Law School vs. Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FightingIrish01

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Instead of discussing about "choose what interests you the most," I wanted to discuss more along the lines about the effort and benefits of becoming a lawyer. Today, I discovered that my friend is gonna make a lot of money this summer and hes in law school. I am talking about 30 grand and when he graduates from law school, he'll be making 145 grand and in 7 years after being an associate, as a partner, he'll be making 1 million plus. This of course, is at a top 25 law firm (#10 to be specific), so I know that this is simply not an opportunity to get at any law firm.

Now, I know my friend worked really hard to get to where he is, and you know it was simply the usual - GPA + LSAT- which was the basis for his ability to land at a top law firm so easily. At this moment, I am beginning to consider the possiblity as a lawyer purely on a financial and stress basis as well as that I know I can handle the workload.

Well, as a premed, while I'm managing to do really well GPAwise (3.95), enjoying my courses and extracurriculars, I do not enjoy the fact that I will put 2x effort and get paid (even as a possible surgeon) half the amount I can get paid if I worked at a top law firm.

Putting the talk about attending medical school for such and such reasons, I wanted to ask your thoughts about job stability, pre-law and lawyer life, and how difficult it is to land at a top law firm. My friend basically said that after freshman year of law school, he got the position based on his GPA. Furthermore, I wanted to ask about mroe advice on how hard it is being a lawyer compared to a doctor as well as the salary/lifestyle issues. Furthermore, I am not sure, but I am not sure, but just to throw it out there, is being Asian (Pakistani) a disadvantage to landing and working at a top firm. My parents suggested that there is still a lawyer preference (for Caucasians today), and medicine is one of those fields that is strictly merit-based when you are working. So, I am a bit naive when it comes to becoming a lawyer.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Instead of discussing about "choose what interests you the most," I wanted to discuss more along the lines about the effort and benefits of becoming a lawyer. Today, I discovered that my friend is gonna make a lot of money this summer and hes in law school. I am talking about 30 grand and when he graduates from law school, he'll be making 145 grand and in 7 years after being an associate, as a partner, he'll be making 1 million plus. This of course, is at a top 25 law firm (#10 to be specific), so I know that this is simply not an opportunity to get at any law firm.

Now, I know my friend worked really hard to get to where he is, and you know it was simply the usual - GPA + LSAT- which was the basis for his ability to land at a top law firm so easily. At this moment, I am beginning to consider the possiblity as a lawyer purely on a financial and stress basis as well as that I know I can handle the workload.

Well, as a premed, while I'm managing to do really well GPAwise (3.95), enjoying my courses and extracurriculars, I do not enjoy the fact that I will put 2x effort and get paid (even as a possible surgeon) half the amount I can get paid if I worked at a top law firm.

Putting the talk about attending medical school for such and such reasons, I wanted to ask your thoughts about job stability, pre-law and lawyer life, and how difficult it is to land at a top law firm. My friend basically said that after freshman year of law school, he got the position based on his GPA. Furthermore, I wanted to ask about mroe advice on how hard it is being a lawyer compared to a doctor as well as the salary/lifestyle issues. Furthermore, I am not sure, but I am not sure, but just to throw it out there, is being Asian (Pakistani) a disadvantage to landing and working at a top firm. My parents suggested that there is still a lawyer preference (for Caucasians today), and medicine is one of those fields that is strictly merit-based when you are working. So, I am a bit naive when it comes to becoming a lawyer.

Thanks

Being a doctor is not a path to easy money. The only good reason for going into medicine is because you can't picture yourself being fulfilled and satisfied in any other line of work. Sure its a decent living, I doubt anyone would battle thru the many layers of BS we go thru to become physicians if it wasn't (250K debt and working a few years for below min wage while interest acrues on it, no thanks if there isn't something monetary at the end of the tunnel) but as a primary motivator the money will not serve to keep you happy.

That being said, your asking about law school on a premed forum, wouldn't it be a better idea to find some prelaw people to talk about this with? We have a few lawyers lurking in our midst who might be able to help you out but I don't think we're the best resource to investigate the wonders of law school.

Sounds like you're pre-med for the wrong reasons my friend. Now is the time to do some soul-searching. Perhaps take some summer internships as well as a broader course load in order to find what subjects truly pique your interest.

Yes I read the first line of your post, but let's not be ridiculous here. You can't do a cost-benefit analysis on your life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you'd prefer to be a lawyer. Go ahead and do it. It does pay better.

