10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Updated on Oct 19, 2009.

How to Get Leadership Positions in College

#1 Get to know people.
#2 Look for spots.
#3 Go there and nominate for yourself.

Positive personal traits: Confidence, confidence and confidence!!! Don't be afraid to speak up your ideas.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would think that just about any thing where other people look to you for direction would count as leadership. Like maybe your cooking class...

I am also interested in getting elected to club leadership positions...I will need something like this for my apps, but i am not an outgoing or leader-ish type of person, so I think that is gonna be hard for me. Any tips?

Well, pretty much any position in which you mentor or tutor another individual counts as a leadership position, for example being a TA or tutoring an introductory biology course.

Then, of course, there's the usual leadership positions, such as being president of an organization. I am not sure how the election process works (I imagine elections are different for each organization), but motivated, outgoing, hardworking, and well-liked individuals always snag these positions!

Glowworm, I'm the same way. Come on, no tips? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Being a leader is easy: be decisive and confident, if your confident people will follow.

Being a leader is easy: be decisive and confident, if your confident people will follow.

Sounds nice :)

Any leadership positions for you for far Local ?

I am also interested in getting elected to club leadership positions...I will need something like this for my apps, but i am not an outgoing or leader-ish type of person, so I think that is gonna be hard for me. Any tips?

Well that'll be hard because unfortunately there are some people who are the outgoing leader-ish types that will be trying to be...leaders. I understand that it'll be hard but if you're serious about attaining leadership status in some of these clubs you will have to step out of your comfort level and try to channel some charisma and charm.

Either that or you can simply start the club/organization yourself which almost always means you'll be the leader of it as well.

Local said:

This is a lot easier said than done for most people. If someone is not decisive and confident simply willing themself to be so will not make it any easier on them.

p

Either that or you can simply start the club/organization yourself which almost always means you'll be the leader of it as well.

Yeah that might actually be easier for me than being outgoing. I had thought about starting a libertarian club, but I think I would be the only member.

This is a lot easier said than done for most people. If someone is not decisive and confident simply willing themself to be so will not make it any easier on them.

I will try to just throw away my caution when I get to college since no one there knows that I'm "supposed" to be quiet, but I'm not sure if i can just completely change my personality like that.

I will try to just throw away my caution when I get to college since no one there knows that I'm "supposed" to be quiet, but I'm not sure if i can just completely change my personality like that.

Don't think of it as much as 'changing your personality' but as being more open with your opinions and organizing your ideas so others can help you carry them out.

Exactly--I'm feeling the same way about college. It's a blank slate, and nobody has these annoying preconceptions about me. I can hardly wait!

You'n'me, gloworm, you'n'me. We quiet-gone-crazy gals are going to take the world by storm!

Exactly--I'm feeling the same way about college. It's a blank slate, and nobody has these annoying preconceptions about me. I can hardly wait!

You'n'me, gloworm, you'n'me. We quiet-gone-crazy gals are going to take the world by storm!

:)

I sure hope so. I have improved a lot since grade school, when I literally would not talk at all to anyone if I didn't know them pretty well. In college I will probably be afraid of looking like an idiot in front of the "cool kids" (or even just normal people). But hopefully I will work through that with time and experience.:xf:

I sure hope so. I have improved a lot since grade school, when I literally would not talk at all to anyone if I didn't know them pretty well. In college I will probably be afraid of looking like an idiot in front of the "cool kids" (or even just normal people). But hopefully I will work through that with time and experience.:xf:

Yeah, I was always very quiet until... two years ago, really, when I started to come out of my shell. But I'm still relatively quiet, and there are some assumptions about me that I'd like to discredit, but with only a few months left, it's not worth it.

Truth be told, I always preferred my books to talking to people. I remember hating recess because I wasn't allowed to bring my book out with me. :D

It's hard for me to balance social life and study. Until, 15 years old, I pretty much talked to everyone in my school and got a crazy amounts of contact and stuff. I had many parties to attend and always hanged out with the coolest kids, although I was not the leader class inside the group. Everyone told me I am very nice and sociable but I got straight D's in grade 9. :mad:

High school is different, I am focusing on study, ECs and other stuff. And I became really quite. I found studying alone and concentrate more than talking some stupid topics in the cafeteria.

So ya, college is about balancing socializing and studying for me I guess.:D And most importantly, Get all the premed stuff done will be a very important stage in my life. I want to become a doctor no matter how the other people think about me.

Psh, "cool kids", like there are any cool kids in college...

Members don't see this ad :)
Psh, "cool kids", like there are any cool kids in college...

:laugh:

I'm not exactly painfully shy, but I lack that spark every other leader has. The issue is probably confidence, since I have never felt entitled to it!

Don't worry about the "cool kids", honestly. Having spent the early part of high school bent on pleasing everyone...I have to say it's not worth it. Be yourself, and like-minded individuals will naturally gravitate in your general direction! :D

You'll find that in college everyone is so segmented into their respective groups that the nerds think they're as much the cool kids of their group as the guys getting trashed at the frat parties. Just a matter of who you keep contact with.

Yeah, I was always very quiet until... two years ago, really, when I started to come out of my shell. But I'm still relatively quiet, and there are some assumptions about me that I'd like to discredit, but with only a few months left, it's not worth it.

Truth be told, I always preferred my books to talking to people. I remember hating recess because I wasn't allowed to bring my book out with me. :D

Ha yeah I always wanted to read during recess when I went to school, and the teachers would never let me. most of my teachers were just petty dictators.:mad:

You'll find that in college everyone is so segmented into their respective groups that the nerds think they're as much the cool kids of their group as the guys getting trashed at the frat parties. Just a matter of who you keep contact with.

Ok that sounds good, now i just need to find my group.:xf:

Tennis, im sorry, i didnt understand your question directed towards me.
Good for you glow and tib!! Good luck with it, i think you can do it!!

Tennis, im sorry, i didnt understand your question directed towards me.
Good for you glow and tib!! Good luck with it, i think you can do it!!

Have you gotten any leader positions so far ? :)

Shift manager at my work, Lacrosse, Big Brother Big Sister(club), and thats all i can think of right now.

Hey what if I helped coach my high school volleyball team. Does that count as leadership? Several other people who graduated recently help, so I am sure they would let me.

Do you have to motivate a group of individuals? Do you have to relay your knowledge to said group effectively? Do you have to understand the dynamics of individual and group relationships?

Chances are, if you can answer yes to any of the questions (and I'm sure you can make a case for all of them as a volleyball coach), you're holding a leadership position.

Those guidelines will generally apply universally.

Does teaching count as leadership experiences too then ? I have been working as a Japanese tutor for 2 years.

Also, is it common to work with students in high school to help them problems ?

Hey what if I helped coach my high school volleyball team. Does that count as leadership? Several other people who graduated recently help, so I am sure they would let me.

I think it does. You are leading a team as a coach.

Well well.. I've got a bunch of leadership positions so far.. it's not actually that hard. :D