Leaving Medicine with HPSP Commitment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Incognito2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have decided to leave medicine all together. The only reason I am still in residency is my HPSP commitment, otherwise I would have never started residency or finished med school for that matter. The worst mistake I ever made was applying to med school; the second was signing the HPSP contract. I never dreamed that I would hate medicine as much as I do. I am a PGY2 and have already switched specialties once thinking it would get better, but as expected it has not. I have done well in both programs with good recommendations; I just don't want to practice medicine. What options, if any, are available for me to fulfill my military requirement other than as a physician?

Members don't see this ad.

Incognito2 said:
I have decided to leave medicine all together. The only reason I am still in residency is my HPSP commitment, otherwise I would have never started residency or finished med school for that matter. The worst mistake I ever made was applying to med school; the second was signing the HPSP contract. I never dreamed that I would hate medicine as much as I do. I am a PGY2 and have already switched specialties once thinking it would get better, but as expected it has not. I have done well in both programs with good recommendations; I just don't want to practice medicine. What options, if any, are available for me to fulfill my military requirement other than as a physician?

Sorry to hear that, As far as I know there are no alternatives as far as the military is concerned. What service are you in? What residencies have you tried and switched out of? I dont know your interests but have you considered non patient care specialties?(radiology or path etc...)

You can quit residency and come into the military as a GMO. Your still a doctor but you would also be operational therfore would divide your time among medicine, operational stuff, and admin. There are some interesting/fun things out there for the GMO that are about as far away from medicine as you can get and still be a doctor. But being a GMO has its own nightmare issues to contend with as well.

Your in a tight spot. If you only have one additional year of residency to complete it may be in your better interest to complete it and do your time in the military as a BCP then get out and fix your career.

You could get your MBA while in the military as a GMO. Plenty of down time when your not deployed.

You could move into research or admin.

Members don't see this ad :)
they can't make you practice medicine. Let your license lapse, and you're good to go.......however, you ARE obligated to serve your time in the military....probably as a medical service corp type...doing something related to ;medicine.

Incognito2 said:

Hopefully you have an exit plan from medicine. In fact, that is something all of us practicing physicians should also have as we will not be doing this forever.

You need a plan as to how you are going to provide for yourself, what other career you will pursue and how and when you are going to do that. Once you have that all arranged, then you will be in a position to abandon medicine at just the right time, which hopefully will occur before you waste too much more time in residency.

There is no point in applying for staff privileges in any medical facility, obtaining board certification, maintaining licensure, etc.

When the time is right, you need to inform your residency program, the military, and your state medical licensing board, of your intentions in writing fulling explaining your reasons, etc.

Bottom line is no one can force you to be a physician against your will, you cannot be forced to maintain a medical license against your will, or to apply for medical staff privileges, sit for board exams, etc.

If you are certain about this, it is best not to waste any more time with what you are doing now. You need to get the process going to resign from residency, and do not under any circumstances allow the military to force you into becoming a GMO/Flight Surgeon. You must resist all such efforts.

One last piece of good advice: Find yourself a good attorney who has knowlege and experience at dealing with the military to assist you. You will need a lawyer to help you with this. Hopefully one that will have some healthcare knowledge and experience also.

Actually at this time I have no idea how to go about this, I just know I want to do it. My plan was to give my PD notice at the beginning of December and not start my January rotation. Give them a month to rearrange the schedule. Second I have a little money saved up, probably enough for 6 months. I'm sure the army will have something to say when they find out. I have not taken step 3 on purpose so I can't be forced into doing a GMO. Other than that I have no plan. As far as an attorney there is no money in the budget for that. I will have to deal with the consequences when it comes. As with everyone who graduated from medical school I've been commissioned a Captain. Even though I will not practice medicine they won't reduce my rank? What could I possibly be qualified to do?

Incognito2 said:
Actually at this time I have no idea how to go about this, I just know I want to do it. My plan was to give my PD notice at the beginning of December and not start my January rotation. Give them a month to rearrange the schedule. Second I have a little money saved up, probably enough for 6 months. I'm sure the army will have something to say when they find out. I have not taken step 3 on purpose so I can't be forced into doing a GMO. Other than that I have no plan. As far as an attorney there is no money in the budget for that. I will have to deal with the consequences when it comes. As with everyone who graduated from medical school I've been commissioned a Captain. Even though I will not practice medicine they won't reduce my rank? What could I possibly be qualified to do?
They can't take money from you nor reduce you in rank. You will become an admin poge or if you want go into research. Regardless of which direction you take you will remain in the military. There will probably be the need to change which corps you work under. Unless the language has been changed you could still qualify for medical bonuses. :smuggrin:

Croooz said:
Unless the language has been changed you could still qualify for medical bonuses. :smuggrin:
You must have a valid, unrestricted state license and be a practicing physician in order to receive bonuses for your medical degree. I'm sure the Army is similar to the AF in this regard.

Incognito2 said:

You could become an MTF administrator, then you can spend your day sitting back in your lazy chair with your feet on the desk shifting papers from one end of your desk to the other, with your former med school/HPSP classmates as your slaves. :smuggrin:

I don't know if the previous post is supposed to be a joke or not. What is an MTF administrator? I don't want any additional pay if I'm not going to practice medicine in the Army, and I'm not trying to get out of my contract. I have put a lot of anguish into this decision, and a lot of time and money into training. I have thought to stick it out, finish residency (the hard part is over), do my four years, and then move into pharm or business; but I would be doing a disservice to myself and my patients.

she ended up being a navy MSC specializing in radiation health and eventually became a board certified medical physicist. Ironically, she hated the thought of being a navy doc, but is a career MSC that supports us.

Incognito2 said:
I don't know if the previous post is supposed to be a joke or not. What is an MTF administrator? I don't want any additional pay if I'm not going to practice medicine in the Army, and I'm not trying to get out of my contract. I have put a lot of anguish into this decision, and a lot of time and money into training. I have thought to stick it out, finish residency (the hard part is over), do my four years, and then move into pharm or business; but I would be doing a disservice to myself and my patients.

The clinic commander who, in many cases, is not a clinician.

Many physicians do go into administration however, in fact, I think the Army has an MBA program in Healthcare Administration at BAMC. In today's world medicine is business, and an MD/MBA is a winning combination anywhere.