I don't think the medical community will be hurt by your absence. I hope you have a very successful career as a lawyer.

Hey guys,

Thanks

Eh? Law firms want URM types so they can stack race-based juries and win cases pandering to racist mindsets. My advice, and you may think it's silly, but you should change your name to something spanish sounding, assuming you truly do want to go into law.

I think you also underestimate the amount of risk and work that goes into making partner at a top law firm.

At least in my area the average lawyer is going to be paid 75ish, while the average doctor is going to make 175ish. Doctor will be (basically) guaranteed a job, not so for the laywer. The top end for a lawyer is likely higher than for a doctor, but you need to be very sure that you can be that lawyer (ie make partner at a top firm).

Doctors have twice the school and twice the pay (and get twice the respect).

This, of course, ignores the personality/life choice reasons for pursuing medicine vs law.

Hey guys,

Thanks

I think a pre-allo premed board is an incredibly strange place to ask "about job stability, pre-law and lawyer life, and how difficult it is to land at a top law firm", and "how hard it is being a lawyer compared to a doctor", because only I and about ten other people on SDN have lived the law school/lawyer life. But I will endeavor to answer your question. I appologize in advance that I will be all over the gamut here.

Job stability/salary -- unlike medicine, there are far more lawyers than there are good jobs. There are many times more lawyers coming out of law school each year than doctors. Thus competition for the good paying jobs is fierce, and job stability is not as good.

The average law school grad earns about $40k, but the range is huge, with the highest starting salary for a full time lawyer I have seen being about $175k (plus some amount of year end bonus and benefits) and the lowest I have seen at about $20k (legal aid in the SW, no bonus and few benefits). The big city big firm salary norm these days is about $145k to start, with annual increases. So it is fiercely competitive during school and interviewing season because it's not like everyone is guaranteed to earn a living let alone command a high salary. But bear in mind that because there are so many more lawyers out there, in fact likely more starting lawyers than post-residency medical school grads earn six digits in their first year of private practice -- it's just that as a percentage of the profession it is not as good. So the good students at the top schools are in pretty good shape (and certain regional schools do well, and law review at most schools do well). And as a result, school pedigree matters more. Also bear in mind that lawyers do just 3 years of school, incur less debt, and then start earning, whereas in medicine, you do 4 years of school and then at least 3 years of (lower paid) residency before you start your private practice career and start to pay down your loans. So time value of money works in the lawyer's favor -- he will be saving and investing long before any physician starts to match his paycheck. Thus every career changer from law I have come across has gotten cautioned by med school interviewers and other physicians that they will likely never get back to the same financial position if they make the change to medicine, and are likely correct.

As for job stability -- I have known folks at large law firms that went under in tight markets, and folks at law firms that were absorbed in merger by larger firms and very quickly found themselves on the streets as redundant departments -- blood in the water. I have also known people who stayed put 20 years at the same firm. And I have known folks who made a series of lateral moves, each time jumping into better salary and nicer offices -- it is a field of constant mobility, and no pattern really dominates. The folks who manage to lock in a portfolio of portable clients who will follow them whereever they end up always do best, so marketing and busness generation ("rainmaking") is key to lawyer success. If you just want to do work and get paid, or get paid to be the smartest or the best at what you do, you might be disappointed in law -- you need to land business, and the dumb guy with the high school buddy or dad who throws six digits of business to the firm annually is going to make partner faster than the guy who knows everything and publishes ten papers a year. The smart guy can get there too, but a book of business talks louder than IQ. So you need to learn how the game is played, and this too becomes a source of competition.

Pre-law life in undergrad - basically no different than premed, except that you can avoid sciences. You mostly live on a steady diet of term papers and essay tests, and take courses where you read a lot. Easy for some, harder for others. The application process is much shorter and easier, and the LSAT is less of a bear than the MCAT.

Law school life - I suggest you read Scott Turow's "1L" or watch the movie "The Paper Chase". Both take place at Harvard many decades ago (70s?), but since Harvard is the model for all law schools, most schools endeavor to capture this same kind of experience. Socratic method is big in law school, so you can expect to be put on the spot pretty much every day, which ensures that you keep up with the work. Many schools have a single exam in each course at the end of the year, so it's very all or nothing on a full year of work. And most of the exams are essay, "issue spotting" type questions, where you find the legal issues in a passage and then analyze them based on the law. Very little short answer in law school. So again, if you are the kind of person who likes to read and write a lot, this will be right in your wheelhouse. Grades matter (probably more than med school), making law review matters, getting a good summer job matters. So competition abounds.

