LECOM 3rd/4th Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tele turnin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all I am looking for input about the 3rd/4th yr rotations at LECOM. I recently interviewed there and don't recall much being said about those years. I was wondering if the school sets those up for you, or what there is we have to do on our own outside of the electives. Also, what kind of guidance does LECOM give during those years. I know of others schools that have rotations across several states in certain regions and they have somebody there that isn't full time, but does get paid to keep track of the students and bring them together a few time a week to give some didactic lecturing and have them present cases. I was just wondering what things were like for LECOM those years as I am trying to make the decision to go there or not.

Any input from those doing rotations with LECOM, or from anybody that knows anything because I know nothing, would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest you call LECOM and ask to speak to someone in Clinical Ed. I have found that LECOM is pretty helpful overall.

i plan on doing that tomorrow, but i'm really looking for some input from current/former lecom students that are in/were there to give me firsthand input.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are some required rotations and the rest you set up on your own. LECOM does a lottery system you request a certain rotation schedule or a certain region. Then there are rotations that must be filled at affiliated hospitals in your assigned region so you have to fill at least one of those if not more depending on your rotation group. After that your core rotations have to be done with an affiliate and your electives/selectives you set up on your own. They do still have to be with a board certified DO and you only have about three a year. So basically if you have specific rotations you want or rotations outside of this area (ie philly, cleveland, upstate NY, Erie, Michigan, etc) then you may want to look elsewhere. LECOM does not have alot of affiliates and only has a few regions in this part of the nation to choose from. I am from CT and could not set up anything in that area so that I could move back. I can only do one or two rotations there for my electives after I set them up. Oh and they are difficult to deal with when setting up rotations. Speaking as a student and what I have been told by the doctors who tried to affiliate for me. Just a heads up. Oh and don't bother contacting clinical ed, they will tell you to read the handbook. Hope that helps. :oops:)

If you are talking about Bradenton, I asked the same question to the current students and they explained tat you can basically go anywhere for rotations but it is your job to set it up. The school won't do it for you. As for rotations in Florida...I'm not sure.

For 3rd year rotations:
All of your core rotations (OBGYN, General Surgery, Pediatrics, Internal Medicine, and Psychiatry) except Family Medicine are set up by the clinical ed department after you give them your site preference. They're all done with affiliates, mostly in the NE region (mainly NY, OH, PA, IN) if you're from the Erie campus. You are allowed two electives in 3rd year. You can do your electives anywhere you'd like and it DOES NOT have to be with a DO. The only DO requirement is your FP rotation. FP you have to schedule on your own.

For 4th year rotations:
Ambulatory Medicine and ER are the only two core rotations during 4th year. Clinical Ed will set these up for you once you've chosen from a list of affiliates you'd like to rotate with (same as 3rd year). Most other rotations are either selective (you have to set these up yourself and they must be with affiliates) and 4 electives (you have to set these up BUT they do NOT have to be with affiliates)

We have to take six NBME shelves during 3rd year. They're usually 8 weeks apart. You are required to come back to LECOM for those. If you fail a shelf twice, they pull you off of rotation for 4 weeks, do a mini review, make you sign in to study 60 hrs a week or something like that (I never had to so that's what others have told me - had to put that in :laugh:) You are also required to come back to prepare for the PE exam workshop. Other than that there's not much guidance. Honestly, you don't need much guidance other than that. Any lecture and presentation requirements are dependent on the clinicians you rotate with.

Hope that helps. :luck:

For 3rd year rotations:
All of your core rotations (OBGYN, General Surgery, Pediatrics, Internal Medicine, and Psychiatry) except Family Medicine are set up by the clinical ed department after you give them your site preference. They're all done with affiliates, mostly in the NE region (mainly NY, OH, PA, IN) if you're from the Erie campus. You are allowed two electives in 3rd year. You can do your electives anywhere you'd like and it DOES NOT have to be with a DO. The only DO requirement is your FP rotation. FP you have to schedule on your own.

For 4th year rotations:
Ambulatory Medicine and ER are the only two core rotations during 4th year. Clinical Ed will set these up for you once you've chosen from a list of affiliates you'd like to rotate with (same as 3rd year). Most other rotations are either selective (you have to set these up yourself and they must be with affiliates) and 4 electives (you have to set these up BUT they do NOT have to be with affiliates)

We have to take six NBME shelves during 3rd year. They're usually 8 weeks apart. You are required to come back to LECOM for those. If you fail a shelf twice, they pull you off of rotation for 4 weeks, do a mini review, make you sign in to study 60 hrs a week or something like that (I never had to so that's what others have told me - had to put that in :laugh:) You are also required to come back to prepare for the PE exam workshop. Other than that there's not much guidance. Honestly, you don't need much guidance other than that. Any lecture and presentation requirements are dependent on the clinicians you rotate with.

Hope that helps. :luck:

what does it mean when you say "set them up on your own"? do you have to find/contact/schedule/arrange for your rotations without any help from the school? wouldn't this be very stressful vs. having them already set up for you?

what does it mean when you say "set them up on your own"? do you have to find/contact/schedule/arrange for your rotations without any help from the school? wouldn't this be very stressful vs. having them already set up for you?

Yes, you have to find the rotations, contact the hospital, and then set up the rotation with both the location and LECOM yourself.

Yes, you have to find the rotations, contact the hospital, and then set up the rotation with both the location and LECOM yourself.

Is it as simple as signing up for available postitions for the affiliated rotations? or is there an application process? Also how does one go about signing up for electives not at affiliates? How do you research which rotations are good, is there a main website? or is it word-o-mouf