Least Expensive Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefullone

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm looking for PT schools that meet 2 requirements, place significant value on GRE scores, and are inexpensive. I'm not a big fan of loans and debt so I'd like to go to school that provides the best value. Any schools that are inexpensive please list! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, I'm looking for PT schools that meet 2 requirements, place significant value on GRE scores, and are inexpensive. I'm not a big fan of loans and debt so I'd like to go to school that provides the best value. Any schools that are inexpensive please list! Thank you!

Where are you in state? That is probably your best value.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, basically you wont beat an in state school as far as tuition. Living expenses are something to also be consider. Basically the poorer of a state you go to, the better for education as far as tuition is. If you want to consider out of state, consider Marshall University in WV. WV is probably the cheapest state to live in too so.

I agree, basically you wont beat an in state school as far as tuition. Living expenses are something to also be consider. Basically the poorer of a state you go to, the better for education as far as tuition is. If you want to consider out of state, consider Marshall University in WV. WV is probably the cheapest state to live in too so.

Texas is also a very good state to go out of state to. They will sometimes give in state tuition waivers and the out of state tuition is about seventy five thousand which is reasonable compared to private schools. But, you need really good stats to get accepted in Texas, especially out of state. Nova is also a comparatively affordable private school, but COL is high in Fort Lauderdale. There is a lot to consider. You have great GREs, but some schools put more emphasis on GPAs and the other parts of the application. I strongly suggest you make sure you have strong LORs and also look for a very different angle to write your essay from and make sure it is well edited. Lastly, get your applications in early. Make sure you have all rolling admission schools done first. Have a variety of shadowing experiences, and I felt that having one in an unusual setting helps.
I am giving this advice, having applied to eleven schools, accepted to nine, and waitlisted at two. I am saying that not to brag but to honestly say that what things I thought helped. My GPAs were good, but my GREs were mediocre at best. Best of luck in finding the right fit for a program for you.

It would be a crime if I didn't tell you about Angelo State University. As long as they don't change things up in the future, every student receives in-state tuition (~$33k for all 3 years. Yes, you read that right) and everyone gets at least $1500 a year in "Carr" scholarships (even more if your undergrad GPA is high). COL in San Angelo is very reasonable. Not the most desirable area but a quiet and peaceful town, perfect for your studies.

Reactions: 1 users
ANY state school in Texas is right about 33-38K for all 3 years of tuition. Private schools go up a lot, and out of state tuition for the first year might beat you up a little bit.
Depending on in state tuition wherever you live, Tx schools may or may not be cheaper if you calculate 1 year out of state tuition + 2 years in state.

Good luck!

I don't mean this to be an argument but I think the above poster may be lacking info on Angelo. Yes, TX schools tend to run in the mid $30k's for tuition. But Angelo students are paying really only $20-29k for all three years since EVERY student receives a scholarship for pretty much... having a pulse. The scholarship amounts run from $4.5-13.5k total depending on the students' undergrad GPA.

AND, Angelo gives EVERY student in-state tuition from the first year. You don't have to be a TX resident for an entire year to be considered in-state.

So you may be correct in generalizing most TX schools but I just wanted to make it clear to future applicants on what deal they're getting at Angelo. That's a difference of $10-15k from the average TX school. All without the expense of their graduation and licensure pass rates. I genuinely would like to know if there's another program in the entire country with a better deal! (Dont mean that in a pretentious way. If there's a better deal, I think we should all know about it!)

Reactions: 1 user
I don't mean this to be an argument but I think the above poster may be lacking info on Angelo. Yes, TX schools tend to run in the mid $30k's for tuition. But Angelo students are paying really only $20-29k for all three years since EVERY student receives a scholarship for pretty much... having a pulse. The scholarship amounts run from $4.5-13.5k total depending on the students' undergrad GPA.

AND, Angelo gives EVERY student in-state tuition from the first year. You don't have to be a TX resident for an entire year to be considered in-state.

So you may be correct in generalizing most TX schools but I just wanted to make it clear to future applicants on what deal they're getting at Angelo. That's a difference of $10-15k from the average TX school. All without the expense of their graduation and licensure pass rates. I genuinely would like to know if there's another program in the entire country with a better deal! (Dont mean that in a pretentious way. If there's a better deal, I think we should all know about it!)

It is a great deal. The only better one I know of is Army -Baylor. The other thing is, I do not think you are able in Texas to change your residency after a year if you moved to Texas to attend grad school. A number of the schools will consider an instate waiver if you qualify for $1000 a year in scholarships. I would totally assume COL is very reasonable at Angelo State as well. Even if you do have to pay out of state at a Texas state school, they seem to run about $65,000-$75,000 for the three years. Not as good as the in state for sure, but cheaper than some other states in state costs. Texas is a great option for PT school, but the state programs are also highly competitive.

Angelo seems like a real possibility for me. They have a formula for applicants on their website and I stacked up pretty well against the average accepted student. I really like the Baylor Army program, but how competitive is it? Seems like too good of a deal

Baylor is pretty competitive, but its tough to find real numbers about how many apply.
You would apply through your regional medical recruiter. Its a pretty sweet deal - you enlist as an O1 as soon as you start school (salary is on the website, I think its like 45K or so?) and on top of that you have zero tuition, and you get COLA to pay for rent. Not sure what it is here, but there are a few baylor PT students who frequent my wife's job that live in Stone Oak... Not a cheap part of town. They require 4 or 5 years of service after graudation, I forget which.

I spoke to a PT the other day however that was at my daughter's birthday who went to UTEP and enlisted as an O1 after she finished PT school and got her full debt relieved, so if the army is your thing that may be another option.

I agree with the following posts, if you have good stats, apply to Texas schools!

Like @dptwannabee1 already said, out of state tuition in Texas is about $75K for all 3 years, which is in-state tuition in many other states. Most schools will give you in-state tuition from year 1 if you get at least one scholarship of $1,000.

Angelo State is honestly the best financial decision one can make. Everyone receives a scholarship based on undergrad gpa that is automatically renewed every semester, so everyone pays in-state tuition so you end up paying less than $30k for all 3 years. San Angelo is not a big city, in central Texas, and living there is not expensive. It's also a good school that is less competitive than some other Texas schools (I almost feel like Angelo state is like this hidden financial gem no one knows about lol), so I would definitely check them out.

Reactions: 2 users
Angelo seems like a real possibility for me. They have a formula for applicants on their website and I stacked up pretty well against the average accepted student. I really like the Baylor Army program, but how competitive is it? Seems like too good of a deal

The price you are paying is service to the military post-graduation. For some people it is not the best deal, just be aware of what you'd be getting into.

Reactions: 1 user
Baylor is super competitive, probably one of the most competitive schools to get into.