How hard law/medicine are -- to do well in law at a big firm, you will be working long hours. Most firms work on a billable hour system, and expect you to log significant billable hours. And since you can rarely bill all of your hours, you need to expect to be working substantially longer than whatever billable hour limit gets set. Most big firm lawyers seem to work 12+ hour days. On big deals it's not unheard of to be there overnight. As an associate, you can expect to be working at least one day a weekend. There are smaller "lifestyle" firms where you can work 50 hrs/week, but they tend not to be as richly paid (associates usually earning about half). Medicine is probably a bit harder, especially during residency, but they often even out over time. Med school is much harder than law school, though. In terms of stress, they are pretty equal. In medicine you can injure someone's health if you screw up, in law, you can injure their bank account. They probably get more upset with you about the latter. You are working long hours with high expectations in both careers, and divorce, depression, alcoholism and drug addiction rates are similarly high in both fields. Neither is an easy route, stresswise. You don't go into a profession if you are stress-averse.

Asians in law -- most of my colleagues who were Asian seemed to do quite well. They are in short supply, and all law firms want diversity, largely in hopes that it opens the door to more business. I know folks who got client contact much earlier than the norm because the firm felt that an asian client would be happier with another asian face in the room. I wouldn't consider your national origins a disadvantage in law.

But OP, I think it's a mistake to not "choose what interests you the most". You have to realize that if you go into an intense profession, you will be spending most of your waking life doing it, for most of the rest of your life. It's not like undergrad where you can do your time in classes you don't enjoy because you still have a life outside of class. And if you hate your job, no paycheck is going to make it palatable. So seriously, pick something you enjoy. The financial and other rewards, although important, should be regarded as the secondary part of the inquiry.

My brother is pre-law, so I am aware of a discussion board similar to SDN called lawschooldiscussion.com (or maybe lawstudentdiscussion, they call it LSD). I think this would be a more appropriate place to ask a question such as this.

On a side note, check your motives for either one. Anytime I hear a "I can't decide between law or medicine" I immediately think that making money is the sheer motive. Law and medicine are two completely different fields, with completely different objectives, that attract people with completely different talents and interests. Most people (with some exceptions of course--you know if I'm talking about you) who are serious about medicine definitely have no interest in the law-and vice versa. It's a misconception that successful people are either lawyers or doctors so we all have to make a decision between the two. Don't find yourself stuck in a career that you hate just because you wanted to make the money. Law and medicine take a lot of time and a lot of hard work. There are plenty of successful people in other fields that they have chosen because they love doing it. And many of these people make a lot of money doing what they are doing because they love doing it and want to commit the time and energy to doing it.

I think you also underestimate the amount of risk and work that goes into making partner at a top law firm.

I agree. You must have a certain personality, a certain kind of intelligence, and be willing to kiss some butt in the process.

Grades will get you a job (maybe), but everything else gets you partnership and clients.

If it was easy everyone would be a partner at a top 25 firm. Have you seen the amount of ads in the yellow pages by lawyers?

I agree. You must have a certain personality, a certain kind of intelligence, and be willing to kiss some butt in the process.

Grades will get you a job (maybe), but everything else gets you partnership and clients.

If it was easy everyone would be a partner at a top 25 firm. Have you seen the amount of ads in the yellow pages by lawyers?

As I mentioned above, business generation tends to be the fastest and surest route to making partner. You can be abrasive as hel1 and never ever kiss butt and be dumb as a rock, but if you can bring in the rain, you do great. Being smart helps, but in law being clever/shrewd may count for more than raw IQ.

I agree with the prior poster who indicated that there isn't a good reason to be torn between these two totally disparate disciplines -- you either are interested in one or the other. But to be interested in both suggests you just want to be a professional, which is a bad reason to get into either. Of course if you are in one and years later decide, for totally different reasons and goals that you want to change careers and do the other (a "do over"), I certainly can identify.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, here is the solution for your dilemma OP: Join an MD/JD program. I m pretty sure a few med schools have this program e.g. Duke. If you're really good and really smart, go for it. End of debating!!!!!:rolleyes:

Well, here is the solution for your dilemma OP: Join an MD/JD program. I m pretty sure a few med schools have this program e.g. Duke. If you're really good and really smart, go for it. End of debating!!!!!:rolleyes:

The catch is that there are really very few jobs that require both degrees (healthcare policy, academia), and so you would end up doing one or the other anyway, or trailblazing and trying to convince potential employers why they need an employee with this combo of talents. Maybe someday there will be a niche for such a combo, but as of yet, there isn't, which is why there are so few such programs compared to MD/MBA. You will end up spending a ton of money to get a degree you likely won't use to potential. And you won't get more salary, a better lifestyle, or less stress this way, just a couple of years more debt and less income during schooling.

Agreed. E.g., a first year associate I know at one of these big fancy law firms in NYC has lately been working 12-20 hours a day, 7 days a week. Earning more money than I will be one year out of med school, sure, but certainly not working less.

Agreed. E.g., a first year associate I know at one of these big fancy law firms in NYC has lately been working 12-20 hours a day, 7 days a week. Earning more money than I will be one year out of med school, sure, but certainly not working less.

Yep. 20 hours/day is pretty irregular, but can happen now and then as you approach a closing on a big deal. It is a misconception by many on these boards that medicine has a monopoly on long hours.

Yep. 20 hours/day is pretty irregular, but can happen now and then as you approach a closing on a big deal. It is a misconception by many on these boards that medicine has a monopoly on long hours.

That's because most people never experienced these other professions or anything about them. A lot of people, not counting nontrads here, have never held another professional position in terms of something like law, PhD, etc. So they don't know what's involved in other positions besides medicine. its always easier to see greener pastures on the other side until you live the life of the other side.

yes, but they are more appropriately compensated for their time.

My father had wanted me to do law school and for a while I did look into it. Here are some webpages you should look at about the legal field from those that are doing it:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/
http://www.lawstudentparadise.com/forums/
http://www.greedyassociates.com/

The last one is a law forum for practicing lawyers so that you may more relevent to you.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to be a professional or aiming for ambitious fields. But you have to remember that demanding profession means you really have to have an interest in the field because you're be surrounded by the work day in and day out. Law and medicine are a workoholic's dream.

Also, what looks 'easy' to you isn't necessarily easy for those that are doing it. There are people who thinks I had it 'easy' going into med school. It looks like I just filed an application and waited on my butt for my acceptance when there were a lot of work and anguish that went into my application.

I agree that law school route is easier from an academic point of view: 3 years and you're out making money. But also remember that it is competitive to get the top spots and that you will be working long hours to earn your big paycheck.

A few things I didn't like about the legal field when I looked into it:

1. You may have a tradeoff between 'doing good' and making money. You may want to work for a nonprofit or human rights but the pay may not be the six or seven figure salary you were hoping for, or you can work in corporate where the big bucks are but end up feeling like you are not doing society any service by making money for rich clients.

This isn't to say you can't both do good and make money but there is a bigger tradeoff between the two than medicine. In medicine, whether you do surgery to the poor or rich, I feel that you are helping people. To me, it is far easier to help people and get paid well in medicine than in law.

2. Billable hours. In my former IT company, we had to write down how many hours we worked in a day and I HATED that. We were suppose to work 45-50 hrs/week and even though we never billed people for it, the effect was similar: people felt like they had X number of hours to do no matter what and I found it annoying at best, and invasive at worst.

Medicine will make you work long hours but I feel the system rewards you with efficiency in number of patients you see rather than with the number of hours you can make your clients pay. However, this is a personal view and many people may not see it this way.

Anyway, I suggest speaking with a few lawyers, something that I did as well as going to law forums to see what it's like. Also do the same with medicine. The two fields are dissimilar enough that I think it would be easy for you to see which way your interest lie.

1. You may have a tradeoff between 'doing good' and making money. You may want to work for a nonprofit or human rights but the pay may not be the six or seven figure salary you were hoping for, or you can work in corporate where the big bucks are but end up feeling like you are not doing society any service by making money for rich clients.

This isn't to say you can't both do good and make money but there is a bigger tradeoff between the two than medicine. In medicine, whether you do surgery to the poor or rich, I feel that you are helping people. To me, it is far easier to help people and get paid well in medicine than in law.

