LECOM-FL vs MWU-AZ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMD/DDS_2019-2020

Reaction score
SDN community,

I was recently accepted to both LECOM in Bradenton FL and also MWU-AZ and I am having an extremely difficult time deciding which to attend. I know everyone says the cost is all that matters, but I am hoping we could discuss costs in addition to the other pros and cons. I am really hoping some d3s/d4s from LECOM can post about their experience/procedures of 3rd/4th year clinic. Also this is not a thread to bash one another as I know both are great schools.

1) I have heard LECOM-FL students get a lot of clinic hours (3rd and 4th year are basically fully dedicated to clinic) but what about the quality of the time in the clinic? More basic or more advanced? Do students feel ready to practice out of school, or do most prefer to do a residency afterwards to gain more experience?

2) MWU will be about 100K more expensive. I realize this is a HUGE number but is there no circumstance where someone should attend MWU due to cost? They do many advanced procedure, CAD/CAM training and utilization, Invisalign training, laser certification, etc. If MWU prepares a student to be "confident enough" to practice after graduation and/or do more advanced procedures without needing a GPR/AEGD then isn't there a cost savings associated to that? I know it still wouldn't be 100K difference (residency salary vs associate salary) but it would bring it much closer. I guess I am just wondering if MWU will be more expensive but get me to a certain point quicker vs LECOM which is cheaper but may get me to that same point a little slower - equalizing the cost difference more?

3) Similar to #2, I know anything can be learned after graduation (with a cost) but I would imagine that learning some of these things in an academic environment would be preferable (preceptors/experts you know that can really guide you/bail you out) compared to on your own/through CEs? Any truth to this?

Thank you. This is a huge decision and I really appreciate any input.

Members don't see this ad.

I got accepted to both as well and went with LECOM. I really liked MWU, but I ultimately realized I will probably never use a lot of the advanced tech they have as it would cost a fortune to purchase and license for a private practice. If the prices for that equipment do come down to a reasonable price in the next 20 years, then you can just do a CE for it for a lot cheaper.

For clinic, every school now is going to be super limited. For D1s at LECOM we only get 2 hours twice a week in sim lab. Who knows what the future will bring.

I got accepted to both as well and went with LECOM. I really liked MWU, but I ultimately realized I will probably never use a lot of the advanced tech they have as it would cost a fortune to purchase and license for a private practice. If the prices for that equipment do come down to a reasonable price in the next 20 years, then you can just do a CE for it for a lot cheaper.

For clinic, every school now is going to be super limited. For D1s at LECOM we only get 2 hours twice a week in sim lab. Who knows what the future will bring.

That’s a good point. This is kind of the flip side, but I wonder if a school like LECOM would prepare students to be better fit to work in a dental environment with less tech? (Starting a small practice, community dental clinic, etc)

The tech is one thing, but also the main thing I was wondering is if the complexity of the patients/cases/procedures that you see at MWU-AZ are far better vs LECOM-FL and would negate the need for a GPR or could prepare you to produce much higher/more confidence to do advanced cases upon graduation?

Anyone practicing or D3/D4s that came chime in on these two pints?

Members don't see this ad :)
That’s a good point. This is kind of the flip side, but I wonder if a school like LECOM would prepare students to be better fit to work in a dental environment with less tech? (Starting a small practice, community dental clinic, etc)

The tech is one thing, but also the main thing I was wondering is if the complexity of the patients/cases/procedures that you see at MWU-AZ are far better vs LECOM-FL and would negate the need for a GPR or could prepare you to produce much higher/more confidence to do advanced cases upon graduation?

Anyone practicing or D3/D4s that came chime in on these two pints?

D4. You’ll be kicking yourself later if you spend $100k more for dental school based on what you perceive is “better” about one school. Every school only shows you the best parts of their school in an effort to get you to come, remember it’s a sales pitch. Often you won’t even be able to regularly use the things they show you haha. The only thing that will make you ready or not to go straight into associateship versus a gpr is your commitment to learning what you need to know during dental school, doesn’t matter where. You get basically the same training and knowledge no matter where you go, gadgets or not. All that being said, I didn’t know there was that big of price difference between these schools, so you should compare the “cost of attendance” between these two schools (not price of tuition) in the ADEA guide/explorer, and ensure that your calculations are correct.

In speaking with our pre-clinical Dean last year, his team actually ran up the numbers of how much you are saving by learning all the advanced procedures in school vs. on your own in practice. To get caught up to the proficiency of how much practice we get in clinic, most dental students would need to continue in a 1yr AEGD residency, so there's loss of income. Then, for any procedures such as learning CAD/CAM, placing implants, laser technology, Invisalign, etc. you will be paying for those CE credits, taking time off from practice (loss of income), on top of all the lost income prior to taking the CE without the ability to offer these tx, and then possibly some travel expenses for the CE courses. To reach the equivalent in training that you would receive while in school at MWU-AZ, they calculated the total cost to $250K. So I agree with the OP's argument for having all this training by graduation day.

Also, don't forget the fact that at LECOM, you will be moving to a new location in FL or PA to finish your clinic years in school. MWU-AZ's clinic is in the same location on campus, so you stay put all 4 years with less financial burden and logistical planning.

Reactions: 2 users
In speaking with our pre-clinical Dean last year, his team actually ran up the numbers of how much you are saving by learning all the advanced procedures in school vs. on your own in practice. To get caught up to the proficiency of how much practice we get in clinic, most dental students would need to continue in a 1yr AEGD residency, so there's loss of income. Then, for any procedures such as learning CAD/CAM, placing implants, laser technology, Invisalign, etc. you will be paying for those CE credits, taking time off from practice (loss of income), on top of all the lost income prior to taking the CE without the ability to offer these tx, and then possibly some travel expenses for the CE courses. To reach the equivalent in training that you would receive while in school at MWU-AZ, they calculated the total cost to $250K. So I agree with the OP's argument for having all this training by graduation day.

Also, don't forget the fact that at LECOM, you will be moving to a new location in FL or PA to finish your clinic years in school. MWU-AZ's clinic is in the same location on campus, so you stay put all 4 years with less financial burden and logistical planning.

Less financial burden coming out with $550k in debt?

Less financial burden coming out with $550k in debt?
You took my words out of context. I was talking about the logistics of moving D3 year across the state or country to finish the last two years in clinic there. And I can't imagine loans giving you enough money to afford such a massive move either. You're probably going to have to save this yourself.

You took my words out of context. I was talking about the logistics of moving D3 year across the state or country to finish the last two years in clinic there. And I can't imagine loans giving you enough money to afford such a massive move either. You're probably going to have to save this yourself.
You move D4. It's just a year. They do give you extra loans for the move, but I agree it is not enough probably. Most just sell everything and buy new stuff after the move.