LECOM-E vs WVSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohiowbdoc

Med School Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else making/had to make this decision? I've been accepted to both schools and I have a couple weeks to decide. I have my own ideas, pros/cons etc, but feedback from current applicants and/or students from these schools would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't apply to WVSOM but here's what I would choose. Not being a WV resident I would be hesitant to pay so much more for OOS and Erie is one of the cheaper DO schools. WV may be a little too rural for some and there you have to stay in-state for at least 3rd year rotations where at Erie I believe you can leave for rotations.

I didn't apply to WVSOM because of the out-of-state tuition, but I've heard the school is pretty freaking sweet. LECOM is supposed to be nice too though, and very modern. They're building a new facility soon too, and I have inside information that an interview slot on 12/6 is about to open up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied and was accepted at both. For me, if I was choosing between those two schools, I would have picked WVSOM. But that's me personally. A couple of reasons are the rural area, I liked the facilities there a lot better than at Erie, and just had a good feeling when I visited the school. Both are fine schools so I don't think you can go wrong. Just ask yourself what is important to you.

Maybe you're considering the debt you'll take on- in which case you might want Erie. Perhaps you'll be happier taking classes in a more laid back atmosphere- I had more of a sense of that at WVSOM. Etc, etc.

Again, these are just my opinions. Ask yourself what is important to you, and don't deny any gut feelings you've had when visiting the schools.

I don't think I'm going to allow money to be as big of an issue, the fact is the money will be there eventually when it comes to paying it off. I think the biggest issues for me are how well they will prepare me for boards and patient care in general.

I was really impressed with WVSOM's robotics lab, especially the new one that they're building which will have 10 additional robots (or whatever you want to call them). Their anatomy lab is very impressive as well. And as everyone else says, the down-home country, Southern-hospitality feel makes it very inviting.

LECOM is less of a "campus" and more just a building, but I was extremely impressed with their professionalism, straight-forward conversation, and how easy it was to talk with the program directors. All I had to do was have someone call up, and the PBL program director came down and had a 45min convo with me after the entire day was already over. Plus that new facility opening in Dec looks very impressive.

Basically, WVSOM seems like the more "prestigious" school, while LECOM may be a better fit for me. Hard issues to wrestle with...

I appreciate everyone's feedback. Although obviously the decision will ultimately be mine, every little bit helps me get my thoughts in order.

Basically, WVSOM seems like the more "prestigious" school, while LECOM may be a better fit for me. Hard issues to wrestle with...

You just made your decision. See how easy that was?

haha yeah i get it, I'm leaning that way, but WVSOM is a tough one to pass up. I'm probably overthinking the whole thing...

I agree with STE, you should go to the school that just feels more right for you. I wouldn't worry about prestige honestly. It's your board scores and your performance that will help you to get the residency you want. If you felt the two were more equal then I would go by the things I listed earlier. It sounds though like you are leaning more in one direction.

I have three to decide among Touro NY, Lake erie and azcom. I have elminated ny due to its newness and am leaning towards lake erie because of azcom recent expansion which concerns me regarding rotations. Az weather would sure be nice though .......Anyone else, ideas??

I have three to decide among Touro NY, Lake erie and azcom. I have elminated ny due to its newness and am leaning towards lake erie because of azcom recent expansion which concerns me regarding rotations. Az weather would sure be nice though .......Anyone else, ideas??

Did you get a better feeling from one school than another? I know a lot of premeds base decisions on thinking through things but sometimes it's important to follow your instincts.

WVSOM is a great school BUT the 3rd and 4th year rotations business kind of made me go iffy... Tuition wise LECOM is the best school out there.

I've been to LECOM-Erie and good facilities and lots of expansion. Reasonable tuition as well. I do like LECOM as an institution but the uptight atmosphere and the town of Erie made me pass up an acceptance. Otherwise the school was very appealing. I did not apply to WVCOM because I did not want to get robbed blind as an OOS'er and you should not either unless it is your only option. I also hear it is in the middle of nowhere... not cool!

I did not apply to WVCOM because I did not want to get robbed blind as an OOS'er and you should not either unless it is your only option. I also hear it is in the middle of nowhere... not cool!

65-70% of the students are OOS so I don't think tuition is a big factor for many people. Its good the school is in middle of nowhere, less distractions for you. Although Lewisburg does have a alot of interesting places around it, for ex Greenbriar Hotel. It is huge, and also it used to be a bunker for senators and house of reps. I really liked WVSOM but was not too fond of the way their 3rd/4th year clinicals were setup.