Leaving/Quitting PhD Program after you get your Master's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychgrl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am curious and open to advice about how to navigate this channel:

I entered a clinical psychology PhD program last year with the full intention of finishing the 5 years. However, my research interests have changed over time and I find myself much more interested in cognitive psychology (pure cognitive research/ cognitive work with mental disorders etc) and I have decided that the cognitive psych PhD is what I really need to fulfill my career goals (academic position). I am absolutely sure that I will leave the program (apply out this fall to cognitive phd programs) but I am wondering what the etiquette is for this? I have put a lot of work into this master's degree and would like to leave with it in hand this April. When should I tell my advisor/DCT? Is it better to be honest and let them know in the fall when I am applying or will that result in losing funding the last few months? I do not want to be sneaky about this but I do want my masters after having done the majority of work and if that means telling them in April then I would have to do that? I hope insuring them that their program is great it is just a pure matter of topic and focus will make it less upsetting for them.

Any advice on to how to professionally deal with this would be great. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you under a contract with that program to complete the PhD? I'm not sure how this works with fully funded programs but people tend to get weird when money is involved.

I know someone else who did this. I think the best policy is just to be honest up front. Let them know what your plans are, and try to garner the DCT's (and your advisor's) support. Plus, I'm assuming you'll need a letter frm your advisor and possibly from the DCT, so if they know it's coming and understand your position that will probably be your best bet.