leaving phd for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

swederoxette said:
Hi Everyone,

I am applying for the 2006 residency match. The problem is that I am already into the PhD program (first year) at US. Would this question crop up in the interview that why I am leaving PhD? Please let me know? Any suggestions how to tackle this.

MD/PhD students at my program have quit 1-2 years into graduate school to return to medical school and go onto competitive residencies. My wife quit the MD/PhD program and she was not asked about quitting when applying for residency programs.

It sounds like you already have a MD and are currently in graduate school (which is a different situation from quitting a MD/PhD program).