LECOM FL vs. Touro NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

APCPhT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to both Touro - NY, and LECOM - Bradenton... Now which to choose.

I live in NY, but not close enough to commute to Touro, although maybe during rotations I could potentially live home and do the commute to save money. Touro is a 2 + 2 program, 2 years class, 2 years clinical. It has candidate status, but not Full Accred. yet. Apartments in NY area are expensive.

Touro is $32,000 a year + living.

No dress code/food/internet policies.

I believe I want to practice in the NY area though.

LECOM, is already full accred. status. But its 3 years class 1 year clinical. I already have a biology degree, took anat/phys and biochem. At LECOM I'd be taking them over again in the first year (Not that it's a bad thing).

$23,000 a year + living (cheaper & nicer than NY).

Shirt/Tie, Internet Filter, No food - 9am to 5pm.

Anyone, any experience...

I feel like whats the chance that Touro wouldn't get fully accr. They have a class that will graduate next year.

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted to both Touro - NY, and LECOM - Bradenton... Now which to choose.

I live in NY, but not close enough to commute to Touro, although maybe during rotations I could potentially live home and do the commute to save money. Touro is a 2 + 2 program, 2 years class, 2 years clinical. It has candidate status, but not Full Accred. yet. Apartments in NY area are expensive.

LECOM, is already full accred. status. But its 3 years class 1 year clinical. I already have a biology degree, took anat/phys and biochem. At LECOM I'd be taking them over again in the first year (Not that it's a bad thing).

I feel like whats the chance that Touro wouldn't get fully accr. They have a class that will graduate next year.

I had to make a similar decision last year.
You should always, always, always, choose a fully accredited school over a non-accredited school.

Also, in my biased opinion, LECOM-B is really up there in terms of faculty, rotations, students, tuition, living.

I know you've read posts on here about both schools. I think you should be able to make this decision pretty objectively.

Members don't see this ad :)

One perk of Touro. Since it is a Jewish sponsored school, you get a ridiculous amount of Jewish holidays.

I interviewed at Touro NY 11/2 and LECOM-Bradenton 11/4. I liked both schools and other things that came with each respective city. I'm from LA and loved LOVED New York. It's a city unlike any other, but since you are from there that appeal of living in a new city for a couple of years is not an issue.

I don't think Touro's accreditation is an issue, it has Candidate status and it's NOT a new program that is trying to make a name for itself. Touro is a well known university/college system with accredited professional schools in Vallejo and Las Vegas. They modeled their program after the success of Vallejo's campus. So I do NOT think you have too much to worry about its accreditation. I spoke with the Dean after the interview and their last accreditation meeting went really well and they are expected to have full accreditation come March.

LECOM was a very nice campus is a nice and mellow area of Sarasota/Bradenton. It's a place of old people and slower drivers. Cheap rent and cheap living, also cheap tuition. The campus is VERY nice and very modern. I did not mind their dress code, i think it is very admirable what they are trying to do in preparing professional students, because at most places, pharmacies ask staff to dress in a shirt and tie anyway (i know mine does). The only things that I did not like about LECOM was that it doesn't even allow bottled water inside the classroom eventhough they have lecture from 8-12. But the attendance was the part that upset me. Personally I like going to class, I find myself performing better when I go to lectures, but I also know that unforeseen things come up where you cannot make it to class, and if you miss 2 lectures you need a DOCTOR'S NOTE. This with the combination of all of their RULES made me feel like I was going back in time to my private high school. Next thing you know they would have ran after me to shave my goatee.

Personally I had my preferences as such:

1) UOP
2) Touro CA
3) Touro NY
4)LECOM

Wow, that was alot, LOL.
GOODLUCK!!

LECOM was a very nice campus is a nice and mellow area of Sarasota/Bradenton. It's a place of old people and slower drivers. Cheap rent and cheap living, also cheap tuition. The campus is VERY nice and very modern. I did not mind their dress code, i think it is very admirable what they are trying to do in preparing professional students, because at most places, pharmacies ask staff to dress in a shirt and tie anyway (i know mine does).

Last time I looked LECOM had the most expensive tuition of any COP in FL.

Last time I looked LECOM had the most expensive tuition of any COP in FL.

Yes well I'm coming from out of state NY. I'm a good student, by I don't expect to get into any cheap state schools. And when I compare $23k at LECOM to $32k of Touro NY...

Yes I may have other interviews, i'm not sure... but LECOM is the cheapest I applied to... Anything else I'd might as well pick Touro, because than the financial factor would be out.

Thank you guys for all the advice.

I know as a 1/2 Jew, I kind of wanted to embrace my Jewish Holidays at Touro... But we'll see.