While I largely agree with the rest of your post, I would argue that law is generally about "helping people" too. The only tradeoff you might see is what people you get to help, and the same can be found in medicine -- you can work with poor people in the free clinics (as you can in legal aid/nonprofits) or you can do cosmetic surgery in Beverly Hills (or represent corporate america). Idealism dies hard when you have to pay down big student loans no matter what career you choose. In this respect, the roles are not dissimilar -- in both cases you are providing a service and trying to help people into a better situation. In neither profession do you generally handpick clients/patients, and so some will always be more virtuous than others. Such is the life of being a hired gun/scalpel. And quite frankly, some of the biggest corporate clients do the most good -- creating numerous jobs, public housing, lifesaving pharmaceuticals etc. I suspect the impact of some of the deals I have worked on have had positive effect on the lives of thousands. But unlike medicine, you don't really get to see it first hand -- you wield your power from a distance, on phones, at your desk, in various conference board rooms, making the deal happen under terms best for your client's purposes, smoothing over all the numerous glitches.

OP doesn't really get the whole salary thing. If his friend is at a top 14 law school he will make 140k the year he graduates. That is true. He will also be working absolutely death hours. Those hours will not relent for many many years. If he doesn't burn out (most do) he will go one of two ways. Up or out, (7-9 years as an associate and then he's shown the door), which usually results in the person going on to have a mediocre career in a smaller law firm. Or he makes partner and makes a million plus.

Making partner is roughly like getting drafted to the NBA from college basketball. People making partner at big corporate firms are the ridiculously few.

OP doesn't really get the whole salary thing. If his friend is at a top 14 law school he will make 140k the year he graduates. That is true. He will also be working absolutely death hours. Those hours will not relent for many many years. If he doesn't burn out (most do) he will go one of two ways. Up and out, (7 years as an associate and then he's shown the door), and then he goes on to have a mediocre career in a smaller law firm. Or he makes partner and makes a million plus.

That is roughly like getting drafted to the NBA from college basketball. People making partner at big corporate firms are the ridiculously few.

A lot of places have longer than 7 year partnership tracks these days. So it might be 10 years until up and out. And most firms now have various non-equity tracks such that they try to keep folks on as salaried non-partners after the partnership decision year.

I'm not sure moving to a smaller law firm necessarilly equates to "mediocre career". Certainly the maximum salary attainable is lower (partners at the successful mid-sized and boutique places are frequently in the $200k+ range) but the hours are a lot better and the chance to make partner is a lot better. Plenty of folks voluntarilly bail long before partnership decision years to get the lifestyle, autonomy, and adequate salary these places afford.

Again, bear in mind that "ridiculously few" is very small by percentage but not necessarilly by pure number when you are dealing with so many more lawyers/lawfirms as compared to medicine. There are more large law firms in any one large city alone than teams in the entire NBA.

A lot of places have longer than 7 year partnership tracks these days. So it might be 10 years until up and out. And most firms now have various non-equity tracks such that they try to keep folks on as salaried non-partners after the partnership decision year.

I'm not sure moving to a smaller law firm necessarilly equates to "mediocre career". Certainly the maximum salary attainable is lower (partners at the successful mid-sized and boutique places are frequently in the $200k+ range) but the hours are a lot better and the chance to make partner is a lot better. Plenty of folks voluntarilly bail long before partnership decision years to get the lifestyle, autonomy, and adequate salary these places afford.

Again, bear in mind that "ridiculously few" is very small by percentage but not necessarilly by pure number when you are dealing with so many more lawyers/lawfirms as compared to medicine.

yeesh, 10 years? seems like a long time to wait. The uncertainty would probably kill me.

I really do equate partner at a small boutique as mediocre. They spent 7-10 years of their life slaving away at a law firm to make a salary comparable to most doctors. But their work is 10 million times more tedious.

I'd say the percentage is all that matters eh? Were talking about a person's actual likelihood of making ridiculous bank. There are also obviously fewer d-1 college basketball players then corporate law hopefuls.

call me a bit idealistic but...

Medical education does not exist to provide students with a way of making a living, but to ensure the health of the community.
-Rudolf Virchow

You should read as much virchow as possible and if you're still on the fence about becoming a physician, then safe to say, you probably need to be a lawyer and enjoy racking up billable hours for your clients.

I really do equate partner at a small boutique as mediocre. They spent 7-10 years of their life slaving away at a law firm to make a salary comprable to most doctors. But their work is 10 million times more tedious.

Well, tedium is in the eye of the beholder. Many lawyers actually like what they do, and wouldn't trade it for the role of a doctor. Most of my colleagues thought I was crazy to change careers. And a lot of people I know bailed on big firm life for instant partnership at smaller places and are much happier (and some are actually much richer).

