Lead Shielding in a Pregnant CT Scan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PaddyofNine

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Note: I'm cross-posting this in a few forums, as I'm trying to get as many different :confused: views as possible!

I work as a radiology aide (essentially a technologist's assistant) in a large teaching hospital attached to my university - I'm a med student there.

Today, we had a lady in for a CT to rule out a pulmonary embolism. The procedure was performed on our new Siemens Somatom Sensation 64 scanner. The technologists present seemed to differ on whether to offer the lady lead protection during the scan. Some were worried that this might increase back-scatter. Others felt that this was not an issue, and that lead protection of the foetus was more important. There is no clinical protocol in place regarding this matter, and this is something we're working on.

I'm curious - what is the situation regarding this matter in your CT workplace? Would you have reccomended a lead shield? Do you know of any literature to back this up? I've been searching PubMed and the like for the last hour or two but to no avail!

I'm very interested in responses to this - please help!

Many thanks in advance...

Members don't see this ad.