Learning Disability

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chelu55

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, here is my problem. I graduated w/ a BS in Biology a few years ago and currently work in a hospital. Since that time I took a learning disability test and found out that I do have one, which I always presumed. I was just to stubborn to admit it at the time I graduated with a 3.0 and a science 2.8. My IQ is above average but my comprehension of material takes longer then the average person. However, because of my LD and the extra tools needed to be adequately prepared during my undergrad my grades suffered. After getting the test I was able to have extended time and a few other things. Since then I have been retaking a few prereq. classes that I could have done better on and received A's. Like everyone here I would like to get into med. school. Are there any recommendations? Am I hosed because I didn’t get the A's during my undergrad. Should I try getting a masters to show the admissions committee that I am capable of getting good grades. Do you guys/gals really think that the med schools would even care and just blow off my application.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to be able to prove to the med schools that you can be a successful medical school student. That's really what the application process is all about. You need to be able to prove that you can be academically successful despite your disability. However, your GPA is not that prohibitive if you explain your situation.

Okay, here is my problem. I graduated w/ a BS in Biology a few years ago and currently work in a hospital. Since that time I took a learning disability test and found out that I do have one, which I always presumed. I was just to stubborn to admit it at the time I graduated with a 3.0 and a science 2.8. My IQ is above average but my comprehension of material takes longer then the average person. However, because of my LD and the extra tools needed to be adequately prepared during my undergrad my grades suffered. After getting the test I was able to have extended time and a few other things. Since then I have been retaking a few prereq. classes that I could have done better on and received A's. Like everyone here I would like to get into med. school. Are there any recommendations? Am I hosed because I didn’t get the A's during my undergrad. Should I try getting a masters to show the admissions committee that I am capable of getting good grades. Do you guys/gals really think that the med schools would even care and just blow off my application.

just dealing with what you told us........you shouldnt be a doctor....who must learn massive amounts of material in short amounts of time....if you had trouble with undergrad...you will be trashed in med school....also if your in surgery and he starts too bleed you will take too long to think and he will die....think about something less hard....maybe with GOLDEN ARCHES...

Members don't see this ad :)
just dealing with what you told us........you shouldnt be a doctor....who must learn massive amounts of material in short amounts of time....if you had trouble with undergrad...you will be trashed in med school....also if your in surgery and he starts too bleed you will take too long to think and he will die....think about something less hard....maybe with GOLDEN ARCHES...

wow i really hope that is a joke and not serious, that doesn't mean that someone wil bleed out and that someone with a ld will just sit there trying to think

If it a learning disability that you can find your way around I think it wil be ok. I have ADD, I get extended time on test if I choose to use it which I only do for sciences. I know that undergrad has not been cake and know that med school wil be even harder, but I also know that I will have to work harder than most because of this disbailty.

First of all Ms. Talula this was a serious question and your comment of golden arches was completely uncalled for. I am not be a 4.0 student but I am an extremely intelligent person. In fact I declined my acceptance to an accredited pharmacy school to pursue my M.D. dreams. Though it is not a M.D. program, it is still a very competitive professional program to get in. So I think you should keep your ignorant comments to yourself.
Secondly, your comment of bleeding and taking to long is absurd. My only problem is it takes me longer to comprehend material. It doesn't mean I cant comprehend material or even forget what I learned. Especially what I would do or not do if someone would bleed, as you stated. This by the way was a horrible example of why I should not pursue a MD career. You are correct regarding the extensive amount of material that needs to be learned in a relatively short amount of time. Which myself and everybody else is well ware of .So thank you for that.
If anyone else would like to take my thread seriously and give his/her own opinion please feel free to comment. Thank you.

Ms. Talula, way to be a jerk.

I don't really have any answers for you, but I did want to say good luck - and don't get discouraged. The SDN crowd can be pretty vicious and very competitive. It seems to be the opinion that one has to be super human to get into med school - or that a person is less worthy of med school if one does not define perfection. Well, I'm relieved thats not the case. I don't know all of my classmates, but I know quite a few of them, and I know me, and for the most part, we're all pretty normal people. I'm sure I have classmates that got a 36 on their MCAT/4.0 in school and have been busy carrying on Mother Theresa's work since she died, but I haven't met a classmate yet that didn't seem on the same playing field as I am.
Basically, all I can say is do what you can with what you've got. I can't tell you what the end result is, but contrary to SDN opinion, the schools aren't always all about the numbers. They may have a cut off point (in which case you may have to bring your scores up some to not get automatically rejected) but I think they try to look at the whole package. At least my school did, cuz if they hadn't, I probably wouldn't be there right now (oh, and I'm doing fine for those that might be critical, top 1/2 of my class).

