LearnVest

Started by LisaLou
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LisaLou

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone used LearnVest or other online financial advisors? I am looking for some help with making some financial decisions fairly specific to my family's situation (e.g. rolling over a 401k into a Roth even though this will be the only year my income allows me to contribute to a Roth, which additional retirement plan offered by my hospital I should contribute to, saving for imminent mortgage downpayment versus paying off student loans, etc.). I'm in a somewhat rural area and the few financial advisors in this area seem to be commission-based. I'm hoping for someone who will look at my situation and numbers and basically tell me where to put my money for now. Not really looking for a long-term advisor or someone to manage investments. My ideal would be a LearnVest-type company who specializes in physicians, though I don't think that exists. Thanks!
 
Has anyone used LearnVest or other online financial advisors? I am looking for some help with making some financial decisions fairly specific to my family's situation (e.g. rolling over a 401k into a Roth even though this will be the only year my income allows me to contribute to a Roth, which additional retirement plan offered by my hospital I should contribute to, saving for imminent mortgage downpayment versus paying off student loans, etc.). I'm in a somewhat rural area and the few financial advisors in this area seem to be commission-based. I'm hoping for someone who will look at my situation and numbers and basically tell me where to put my money for now. Not really looking for a long-term advisor or someone to manage investments. My ideal would be a LearnVest-type company who specializes in physicians, though I don't think that exists. Thanks!

Sounds like you need to spend a few hours with a good hourly financial planner. They don't need to be local. Try the Garrett Network or perhaps Allan Roth. Other things to research based on your post include:

http://whitecoatinvestor.com/backdoor-roth-ira-tutorial/

http://whitecoatinvestor.com/student-loans-vs-investing/

http://whitecoatinvestor.com/personal-finance/the-doctor-mortgage-loan/
 
Has anyone used LearnVest or other online financial advisors? I am looking for some help with making some financial decisions fairly specific to my family's situation (e.g. rolling over a 401k into a Roth even though this will be the only year my income allows me to contribute to a Roth, which additional retirement plan offered by my hospital I should contribute to, saving for imminent mortgage downpayment versus paying off student loans, etc.). I'm in a somewhat rural area and the few financial advisors in this area seem to be commission-based. I'm hoping for someone who will look at my situation and numbers and basically tell me where to put my money for now. Not really looking for a long-term advisor or someone to manage investments. My ideal would be a LearnVest-type company who specializes in physicians, though I don't think that exists. Thanks!

Hi Lisa,

Jim (White Coat Investor) has a lot of great resources, so you might want to visit his blog (and definitely buy his new book, which I would highly recommend). My firm offers hourly/retainer-based comprehensive financial planning services using a subscription model (basically, a monthly flat fee for all inclusive and on demand advice). So for a single flat fee we would put together a financial plan that will address your entire financial situation, and we'll update/review it as often as necessary. It is rather simple to work remotely, thanks to Skype and dropbox (to share documents securely).

I specialize in working with small business owners, including physicians and dentists, and I can address financial situations of any complexity. Because physicians and dentists have many moving parts to their finances, they typically require a lot more attention than an average person, so in order to provide the best service to them, I offer advice on many topics including (but not limited to) investment management and asset allocation, debt repayment, after-tax investments, retirement accounts and plans, tax planning, estate planning, insurance planning. While LearnVest might be a good solution for simpler financial situations, it might not provide the type of advice necessary for a physician, as the quality is only as good as the person offering the advice. Because I don't sell any products or get paid by third parties, I always act as a fiduciary in the best interest of my clients.
 
Thank you for the tips. White Coat Investor, I had read a lot of your posts while lurking on this board and I had actually just bought your book just a day or two before this post. So all of the time you spend answering questions here got you my 20 cents of royalties ;-) Thank you for taking the time to be so helpful to so many of us!