I don't really get the mediocre thing -- that might be pre-allo youth talking -- it's really more whether you want to regularly be a very small cog in a $50,000,000 deal or running the show in a $5,000,000 one. The former is perhaps "sexier" in the legal vernacular, but I wouldn't exactly equate the latter with mediocrity.

Well, tedium is in the eye of the beholder. Many lawyers actually like what they do, and wouldn't trade it for the role of a doctor. Most of my colleagues thought I was crazy to change careers.

very true. I' was really just trying to convey to op that law isn't easy millions by any means.

If that's really his goal he should go the finance route. If he performs there he can make a million + without any management position.

very true. I' was really just trying to convey to op that law isn't easy millions by any means.

Absolutely. I know and worked with quite a few millionaires in law, but I doubt any would suggest it came easy. But if you aren't risk averse, the ceiling is probably higher in law these days.

Well, tedium is in the eye of the beholder. Many lawyers actually like what they do, and wouldn't trade it for the role of a doctor. Most of my colleagues thought I was crazy to change careers. And a lot of people I know bailed on big firm life for instant partnership at smaller places and are much happier (and some are actually much richer).

I don't really get the mediocre thing -- that might be pre-allo youth talking -- it's really more whether you want to regularly be a very small cog in a $50,000,000 deal or running the show in a $5,000,000 one. The former is perhaps "sexier" in the legal vernacular, but I wouldn't exactly equate the latter with mediocrity.

i'm defining mediocrity as spending your days and nights writing legal jargon on contracts so two corporations you don't care about at all can broker some deal you also dont care about, so you can make 150 grand a year and still can't pay for your kid's private university.

i wasn't really commenting on just the size of the deals.

Absolutely. I know and worked with quite a few millionaires in law, but I doubt any would suggest it came easy. But if you aren't risk averse, the ceiling is probably higher in law these days.

true that, just ask john edwards

Why not look at ibanking if you are looking at law school and med school?

If you are trying to decide between law school and med school, you are probably not ready to go to either. They lead to completely different careers that require very different skills. People mistakenly put law and medical school as the only way to intellectual prestige and money, they are not. You just have not been looking hard enough.

i'm defining mediocrity as spending your days and nights writing legal jargon on contracts so two corporations you don't care about at all can broker some deal you also dont care about, so you can make 150 grand a year and still can't pay for your kid's private university.

i wasn't really commenting on just the size of the deals.

I'm not sure that's quite the way people who enjoy law see it. To you and many in preallo it may seem like legal jargon, but many lawyers would portray it as doing the detail legwork on exciting and interesting deals, negotiating terms with their counterparts, trying to win a game of words, posturing. And most in law genuinely like a lot of their clients, corporate or not, and are trying to win a better legal position for them. Corporate clients aren't faceless creatures -- you work directly with the executives, founders, CFOs, and it's really no different than representing individuals, except that businesses are more likely to pay your fees.

In law, the size of the deal is precisely what makes it sexy and that and the size of your role in it are what separates big from small firm work. To me, mediocre is someone who isn't doing well and not working on interesting things. But you can be a success in both large and small firms, working on interesting and sexy deals and paying your kids' tuition. The distinction is often a question of whether you value money more or lifestyle more, not between success and mediocrity. The same holds true in medicine -- you will find folks genuinely excited about their high paying surgery jobs and folks who perhaps prefer one of the less well compensated lifestyle fields (psych, peds,?). I doubt you would really categorize either as mediocre.

While I largely agree with the rest of your post, I would argue that law is generally about "helping people" too. The only tradeoff you might see is what people you get to help, and the same can be found in medicine -- you can work with poor people in the free clinics (as you can in legal aid/nonprofits) or you can do cosmetic surgery in Beverly Hills (or represent corporate america). Idealism dies hard when you have to pay down big student loans no matter what career you choose. In this respect, the roles are not dissimilar -- in both cases you are providing a service and trying to help people into a better situation. In neither profession do you generally handpick clients/patients, and so some will always be more virtuous than others. Such is the life of being a hired gun/scalpel. And quite frankly, some of the biggest corporate clients do the most good -- creating numerous jobs, public housing, lifesaving pharmaceuticals etc. I suspect the impact of some of the deals I have worked on have had positive effect on the lives of thousands. But unlike medicine, you don't really get to see it first hand -- you wield your power from a distance, on phones, at your desk, in various conference board rooms, making the deal happen under terms best for your client's purposes, smoothing over all the numerous glitches.