Okay, here is my problem. I graduated w/ a BS in Biology a few years ago and currently work in a hospital. Since that time I took a learning disability test and found out that I do have one, which I always presumed. I was just to stubborn to admit it at the time I graduated with a 3.0 and a science 2.8. My IQ is above average but my comprehension of material takes longer then the average person. However, because of my LD and the extra tools needed to be adequately prepared during my undergrad my grades suffered. After getting the test I was able to have extended time and a few other things. Since then I have been retaking a few prereq. classes that I could have done better on and received A's. Like everyone here I would like to get into med. school. Are there any recommendations? Am I hosed because I didn't get the A's during my undergrad. Should I try getting a masters to show the admissions committee that I am capable of getting good grades. Do you guys/gals really think that the med schools would even care and just blow off my application.

Getting a master's might seem like a good option..you can show you are capable of doing well in higher level courses as well as bring up your GPA. I don't think med schools will just blow off your application if you show you are dedicated to this field and can keep up with the rest of the crowd despite your condition.

Getting a master's might seem like a good option..you can show you are capable of doing well in higher level courses as well as bring up your GPA. I don't think med schools will just blow off your application if you show you are dedicated to this field and can keep up with the rest of the crowd despite your condition.

Grade inflation is so great in graduate school that a masters degree isn't much help in making up for a 2.8 science gpa as an undergrad.

Retaking the pre-reqs could help a little with showing that you can do the work but it won't help with the gpa and a poor gpa could get you cut just by the numbers.

I've heard that the osteopathic schools drop the first grade and substitute the re-take when computing gpa so you might have better luck in that system. You should check out the philosophy and shadow a D.O. if you think that route might be the right one for you.

In medical school, information comes at you hard and fast (it has been compared to taking a drink of water from a firehose). Go over to the allo board and ask about the volume of material that students are expected to master in a defined period of time. Before you get too far down the pre-med path, be sure that the destination is one where you can thrive.

wow i really hope that is a joke and not serious, that doesn't mean that someone wil bleed out and that someone with a ld will just sit there trying to think

If it a learning disability that you can find your way around I think it wil be ok. I have ADD, I get extended time on test if I choose to use it which I only do for sciences. I know that undergrad has not been cake and know that med school wil be even harder, but I also know that I will have to work harder than most because of this disbailty.

do you have a disablitly or metal ******ation?.....you dont use proper grammer of spell even close to correct. sciences are the whole medical school...so you will always need extra time....time that there isnt in med school due to the sheer volume of info.....think for a minute why would they give a SLOW person over a more intellegent person who will make their school look better...they wouldnt...all im saying is get used to the phrase...."would you like fries with that".....just trying to help you out...

First of all Ms. Talula this was a serious question and your comment of golden arches was completely uncalled for. I am not be a 4.0 student but I am an extremely intelligent person. In fact I declined my acceptance to an accredited pharmacy school to pursue my M.D. dreams. Though it is not a M.D. program, it is still a very competitive professional program to get in. So I think you should keep your ignorant comments to yourself.
Secondly, your comment of bleeding and taking to long is absurd. My only problem is it takes me longer to comprehend material. It doesn’t mean I cant comprehend material or even forget what I learned. Especially what I would do or not do if someone would bleed, as you stated. This by the way was a horrible example of why I should not pursue a MD career. You are correct regarding the extensive amount of material that needs to be learned in a relatively short amount of time. Which myself and everybody else is well ware of .So thank you for that.
If anyone else would like to take my thread seriously and give his/her own opinion please feel free to comment. Thank you.

uh i state my comments since you asked for help....if you cant accept help then dont ask for it.....(everyone well have to wait a while for the op to comprehend this message) ld people arent as smart as normal people....no offense but you were born that way so its not your fault.....just dont be surprised when they as you in interview s (assuming somehow you slip past and get some) "so how are you planning on competing with NORMAL people... just trying to help you (the less fortunate) ........no offense intended..

do you have a disablitly or metal ******ation?.....you dont use proper grammer of spell even close to correct. sciences are the whole medical school...so you will always need extra time....time that there isnt in med school due to the sheer volume of info.....think for a minute why would they give a SLOW person over a more intellegent person who will make their school look better...they wouldnt...all im saying is get used to the phrase...."would you like fries with that".....just trying to help you out...

