

This year, I enrolled at a top 10 law school (T13/T14 for those in the know). I did fairly average (3.3, which is median on the law school curve), because I hated the experience and found it incredibly hard to study something so terribly awful.

I'm now thinking of changing gears to do a pre-med certificate over 12 months, taking the MCAT, applying to med schools (over a glide year), and hopefully matriculating.

I'm curious how my law school GPA will be viewed and if this is feasible. The program I'm looking at says it's for career changers, so I think it makes a lot of sense in my situation.

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen a lot of similar threads on here about switching from law school to med school, so definitely check those out, but...
- Your undergrad gpa will be shown separately from your law school gpa and will be looked at much more closely.
- It will take much longer than 12 months before you are ready to apply to medical school. You will need to take another biology class, organic 1 & 2, physics 1 & 2, psychology and possibly sociology, biochem, and perhaps another upper level science class (cell bio, perhaps). You will also need to prepare for and take the MCAT, shadow physicians, gain clinical experience through work and/or volunteering, and show commitment to underserved populations through community service.
- From what I've read on this site, adcoms will question your decision to switch from law to medicine. Be prepared to explain why you want to be a doctor. Adcoms will assume, until you adequately explain otherwise, that you are simply running away from one "prestigious" profession to another.
I highly recommend spending a lot of time browsing this forum to understand your chances/what is required. Good luck on your journey to medicine!

Reactions: 5 users
Like bubba mentioned, in addition to all the classes and the MCAT, you still need all the extracurriculars and will be competing against people who have spent years doing volunteering, research, etc.

Perhaps more importantly though, did you just out of the blue decide you wanted to do medicine? Have you done any shadowing at all or do you have any clinical experience? Just make sure you know what you're getting yourself into and have given this a lot of thought because it will likely take a few years to develop a solid application, and then it's still a very long road afterwards...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen a lot of similar threads on here about switching from law school to med school, so definitely check those out, but...
- Your undergrad gpa will be shown separately from your law school gpa and will be looked at much more closely.
- It will take much longer than 12 months before you are ready to apply to medical school. You will need to take another biology class, organic 1 & 2, physics 1 & 2, psychology and possibly sociology, biochem, and perhaps another upper level science class (cell bio, perhaps). You will also need to prepare for and take the MCAT, shadow physicians, gain clinical experience through work and/or volunteering, and show commitment to underserved populations through community service.
- From what I've read on this site, adcoms will question your decision to switch from law to medicine. Be prepared to explain why you want to be a doctor. Adcoms will assume, until you adequately explain otherwise, that you are simply running away from one "prestigious" profession to another.
I highly recommend spending a lot of time browsing this forum to understand your chances/what is required. Good luck on your journey to medicine!

Thanks for the response.

My brother suffered from some pretty severe mental illnesses when he was younger and got into a lot of legal trouble, so I became interested in doing legal work that represents the indigent, especially those inflicted with mental health problems. I'm in a health law class now and have spent the last semester shadowing at the local public defender (I'll be in a similar position this summer). So far, I've not only disliked the law school work to a great degree, but I've found that the legal process only treats a symptom of those who are mentally ill and rarely ever provides sufficient remedies. If anything, the system only further compounds their problems and can in many cases put them much further away from the treatment they need and the future they deserve. I'd spin my SOP as realizing those things and wanting to go into psychiatric care with the intention of tackling those problems at their source through treatment and expanding access to the indigent. Would that be sufficiently compelling?

Like bubba mentioned, in addition to all the classes and the MCAT, you still need all the extracurriculars and will be competing against people who have spent years doing volunteering, research, etc.

Perhaps more importantly though, did you just out of the blue decide you wanted to do medicine? Have you done any shadowing at all or do you have any clinical experience? Just make sure you know what you're getting yourself into and have given this a lot of thought because it will likely take a few years to develop a solid application, and then it's still a very long road afterwards...

Thanks for the reply.

I helped found and operate a non-profit that runs a clinic in a 3rd world country and was a part of that team for a couple of years. I was also part of a mental health student organization dedicated to expanding mental health access on campus. I've shadowed about 3-4 physicians. Currently, I volunteer a decent bit of my time at a local Children's hospital.

Any advice on what areas I need to work on?

Do some sort of research, you will need hours from any kind of research.

Thanks for the reply.

