May 23, 2009
Status
What are the least competitive Md/Phd programs? I have a feeling that gaining an MD/Phd acceptance can sometimes be easier than an MD acceptance...Obviously I'm not speaking of any MSTP programs...thoughts?

dmblue

10+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2008
Status
MD/PhD Student
doubt any md phd programs are easier to get into than the corresponding med school.

Jul 7, 2009
Status
MD/PhD Student
as far as i could tell the gpas and mcats were pretty similar, but md/phds also have to do research and show serious interest in it, not just scheming their way into the program and then dropping the phd.

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2002
the beach
Status
Attending Physician
In general analysis over the years without data to back it up.

For big name private research schools, the average MCAT and GPA for the MD/PhD program is not that much higher than that of the medical school.

For less highly ranked private schools, the average MCAT and GPA for the MD/PhD program can be much higher, assuming full-funding. It depends on a few factors I'll list below.

For state schools with fully-funded MD/PhD programs, the average GPA and MCAT can be much higher.

Though when the MD/PhD program is not fully funded, it can be as competitive as the medical school.

Factors influencing competitiveness:

1) Money. No funding = no greater competition.
2) US News Ranking. Given that they're based on MCAT scores, GPA, and "prestige" this is then a self-fulfilling prophecy/feedback loop. But, it is what it is.
3) Location. In broad terms 20somethings tend to prefer large, coastal cities. Midwestern schools are less competitive in general.

schrizto

10+ Year Member
May 14, 2008
puh puh pitt
Status
Pre-Medical
Maybe places no one wants to get their PhD in... like I know Creighton has an MD/PhD program but hardly anyone is in it.