I left out a word by mistake, you understood what I was saying. I hate to proof read and don't online. You made a grammer error as well, so you're not as perfect as you think you are. Just because it takes me slightly longer in no way makes me slow. I currently know resident who has ADD and he's doing fine and I know another resident with ADD and she did fine. People can do it, and that in no way makes them slow. I would be careful because it seems that you have poor manners which would equate to poor bedside manners.

uh i state my comments since you asked for help....if you cant accept help then dont ask for it.....(everyone well have to wait a while for the op to comprehend this message) ld people arent as smart as normal people....no offense but you were born that way so its not your fault.....just dont be surprised when they as you in interview s (assuming somehow you slip past and get some) "so how are you planning on competing with NORMAL people... just trying to help you (the less fortunate) ........no offense intended..

You don't have to volunteer the fact that you have LD and most won't be able to even tel in an interview. I have learning disbaility like the thread starter and my IQ is above average, so it turns out I'm "smarter" than "normal" people.

Members don't see this ad :)

this is a perfect example of how a little bit of knowledge can be a very dangerous thing.

if you knew a little bit more, then you'd know that there are people who are fast processrs and people who are slow processors. there is no causal relationship and there is only a minimal correlative relationship between intelligence and processing speed.

albert einstein was a slow processor.

You don't have to volunteer the fact that you have LD and most won't be able to even tel in an interview. I have learning disbaility like the thread starter and my IQ is above average, so it turns out I'm "smarter" than "normal" people.

ya ok but your a (deet da deet).... not volunteering it..i mean cmon...they ask the op why be a doctor.....(after 20 min to comprehend the question) i think they will know...smarter than normal, yes perhaps...but DUMBER than students who want to be doctors....

this is a perfect example of how a little bit of knowledge can be a very dangerous thing.

if you knew a little bit more, then you'd know that there are people who are fast processrs and people who are slow processors. there is no causal relationship and there is only a minimal correlative relationship between intelligence and processing speed.

albert einstein was a slow processor.

ya but einstein didnt have to think fast to save peoples dying lives either...

Grade inflation is so great in graduate school that a masters degree isn't much help in making up for a 2.8 science gpa as an undergrad.

Retaking the pre-reqs could help a little with showing that you can do the work but it won't help with the gpa and a poor gpa could get you cut just by the numbers.

I've heard that the osteopathic schools drop the first grade and substitute the re-take when computing gpa so you might have better luck in that system. You should check out the philosophy and shadow a D.O. if you think that route might be the right one for you.

In medical school, information comes at you hard and fast (it has been compared to taking a drink of water from a firehose). Go over to the allo board and ask about the volume of material that students are expected to master in a defined period of time. Before you get too far down the pre-med path, be sure that the destination is one where you can thrive.

Geez... from your repeated posts about a master's program, you make it sound like only stupid people go for a master's or that you might as well drop your pursuit of a medical degree if you go for a master's in order to try to accomplish two goals at once of showing medical schools that you can handle an advanced science curriculum, while obtaining a good backup (in case you don't get into medical school -- which is going to happen about 99.99999% of the time, based on what you think).

I have tremendous respect for your opinion and have said so before; I know that you are a second reader at an upper tier medical school and I am not trying to say in any way, shape or form that you are wrong. I just think that you are being pretty harsh -- say what you want about my master's program but it is more demanding than taking art classes or something and there are a good amount of people in my program not only able to handle medical school, but also are applying themselves. I mean, the coursework I am going through, I'd put up against any higher level coursework at any elite undergraduate university. Just because you are expected to maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 in order to stay in the program doesn't mean that people in it don't do as much work or don't deserve their high grades. I mean... the people that can't maintain a minimum of a 3.0 GPA in a master's program (and thus consequently kicked out) aren't exactly those that apply to med school themselves. I'm not saying that grade inflation isn't there, but it is not to the level that you're describing at the university that I'm in.

I've said my piece repeatedly about the virtues of a post-bac vs. master's, and there are advantages and disadvantages to both. Getting a master's degree is hardly the end of the world as you appear to make it out to be. Your opinion, while apparently very reputable and very well-known, is one person's opinion, and to be quite honest, if you really have that low of an opinion about the graduate program that I will be coming from, then I hope that your school is not the one reach school that I am applying to, because even though I would put the program I'm in up against any similar program in the United States, judging by your viewpoint, I'm no better than a turtle.

I really hope that other admissions committee members are able to look past the numbers more than you are, because if they all think like you, then I have just wasted a lot of time and money, even though by many other measures, I am just as capable of handling the medical school curriculum and of becoming just as good a physician as many other applicants out there.