I helped found and operate a non-profit that runs a clinic in a 3rd world country and was a part of that team for a couple of years. I was also part of a mental health student organization dedicated to expanding mental health access on campus. I've shadowed about 3-4 physicians. Currently, I volunteer a decent bit of my time at a local Children's hospital.

Nice!! Those are all great things.

I don't know numbers off the top of my head (I applied back in 2013), but I would peruse the forums and you'll find lots of good threads discussing the recommended # hours of shadowing, clinical volunteering, etc. that you'll need in order to be a competitive applicant. It's great you have a few prerequisite classes under your belt, but you still need to finish them up (as mentioned in the first response above) AND study and take the MCAT.

My main advice would be to not shoot yourself in the foot by trying to rush this process. Take the time that you need to do well in your classes and do well on the MCAT. 1 year seems a bit accelerated to me, but I can't say for sure. If you find yourself with 1+ years worth of gap time, and actually have some free time, I would look into getting involved with some research so you can check that box off (although this isn't required for admission and I would prioritize everything else first).

I would start by browsing the "What Are My Chances?" forum as there are many threads where people list out their application, where it stands, and others offer useful advice for how to address any weaknesses and fill in any gaps.

Good luck.

Medschool adcoms might question your ability to finish medschool if you want to quit law school after the 1st year. Take the additional 2 years to get the J.D. and work on getting the medical school required ECs to be competitive. Then you can put issues that might pop up regarding being able to finish a commitment to rest. One less thing to worry about.

And no offense, but your situation is not unique....

Medschool adcoms might question your ability to finish medschool if you want to quit law school after the 1st year. Take the additional 2 years to get the J.D. and work on getting the medical school required ECs to be competitive. Then you can put issues that might pop up regarding being able to finish a commitment to rest. One less thing to worry about.

I'm miserable doing what I'm doing. I'm not going to waste two more years of my life doing it. That seems like a very poor idea. Not looking to fall into the sunk cost fallacy. Also, I finished undergrad in 3 years. It seems a bit odd that they'd worry that I "can't finish a commitment."

Sorry my situation isn't unique. I figured there aren't that many people who go to top undergrads then top law schools and make the switch before even completing their degree. Guess I was wrong!

Relax, take a breath and think objectively. You are miserable in law school, so you want to quit. Start thinking like an Adcom, " I let this applicant in, and when the going gets tough in medical school (which is certain), is he/she going to quit too?"

And finishing your J.D. is not a sunk cost fallacy if you take the two years to also get the ECs required to be a competitive applicant, and the J.D.

Relax, take a breath and think objectively. You are miserable in law school, so you want to quit. Start thinking like an Adcom, " I let this applicant in, and when the going gets tough in medical school (which is certain), is he/she going to quit too?"

And finishing your J.D. is not a sunk cost fallacy if you take the two years to also get the ECs required to be a competitive applicant, and the J.D.

Hm. I'm not an adcom, but in my opinion, completing two more years of law school seems like a waste of time, money, and energy if OP is miserable and knows they do not want to practice law. I would not recommend completing the degree just to prove the point of 'commitment'.

I'm miserable doing what I'm doing. I'm not going to waste two more years of my life doing it. That seems like a very poor idea. Not looking to fall into the sunk cost fallacy. Also, I finished undergrad in 3 years. It seems a bit odd that they'd worry that I "can't finish a commitment."

Sorry my situation isn't unique. I figured there aren't that many people who go to top undergrads then top law schools and make the switch before even completing their degree. Guess I was wrong!

Also, in my opinion, I would drop this focus on 'top' undergrad and especially on 'top' law school. What matters most will be your grades, MCAT, and extracurriculars. Name/prestige can help a little bit in some cases, but I would recommend not counting on it at all.

Hm. I'm not an adcom, but in my opinion, completing two more years of law school seems like a waste of time, money, and energy if OP is miserable and knows they do not want to practice law. I would not recommend completing the degree just to prove the point of 'commitment'.

Getting a J.D. does not mean OP needs to practice law. But it will show resolve.
Regarding how Adcoms value commitment, a quick search will show the following SDN Adcoms' and Expert's views:

Post #5 and #6 at Long term commitment to one research or diversify?

Post #9 at Concerned about clinical experience

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I think you coming in with a way too high expectation for psychiatry...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do some sort of research, you will need hours from any kind of research.

This is bad advice. Research is not required for med school admissions other than the top 20 schools and since you’re late to the game you should use your time to check off more important boxes, finish prereqs, and study for the MCAT.

