Leaving my university for a state college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gurame1121

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

With registration coming up, I had a few questions about how I should handle the next couple terms of school. This was the first term of my informal post bacc and I'm happy to say that I will likely make it out with all A's in physics I, chem 1 (retake), the associated labs, and at the very least a B+ in genetics. That said, affording tuition for this term required me to work a little more than I was comfortable working while studying. I'm pretty sure that the B+ in genetics, for example, could've been an A with just one less work day.

I'm strongly considering leaving my university to take classes at the state college near my house, which would allow me to work a little bit less as well as reduce my time spent commuting to mere minutes. My question is if these are valid reasons to leave the university after a single term or if it will seem like I was running from something. Do upper division classes like microbio and biochem hold less weight if taken at a college?

Also, I'm getting the sense that whatever issues I had in undergrad have seemed to resolve. I'm doing better than I've ever done in school, and the only thing that's seemed to change is my mindset and maturity. There are two classes that I wanted to retake for AACOMAS grade replacement, but I'm wondering now if I should just finish out my remaining pre-reqs, see where my GPA lies, and then assess whether I should retake those classes. Doing this could potentially save time and money, but would leave some blemishes on my application. If I, hypothetically, skip a retake of chem 2 and make it through the orgo sequence with A's, will admissions committees be as alarmed by the C I got in chem 2 back in high school dual enrollment?

I know it's not good to rush, but I'm really itching to get my pre-reqs finished!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I did my whole informal post-bac / pre-med requirments at a state 4 year college and was accepted to an MD. This was not brought up at my interview as well.

I don't foresee a problem with changing universities as long as the university is accredited. It may be more challenging to find strong letters of rec if you switch between several universities but it should be fine.

As for the retake and whether or not it is worth it. I would say it entirely depends on where your sGPA and cGPA are. If you are within the range of being competitive for MD and DO, it may not be worth it. If you are outside the range to be competitive for MD but are competitive for DO, maybe consider not doing it. If you are outside the range for MD and DO, definitely retake it.