OP, I think you'd be best served by doing a post-bacc of some sort (perhaps informal), taking a full courseload of upper-level sciences and making absolutely sure that you can handle the work before proceeding further down this path. Even if you can get your GPA up to a range acceptable to adcoms, or "package" your application in such a way as to gain acceptance, you'll not have gained much if you can't keep up in med school.

I think it's naive to expect them to make concessions for you the way your undergrad might have after your LD was diagnosed. I'd actually be very hesitant, personally, to even mention a learning disability in the application process, unless I could prove that I'd overcome it in some way (say, medication or developing different study strategies) that put the burden on me and did not require any extra effort on the administration's part. There are just too many qualified applicants for every spot who need no extra assistance. I think they'd find it hard to justify admitting you if you go in saying "I need x, and y, and z accommodations," when there are a dozen equally compelling applicants that could fit into the system and would give their right nut to do so.

I don't know if this is "right" or not. Certainly schools have an interest in making the playing field fair, and admissions equally accessible, to everyone. For the most part I think they take seriously their role as gatekeepers to the profession. At some point, though, they have to be wary of not going "too far" in opening the door to people who may face real difficulties in getting through med school. Contrary to SDN logic adcoms will not admit underqualified URMs, even if it would serve to diversify the student body, because the school gains nothing by having people fail out. I think the same logic applies to people who will have trouble with the academic requirements of med school through no fault of their own (as with an LD).

I guess what I'm saying is that the onus is on you to prove you can hack it. You have a lot of work ahead of you. But people have done it before.

I love that talula criticized someone else's grammar ... and intelligence. :laugh: Who says pre-meds don't have a sense of humor?

ya ok but your a (deet da deet).... not volunteering it..i mean cmon...they ask the op why be a doctor.....(after 20 min to comprehend the question) i think they will know...smarter than normal, yes perhaps...but DUMBER than students who want to be doctors....

nope, most people don't know and can't tell. when i tell people they are surpised, and i don't stumble or stutter at all

seriously you're just being ignorant, do some research I'm sure you've come across people with LDs and you didn't even notice.

Geez... from your repeated posts about a master's program, you make it sound like only stupid people go for a master's <snip>
I just think that you are being pretty harsh -- say what you want about my master's program but it is more demanding than taking art classes or something and there are a good amount of people in my program not only able to handle medical school, but also are applying themselves.

Are you the OP? Did I say anything about your master's program? I don't believe I did. I was responding to the OP who asks if he can overcome a gpa 3.0, science 2.8 by doing a master's degree.

Grading in graduate schools may vary but in some of them grades less than B are almost unheard of. Therefore,at those schools it is almost impossible to be expelled for failure to maintain a 3.0 average.

Good luck, defrunner. Don't be so paranoid that you think that a thread that you haven't participated in is reallly about insulting your grad school.

I would be careful not to buy into your LD label too much. People are unique and complex and labels are ******ed. I was given soo many labels as a kid I cant even count...well probably five I guess. As I grew up and gained life experience I came to the conclusion that 99% of labels are total BS. Soo I have rejected all of the curses placed upon me as a child and I have moved on. I am now a freakin genius with a 4.0 gpa. I have to put a lot of hard work into that gpa, but that is all it takes. Einstien was a slow learner who struggled with basic arithmetic and was labeled as having an LD. Good thing he didnt let that slow him down.

ya but einstein didnt have to think fast to save peoples dying lives either...

simple solution - don't be a trauma surgeon. the majority of specialties, to include emergency medicine, don't require very much thinking on your feet.

if you want to be safe, just don't be a surgeon. otherwise, the OP should be fine.

there are plenty of jobs that don't require fast processing - pathology, radiology, dermatology, practically any of the internal medicine subspecialties, family practice, or pediatrics. in fact, he/she would probably excel in a specialty like internal medicine where the docs love to sit around and think about things.

the point is that you don't have to be fast to be a physician.

Everyone stop using "******" and "******ed". It's hate speech. My special needs son (a "******" in your minds I'm sure) is so much cooler than you a-holes. Please stop sullying his name with your skanky behavior.:thumbdown: You will one day treat "******s" as a doctor. Show a little humanity.

Everyone stop using "******" and "******ed". It's hate speech. My special needs son (a "******" in your minds I'm sure) is so much cooler than you a-holes. Please stop sullying his name with your skanky behavior.:thumbdown: You will one day treat "******s" as a doctor. Show a little humanity.

i agree with you that in this setting the term is being used hatefully, and, as such, it should stop. unfortunately, the word '******ed' has gained a pejorative negative connotation in the U.S., even though it is a legitimate medical description.

i say this only because it will be used both frequently and correctly during medical school (e.g. mental ******ation, psychomotor ******ation), and i don't want you to take offense to it unnecessarily.