Getting a J.D. does not mean OP needs to practice law. But it will show resolve.
Regarding how Adcoms value commitment, a quick search will show the following SDN Adcoms' and Expert's views:

Post #5 and #6 at Long term commitment to one research or diversify?

Post #9 at Concerned about clinical experience

I still disagree and think there are other, more reasonable ways for the OP to show committment than to spend 40-50k/year being miserable. I don’t think the threads you are referencing apply here.

Perhaps some adcoms can weigh in.

This is bad advice. Research is not required for med school admissions other than the top 20 schools and since you’re late to the game you should use your time to check off more important boxes, finish prereqs, and study for the MCAT.
If you look at the msar even low-tier MD schools have roughly 85% of matriculants who were involved in previous research

If you look at the msar even low-tier MD schools have roughly 85% of matriculants who were involved in previous research

First of all the MSAR lists research/lab experience so anyone who’s cleaned glassware fits the category.

Second, you made it this far so you should know by now that correlation does not equal causation. I was told specifically on interviews when I asked about research that it is not essential for medical school admissions other than at top schools whose mission is research.

Third, we are talking about someone who hasn’t even decided whether or not they are going to try to apply to medical school and your only suggestion is.... research. That’s objectively bad advice.

First of all the MSAR lists research/lab experience so anyone who’s cleaned glassware fits the category.

Second, you made it this far so you should know by now that correlation does not equal causation. I was told specifically on interviews when I asked about research that it is not essential for medical school admissions other than at top schools whose mission is research.

Third, we are talking about someone who hasn’t even decided whether or not they are going to try to apply to medical school and your only suggestion is.... research. That’s objectively bad advice.
I agree with what everyone before me said, but no one mentioned research so I put it out there. With how competitive things are getting I do not get how recommending someone to do research is a bad idea.

You're going to need to convince Adcoms that you won't be miserable in med school, either. Med school is a furnace.

Thanks for the response.

My brother suffered from some pretty severe mental illnesses when he was younger and got into a lot of legal trouble, so I became interested in doing legal work that represents the indigent, especially those inflicted with mental health problems. I'm in a health law class now and have spent the last semester shadowing at the local public defender (I'll be in a similar position this summer). So far, I've not only disliked the law school work to a great degree, but I've found that the legal process only treats a symptom of those who are mentally ill and rarely ever provides sufficient remedies. If anything, the system only further compounds their problems and can in many cases put them much further away from the treatment they need and the future they deserve. I'd spin my SOP as realizing those things and wanting to go into psychiatric care with the intention of tackling those problems at their source through treatment and expanding access to the indigent. Would that be sufficiently compelling?

No, it wouldn't. Sounds like you should run a nonprofit or go into health policy. That doesn't require an MD.

Hello,

I have a fairly unique situation.

I graduated in 3 years with a 3.86 (magna cum laude with Dean's list every academic term, fwiw) from a top 15 undergrad in the humanities/social sciences. I took the first year chem sequence, a biology class, and some math and would have a BCPM of 3.84.

This year, I enrolled at a top 10 law school (T13/T14 for those in the know). I did fairly average (3.3, which is median on the law school curve), because I hated the experience and found it incredibly hard to study something so terribly awful.

I'm now thinking of changing gears to do a pre-med certificate over 12 months, taking the MCAT, applying to med schools (over a glide year), and hopefully matriculating.

I'm curious how my law school GPA will be viewed and if this is feasible. The program I'm looking at says it's for career changers, so I think it makes a lot of sense in my situation.

I have no idea how your law school gpa will be viewed, it's probably a non- issue.

More concerning is that you will be labeled as a "quitter" which is the exact opposite of what you want.

Thanks for the reply.

Stay in law school. It's supposed to be boring.

With a degree from a top law school, you will have lots of opportunities in the real world. You don't have to actually practice as a lawyer!

@LawToMedSchool Law school is the suck. Just the whole fact that the value of law schools are on T14 basis and that law school applications are at an all time low is indicative of the poor reputation / saturation lawyers are facing. However, that being said not a lot of people know how awful it is to be in law school or can empathize with why you chose to preserve your humanity and exit stage left.

The responses in this thread more or less are the attitude/understanding of most people who specialize in health science/academia with little to no understanding of how much exploitative the current model is on law students and on populations that really require legal assistance. A lot of explanations will need to be tailored towards people who think that there is parity between you choosing to abandon a professional degree to another, however there are plenty of reasons why this is not the case as the two fields are drastically different.