I understand what you're trying to say, but I just find it easier to do something gratifying on a personal scale as a doctor than as a lawyer. It's the same reason I quit IT. While my job as a programmer is 'helping' someone, it is indirect and it may not be a direct benefit to the people that needs the immediate care.

Also, as a corporate lawyer, I am helping big corporations which may or may not be directly beneficial to society. As a doctor, the majority of work will not be cosmetic, and so even if a spoiled heiress came walking into my door, I could still treat that person and 'help' them.

As a corporate lawyer, I feel my job could encompass good stuff (helping pharm company patent drugs) OR not so good (helping Paris Hilton get out of assault charges). I feel that medicine will give me more chances to do good than law without sacrificing a decent salary as well.

FWIW, I think I would have picked patent law if I went to law school. Good works, good salary, not too many 80 hours weeks.

I used to be pre-law and I actually did apply for law school for the coming fall semester but I'm deciding not to go. Why? Because it's all about what I want to do. After visiting the schools, talking with admin/alumni, and some law students I just realized I wasn't cut out for it. It wasn't the work load or anything like that, it was just that I realized my personality and interests didn't really gel with law.

For one thing, I prefer to work with people instead of against them. I just don't have that hardball personality that you need for law. I'm definitely no pushover, but I could never do that intimidation thing (at least not everyday).

I've done my fair share of doctor shadowing and hospital volunteering when I was younger and I was really excited about doing it. Law unfortunately wasn't that fun, filling out tons and tons of paperwork. I know doctors have to do some paperwork to, but not as much as lawyers. Now that I look back at it, the only reason why I decided to try out law was because there wasn't anything else I was qualified to do right out of undergrad at the time (I haven't yet finished my pre-med requirements).

I'm also not going to pretend the money isn't a factor. Like someone said before, you wouldn't be putting in so much effort to get so little in return. But money's definitely not the big factor in my decision. Again, if I wanted to, I could probably do law and make just as much or more with more or less the same amount of effort.

Simply put, it's a personal decision and you have to take in account everything. However, I honestly believe that if you're going into medicine only for the money or the prestige, then you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

Honestly, while his post might hint at being disingenuous towards a career in medicine, I know plenty of people who have tried to choose between law and health, including myself. I love history and science. Both probably about equally.

I was torn between both professions until I realized

A. I was much more likely to succeed on my own merit in medicine than in law
B. Job security and tangible payoff were much more concrete in medicine than in law
C. Personable contact with people in medicine was much more honest (in most specialities) than in law, which is great since I'm a people person.

Also, as a corporate lawyer, I am helping big corporations which may or may not be directly beneficial to society. As a doctor, the majority of work will not be cosmetic, and so even if a spoiled heiress came walking into my door, I could still treat that person and 'help' them.

As a corporate lawyer, I feel my job could encompass good stuff (helping pharm company patent drugs) OR not so good (helping Paris Hilton get out of assault charges).

Both fields do good, help people. You seem to be hung up on the Hollywood notion that big corporations are faceless entities. But in fact you work with CFOs, CEOs and other executives who are often very nice people seeking to do positive things. I can point to a lot of buildings, businesses and products that house and help and employ a lot of people that I had an integral role in making the deal happen the way it did, which was one of the cool things about my prior job. There are lots of things I didn't like about being a lawyer, but making a difference and not helping people wasn't actually one of them. Folks in both fields come to you with problems, and you provide a service and try to help them out, put them in a better position than when they came in, based on your skillset. As a doctor, for all you know you could be healing a whole host of evil doers, gang bangers, drug dealers etc on a daily basis. You don't pick and choose who gets sick/injured, (to some extent lawyers pick their clients more than doctors pick their patients, since lawyers actively pitch their services to desirable corporate clients ("beauty shows")) and so while you may be healing the individual, you may not be "doing good".

As for your latter comment I quoted, a corporate lawyer doesn't practice criminal law and so no, you absolutely couldn't be involved in getting Paris Hilton off on an assault charge (you would not be competant to handle such a case). Assuming you represented the Hilton family in corporate matters, a different department at your firm might handle that issue for the client, or you might hire another lawyer who specializes in such matters to do it. Again, only on TV/Hollywood does the same lawyer practice in multiple fields such as this.

