Leaving medicine to become a lawyer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeedToStudy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anybody who has done this? Left medicine and gone to law school to become a lawyer? I'm assuming most doctors who go to law school want to become plaintiff's lawyers but you guys can tell me if you know anyone who gone outside the health care field to practice law. Do you guys think that having an MD degree would give you an advantage in law school admissions, especially at the big ivy league schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I know several. Your assumption is flawed. Most doctors who go to law school become consultants. Others represent doctors. A few teach. Very very few go to law school to become plaintiff lawyers. that's not the high brow law, that's the law the guys at the other end of the graduating class practice.

Yes being a doctor might be helpful for law school admissions, or at least interesting. But (for the top schools) your grades and LSAT still have to be top notch. That being said, your medical degree won't help you earn more money and might actually make it harder to get certain jobs, as law is very formulaic and hierarchical and the big firms tend to want people who have come down the same road. Having advanced degrees, being older, tend to be wrinkles law firms like to avoid. Will you, the doctor, be somone the guy five years younger and a year or two out of law school, but ahead of you at the firm, feel comfortable dumping his scut work on and asking you to stay late? Probably not. You'd think they want dynamic individuals, but really they want young pedigreed cogs for the machine. So you'd probably end up at a small firm or solo practice. Which means no big pay day, no chance to use your prior expertise. I wouldn't strongly recommend this unless you really hate medicine. If you go the law route, you are probably not going to be able to use your medical training usefully.

The law market right now is horrible. Unspeakably horrible in comparison with the medical job market. Stay far away.

Reactions: 1 users
The law market right now is horrible. Unspeakably horrible in comparison with the medical job market. Stay far away.
Well I think it's horrible because people go to 3rd or 4th tier law schools (California for gods sake has correspondence law schools). Correct me if I'm wrong on this but I think going to a good law school should be able to get you a decent paying job.

Well I think it's horrible because people go to 3rd or 4th tier law schools (California for gods sake has correspondence law schools). Correct me if I'm wrong on this but I think going to a good law school should be able to get you a decent paying job.

It helps, but certainly not a guarantee. The top grads (eg law review) from regional schools and an even larger percentage of the top schools usually get jobs. The bottom grads of any schools struggle. I don't think you are being realistic if you think being a doctor entitles you to a spot at a top tier law school, though. It helps, but wont get you in. And once in, as mentioned, might hurt you in landing a big firm job on the other end, if that's your goal.

Unfortunately, the way the legal market is, I sincerely doubt that going to a top tier school will definitely lead to a decent job without decent grades and a substantial commitment to market yourself and network. As an attorney, I have been at legal aid clinics with students from Columbia law school who could not secure a clerkship or summer internship. The legal field is undergoing a structural change, with a great amount of more menial tasks being assigned to paralegals instead of lawyers (i.e. doc-review, which is essentially pre-chewing reams of computer generated discovery materials), with legal research being done by foreign companies (India as a common law country has rooms of English-Speaking attorneys who spend all day compiling legal research in open rooms on computers with no hard-drives), there being a glut of law schools, and an overall trend to hire attorneys as in-house counsel instead of engaging law firms (that's where I work).

If you want to simply work in law in some capacity, law school might get you there, but then again it might not. I for example work in a quasi-legal position where I was hired for a certification I have and to get more certifications, and gradually moved into a transactional legal role (essentially drafting/negotiating contracts).

All said though, big law jobs are out there and are attainable, and can lead to significant income and engagement in complex issues. But what I would ask myself is whether or not you see yourself as a salesperson, as most big law jobs will expect you to generate revenue, "rain-make," if you are to ever make partner. I would think any of the roles described by Law2Doc sound like good options and would add patent law to the mix as a good aspiration for someone with a medical/science background along with government work for relevant federal agencies such as the FDA, etc.

If you want to make a good comparison to the job market as well I suggest visiting the bureau of labor statistics and compare attorneys with physicians. Also, check out JDunderground and look for threads relating to your post, but be prepared for a great deal of negativity and whining as you explore that site...

Last edited: