• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Learning Problem?

futurist

10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2004
    I'm not sure this is the right forum, but I am sure somebody can help me.

I am in Optometry School and I am putting together a presentation on where to send a child after an exam, when it is determined that the learning problem is not visually related.

Specifically I am looking for info on other professionals to advise the parents to send their children to. Any help, even websites would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

PsyDRxPnow

Clinical Psychology
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Oct 29, 2004
    We love oranges!
      futurist said:
      I'm not sure this is the right forum, but I am sure somebody can help me.

I am in Optometry School and I am putting together a presentation on where to send a child after an exam, when it is determined that the learning problem is not visually related.

Specifically I am looking for info on other professionals to advise the parents to send their children to. Any help, even websites would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mental health professionals such as School psychologist and clinical psychologist can conduct psycho educational testing and structured interviews that can help asses and treat learning disorders http://www.4therapy.com/consumer/about_therapy/item.php?uniqueid=4523&categoryid=27

Alternatively, you can contact your local psychological association for a qualified psychologist.

Good luck

PsyDRxPnow

Clinical Psychology
      10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Oct 29, 2004
      We love oranges!
        Paendrag said:
        A pediatric neuropsychologist is a good bet. Talk about board certification. The acronym is ABPP-Cn. You can find information on the pediatric requirements for this. My opinion is that they are the top of the diagnostic food chain, followed by a Ph.D. school psychologist, a child clinical psychologist, and on down.

Interesting that you choose Ph.D not a PsyD. Personally, I would have chosen a PsyD for clinical oriented work. However, I do understand that you have some issues with PsyD.

I do not want to get into a long-winded discussion about the credentials but the field of psychology is lacking unity because of this mentality. MD/DO have accepted each other and learned to work with each other in harmony but we still have some issues to work out.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.