Both fields do good, help people. You seem to be hung up on the Hollywood notion that big corporations are faceless entities. But in fact you work with CFOs, CEOs and other executives who are often very nice people seeking to do positive things. I can point to a lot of buildings, businesses and products that house and help and employ a lot of people that I had an integral role in making the deal happen the way it did, which was one of the cool things about my prior job. There are lots of things I didn't like about being a lawyer, but making a difference and not helping people wasn't actually one of them. Folks in both fields come to you with problems, and you provide a service and try to help them out, put them in a better position than when they came in, based on your skillset. As a doctor, for all you know you could be healing a whole host of evil doers, gang bangers, drug dealers etc on a daily basis. You don't pick and choose who gets sick/injured, (to some extent lawyers pick their clients more than doctors pick their patients, since lawyers actively pitch their services to desirable corporate clients ("beauty shows")) and so while you may be healing the individual, you may not be "doing good".

As for your latter comment I quoted, a corporate lawyer doesn't practice criminal law and so no, you absolutely couldn't be involved in getting Paris Hilton off on an assault charge (you would not be competant to handle such a case). Assuming you represented the Hilton family in corporate matters, a different department at your firm might handle that issue for the client, or you might hire another lawyer who specializes in such matters to do it. Again, only on TV/Hollywood does the same lawyer practice in multiple fields such as this.

I was just using a high priced criminal lawyer as another example, not to imply that a corporate lawyer can also work on criminal cases. Don't worry, I actually understand that lawyers can do civil or criminal law but usually not both. ;)

And I absolutely do not watch Law and Order. :p

And I'm not talking about representing gang-bangers or anything like that. I just believe as a lawyer, I am more likely than a doctor to end up doing something that is not really beneficial to society.

As a doctor, I feel that unless I am the small slice of physicians that do non-reconstructive comestic work, every patient that walks through my door are in need of medical care, including criminals and gang-bangers, and this aligns with my ethics of helping people.

As a corporate lawyer or a high priced criminal lawyer, I feel that my job may or may not be beneficial in that way....my services may be in line with my ethics or may not. For example, if I worked for a large company as their in-house counsel, I may have to deal with lawsuits which may or may not be something I support but since I represent my company, I can't just hop over to the other side. Ditto when representing a criminal that I feel is guilty.

However, I understand that everyone deserves to have legal counsel whether they are guilty or innocent....but I would feel uncomfortable giving the counsel to someone that I feel is guilty, even as I feel good about providing medical care to that same criminal.

Oh come on, you know that all lawyers have a questional moral compass, after all its the 99% of them that make the other 1% look bad right?? Lawyers are the reason our healthcare system, heck our nation as a whole, is decaying. Isn't that why you turned away from all that to embrace your humanity as an MD? :D

:lol:

lol OP, as others have pointed out, just the fact that you're asking for us to help you decide between these two completely disparate fields (and to make things even more obvious, because of money) means that you probably wouldn't make it as a doc at this point.

While you're at it, you might as well throw in "hot shot wall streeter" too, I mean you get 60K+signing+annual bonus right out of college (hits 3 figures fairly easily at most firms, at least last year), and if you impress them over the next 2 years you get to stay and then get bumped to associate.

Best of all, on wall street wanting to make a ton of money is perfectly acceptable since that's your job anyway :laugh:

Isn't that why you turned away from all that to embrace your humanity as an MD? :D

Hardly. I outgrew such idealism long ago. My motivations were more based on personal interests, and the question of "Is this what you see yourself doing for the next 40 years". As I said before, there are lots of reasons you might not want to be a lawyer, but "helping people" isn't really one of them. There are many ways to help people and society as a lawyer.

Corporate lawyers certainly aren't driving up healthcare costs, and without them, you would be practicing medicine without that hospital, technology or meds.

call me a bit idealistic but...

Medical education does not exist to provide students with a way of making a living, but to ensure the health of the community.
-Rudolf Virchow

That being said, if medicine didn't pay money, there wouldn't be any doctors. And if there were any, instead of working for free at hospitals, they'd all be $800,000 in debt, working two shifts trying to pay it off.

Ensuring the health of a community begins by ensuring your own survival. You can't help others much, if you yourself are in deep financial trouble.

This was a great thread, thanks to the posters and specially Law2Doc for the realistic and thoughtful insights into the field.

An appreciable lack of morals, ala Gordon Gecko, probably doesn't hurt especially if accompanied by a silver tongue.