I would just like to thank everyone who has posted. This thread seemed to turn into a bashing one as I expected but the opinions are exactly what I was looking for. I knew I could get as close to the truth here then with friends and family. So, thank you everyone who had the time to post and wish all of you the best of luck.

Chelu55

:laugh:

I am sure there are other schools that would do this, but I know for sure that the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine would allow for a decelerated course load if that is an accommodation you believe you would need.

Also, as someone else has mentioned, you should look into the DO route.

special needs= deet da deet ******!

reply to bold: actually i wont....thats what refusal of service comes in handy...........or perhaps to appear normal..."LUNCH TIME"....go away ******, to another hospital....

First of all, let me take the time to apologize for the recent infestation of trolls on SDN, we're not all like them, and I hope they all burn and don't get into med school for how they've treated you. It's one thing to add humor or maybe a well placed picture of a half naked chick in a thread but people who outright attack someone who has tried their best to overcome an LD just need to be castrated and then forcefed their ground genitals while taking it up the arse.

That being said, I read somewhere that medical schools require this sort of information about health, sometime between application and matriculation. Regardless, I'd have to echo those sentiments already posted concerning post baccs or masters program because for those of us without LDs but similar GPAs had to do it.

As for the masters program having inflated grades, I do agree that there are some crazy hard programs out there, but generally speaking the majority do inflate grades, so you would have to pull off a 4.0 or 3.9 to really show you got over things. The great thing about masters programs is you can take full courseloads towards a new degree instead of taking maybe 1 or 2 courses at once in a postbacc.

My thesis advisor has an LD, but he's one of the most brilliant men I've ever met. Smart and witty, doesn't make himself out to be a victim of nature, presents himself with confidence. Do well in your post undergraduate studies and just be confident and you will do great no matter what you end up doing.

Are you the OP? Did I say anything about your master's program? I don't believe I did. I was responding to the OP who asks if he can overcome a gpa 3.0, science 2.8 by doing a master's degree.

Grading in graduate schools may vary but in some of them grades less than B are almost unheard of. Therefore,at those schools it is almost impossible to be expelled for failure to maintain a 3.0 average.

Good luck, defrunner. Don't be so paranoid that you think that a thread that you haven't participated in is reallly about insulting your grad school.

Lizzy, I apologize then -- I was merely responding to all of your posts in the past in this one post expressing a sense of frustration with your viewpoint (since I am in the same situation as the OP). This isn't being paranoid; I just saw an opportunity and took it. Once again, I apologize and won't say anything further on this topic in the future. Thanks for the well wishes and I in turn wish you good luck on evaluating the applicants.

To everyone else -- as a whole, I can see that this thread has really degenerated with the presence of trolls and so I won't do my part any further in continuing to bump it up; it will die soon enough. Miles, I'm with you but I remain confident that the vast majority of doctors are much more understanding than what has been depicted in this thread. Don't let this get to you too much and I have no doubt that your son is one of the coolest people around. I sincerely hope that he does not come across this type of discrimination in the future. It is just amazing at the lack of tolerance that still exists in this day and age, especially in the age of relative internet anonymity.

To the trolls -- hope you feel better about your daily existence as you are bashing others in the comfort and safety of not having to reveal who you truly are. Good job and way to be men. Enjoy living in that glass house full of mirrors. I'm deaf -- bash me!

I would just like to thank everyone who has posted. This thread seemed to turn into a bashing one as I expected but the opinions are exactly what I was looking for. I knew I could get as close to the truth here then with friends and family. So, thank you everyone who had the time to post and wish all of you the best of luck.

Chelu55

If you really want to be a doctor, go for it. Spend a couple years doing a post-bacc and work your way up to taking some really hard science classes. Use them to push yourself and your study habits. Give yourself time to work with your diagnosis and adapt. Now that you know what's been causing you problems all these years you have a shot at working around it. If you need to, pick a medical school that will allow you to do it in 5 years rather than 4. Or, do a master's program like Georgetown or BU where you take many of the 1st year medical school classes.

Don't EVER let anyone tell you that something is impossible. Med school is tough - there's a huge volume of material that you are expected to assimilate, but it's do-able. I say this as one of the few people posting on this thread who is actually in medical school (second year).

Good luck.