Learning SPSS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phdpsyd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting a Psy.D program in a few weeks, and need to learn SPSS for my assistantship...I'm going through the University's Applied Research Lab, but am also looking to find a book to study on my own. Does anyone have any recommendations as of to the best way to learn SPSS? Or any specific books to check out?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my undergrad training, I learned some SPSS in stats and methods classes. Both classes did not go that in depth though.

As well, I was exposed to SPSS in an undergraduate research methods course. We didn't learn much about it other than how to run t-tests and obtain descriptives. I really learned my way around SPSS by taking individual courses in ANOVA and regression in graduate school. We used Maxwell & Delaney's book Designing Experiments and Analyzing Data to explain the "why" and used lab time and write-ups made by the professor for the "how". We didn't use an SPSS book, although sometimes I wish we had.

Thanks for the suggestion, and I think I will go with it. It looks like a great intro, and I always have the think dusty books in the library for further explanation.

Thanks!

speaking of SPSS, does anyone know if there is a large difference between version 15 and version 16?? I was told to order the version 15 "help book", but I think we may be using version 16. Do you know if the help book will be applicable (im assuming it will be), or should I get a version 16 one, if they have it?

speaking of SPSS, does anyone know if there is a large difference between version 15 and version 16?? I was told to order the version 15 "help book", but I think we may be using version 16. Do you know if the help book will be applicable (im assuming it will be), or should I get a version 16 one, if they have it?

I have a version 11 one and it works just fine ;)

i believe the main difference between v15 and v16 is that v16 is java-based. it may have a different look and feel to it so the older book may not coincide directly with the new version. menus shown in the book for v15 may be accessed differently under v16. if you are familiar with the SPSS interface you may be OK. if you're totally new, i'd stick with a v16 book.