Learning Problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is the right forum, but I am sure somebody can help me.

I am in Optometry School and I am putting together a presentation on where to send a child after an exam, when it is determined that the learning problem is not visually related.

Specifically I am looking for info on other professionals to advise the parents to send their children to. Any help, even websites would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

futurist said:
I'm not sure this is the right forum, but I am sure somebody can help me.

I am in Optometry School and I am putting together a presentation on where to send a child after an exam, when it is determined that the learning problem is not visually related.

Specifically I am looking for info on other professionals to advise the parents to send their children to. Any help, even websites would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mental health professionals such as School psychologist and clinical psychologist can conduct psycho educational testing and structured interviews that can help asses and treat learning disorders http://www.4therapy.com/consumer/about_therapy/item.php?uniqueid=4523&categoryid=27

Alternatively, you can contact your local psychological association for a qualified psychologist.

Good luck

Paendrag said:
A pediatric neuropsychologist is a good bet. Talk about board certification. The acronym is ABPP-Cn. You can find information on the pediatric requirements for this. My opinion is that they are the top of the diagnostic food chain, followed by a Ph.D. school psychologist, a child clinical psychologist, and on down.

Interesting that you choose Ph.D not a PsyD. Personally, I would have chosen a PsyD for clinical oriented work. However, I do understand that you have some issues with PsyD.

I do not want to get into a long-winded discussion about the credentials but the field of psychology is lacking unity because of this mentality. MD/DO have accepted each other and learned to work with each other in harmony but we still have some issues to work out.