I feel the same about the accred status, Touro isn't knew to Medicine/Pharmacy... I'm sure they have there act together. They are a world wide institution with other pharmacy programs.

I don't mind the professional dress code, as much as the no food/drink... I'm a fatty in a skinny body. Thank god for my metabolism. :)

We'll see, I'll make a decision soon enough.

I know I keep thinking FL... Old people... Slow... People go to die here.

NY, I just feel like I know I'm from here. But I don't expect to really get into living a "city" lifestyle, unless it involves school...

But same for FL, I don't think i'd really think about moving there, if it wasn't for school. So maybe it would be nice to have a taste of the FL life.

Does anyone know about the boards in FL? I heard once u take them in FL, you just have to take the Law in NY, You can transfer your license, just have to take Law?

Anyone confirm that?

I interviewed at Touro NY 11/2 and LECOM-Bradenton 11/4. I liked both schools and other things that came with each respective city. I'm from LA and loved LOVED New York. It's a city unlike any other, but since you are from there that appeal of living in a new city for a couple of years is not an issue.

I don't think Touro's accreditation is an issue, it has Candidate status and it's NOT a new program that is trying to make a name for itself. Touro is a well known university/college system with accredited professional schools in Vallejo and Las Vegas. They modeled their program after the success of Vallejo's campus. So I do NOT think you have too much to worry about its accreditation. I spoke with the Dean after the interview and their last accreditation meeting went really well and they are expected to have full accreditation come March.

LECOM was a very nice campus is a nice and mellow area of Sarasota/Bradenton. It's a place of old people and slower drivers. Cheap rent and cheap living, also cheap tuition. The campus is VERY nice and very modern. I did not mind their dress code, i think it is very admirable what they are trying to do in preparing professional students, because at most places, pharmacies ask staff to dress in a shirt and tie anyway (i know mine does). The only things that I did not like about LECOM was that it doesn't even allow bottled water inside the classroom eventhough they have lecture from 8-12. But the attendance was the part that upset me. Personally I like going to class, I find myself performing better when I go to lectures, but I also know that unforeseen things come up where you cannot make it to class, and if you miss 2 lectures you need a DOCTOR'S NOTE. This with the combination of all of their RULES made me feel like I was going back in time to my private high school. Next thing you know they would have ran after me to shave my goatee.

Personally I had my preferences as such:

1) UOP
2) Touro CA
3) Touro NY
4)LECOM

Wow, that was alot, LOL.
GOODLUCK!!

They require us to dress up for the simulation labs, special events, and rotations, but asking people to dress up for lecture is stupid. Only rule regarding dress code for lectures is: clean, non-offensive, not-slutty.

Yes well I'm coming from out of state NY. I'm a good student, by I don't expect to get into any cheap state schools. And when I compare $23k at LECOM to $32k of Touro NY...

Yes I may have other interviews, i'm not sure... but LECOM is the cheapest I applied to... Anything else I'd might as well pick Touro, because than the financial factor would be out.

Thank you guys for all the advice.

I know as a 1/2 Jew, I kind of wanted to embrace my Jewish Holidays at Touro... But we'll see.

I feel the same about the accred status, Touro isn't knew to Medicine/Pharmacy... I'm sure they have there act together. They are a world wide institution with other pharmacy programs.

I don't mind the professional dress code, as much as the no food/drink... I'm a fatty in a skinny body. Thank god for my metabolism. :)

We'll see, I'll make a decision soon enough.

I know I keep thinking FL... Old people... Slow... People go to die here.

NY, I just feel like I know I'm from here. But I don't expect to really get into living a "city" lifestyle, unless it involves school...

But same for FL, I don't think i'd really think about moving there, if it wasn't for school. So maybe it would be nice to have a taste of the FL life.

Does anyone know about the boards in FL? I heard once u take them in FL, you just have to take the Law in NY, You can transfer your license, just have to take Law?

Anyone confirm that?

It was a freezing 75 degrees today. BRRRR.

It's nice and crispy here. 45 degrees with a wind chill factor of 35. I'm a 4 season person, I would go insane if it was warm all year round. I like wearing the long heavy coats sometimes.

It's not warm all year long though. We still have four(ish) seasons.

We have warm, hot, hotter, hell-on-earth.

It's not warm all year long though. We still have four(ish) seasons.

We have warm, hot, hotter, hell-on-earth.

I can't live without the Arctic cold.

In Florida, I would have no justification for walking down the street like this:

ghost-photo.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
OP. Please think hard about whether or not you want to end up being classmates with someone dressed like this.

I like the James Dean poster in the background....but I guess I'm kind of partial to that name :D

i have the same dilemma as you, but i'm really going to look at $$ as the deciding factor. NY would be cool to live in, but it's so expensive. The school alone is 10K more expensive right off the bat. Florida is cheap as hell. The dress code is really lame at LECOM, but whatever, it'll take an extra 2 minutes to get ready in the morning.

In the long run, I rather save $60-70K+ plus interest.

i have the same dilemma as you, but i'm really going to look at $$ as the deciding factor. NY would be cool to live in, but it's so expensive. The school alone is 10K more expensive right off the bat. Florida is cheap as hell. The dress code is really lame at LECOM, but whatever, it'll take an extra 2 minutes to get ready in the morning.

In the long run, I rather save $60-70K+ plus interest.

Yup, this is the same boat I'm in! I have some under grad debt too. I loved Touro, but now I'm like 90% thinking FL. We'll see in another day or so.

NY to FL will be a quite a change; hope you're ready for the heat down here!

NY to FL will be a quite a change; hope you're ready for the heat down here!

I would stay in NY man. Like Erin said, the heat is really ridiculous and if you're not used to it, it will drain you. It happened to me. I lived in NY and went to Florida for undergrad and couldn't deal with it so now I'm at Touro back in NY. I love it! It's a great school. You won't be disappointed, that's for sure. Don't make the mistake of leaving NY and your family. You will need the support from your family. Think about living that far away...for four years. It would be rough. No place like NY. And I hear Lecom-B has a lot of professors that have strong accents and many can't understand what's going on...and you can't even have a drink or any food in the lecture hall and guys have to wear ties every day. LAME!!!! Be relaxed at Touro, where you learn and sit there in your relaxing apparel!

Last edited:
Id stay in NY if it was my choice. Fellow NYer here. Why didn't you apply to the ERIE campus?

See: Threads about why to avoid LECOM ERIE.

Exactly... And why not FL, same school. LECOM accents don't scare me. I actually liked the Dean's accent or whatever he was, maybe assistant dean. He was pretty funny.

Thank you guys for the input. We'll see monday is my last day to decide without putting down any $.

Exactly... And why not FL, same school. LECOM accents don't scare me. I actually liked the Dean's accent or whatever he was, maybe assistant dean. He was pretty funny.

Thank you guys for the input. We'll see monday is my last day to decide without putting down any $.

At least you guys don't have to put down $6000 like the Class of 2013 did.

I say no FL because of the horrendous rules they have at LECOM, the humidity in Florida, and the fact that your family would only be a drive away. Possibly go home every weekend unlike if you go to Florida, you'll have to buy a plane ticket to go home AND you wouldn't be able to go that often.

All in all it just makes sense to stay in NY instead of moving that far away...plus I go there and it's truly a great experience.

I say no FL because of the horrendous rules they have at LECOM, the humidity in Florida, and the fact that your family would only be a drive away. Possibly go home every weekend unlike if you go to Florida, you'll have to buy a plane ticket to go home AND you wouldn't be able to go that often.

All in all it just makes sense to stay in NY instead of moving that far away...plus I go there and it's truly a great experience.

...Yes it all sounds great. You going to pay about the extra $10,000 a year its going to cost me...

But it's not that. I don't know. I didn't go away from my undergrad. I stayed home. I regret not having that away experience.

NY is a great place. But I do live here, and will be back 1 day.

I'd have to say if I lived in Nassau/Queens... And could commute, i'd maybe be thinking harder about Touro. Or if I only got into Touro, I'd be all for Touro. But I'm not gona take an 1 & 1/2ish each way commute daily. And NYC $1,000 a month will have me living in a closet. In FL it's got me living in a palace...

As for dress code. Yes I know I will hate it. But I dress that way to work every day anyway. I'm slowly getting used to it... There is air conditioning in school lol.

With the no drinks policy... I may have to resort to a caffeine pill qd lol.

I just kind of think I need the on my own away experience. I'm pretty independent. Mom and Dad don't really do anything for me except let me live here.

I paid for all my school applications, interview flights, etc.

FL will bring down pretty much all my costs. As long as hopefully I can transfer my salary.

ya I'll pay...when you choose Touro, message me and I'll give you my name and you can find me at school.

Are you all talking Asian/foreign accents or Southern accents?

Accents are something you're all going to have to get used to. Not just in school, but in your careers!

Are you all talking Asian/foreign accents or Southern accents?

Accents are something you're all going to have to get used to. Not just in school, but in your careers!

Na, this guy was Indian or something. He was cool though. I liked him. Yes na, believe me, I'm from NY. I goto school with a very diverse population. I'm cool with it. And most of my relatives are from midwest/south.