LECOM ISP question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Trek 1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently interviewed at LECOM and requested ISP as my track. I am a bit worried, but I think that is just because it is the smallest number of students.

I never learned one thing out of science lectures in college, although I attended all of them. My college also had mandatory PBL "workshop" sessions each week for science classes, I also never learned one thing- concentrated too much on the personalities of the people in the group, etc. (my psychology background). I was a psych. major and didn't take too many science courses other than the prereqs, however I always taught myself everything in those classes, didn't learn it from lecture. I think ISP would work well for me because I can study on my own, and when I don't get something I can either see a prof. or go to that lecture.

My question is this: do you feel ISP is the right choice for me based on that information and do you think I will be able to teach myself all the med school information (I know it is not terribly complex, just terribly gigantic), even with my non-science background?

Members don't see this ad.

Dr Trek 1 said:
Hey guys,

I recently interviewed at LECOM and requested ISP as my track. I am a bit worried, but I think that is just because it is the smallest number of students.

I never learned one thing out of science lectures in college, although I attended all of them. My college also had mandatory PBL "workshop" sessions each week for science classes, I also never learned one thing- concentrated too much on the personalities of the people in the group, etc. (my psychology background). I was a psych. major and didn't take too many science courses other than the prereqs, however I always taught myself everything in those classes, didn't learn it from lecture. I think ISP would work well for me because I can study on my own, and when I don't get something I can either see a prof. or go to that lecture.

My question is this: do you feel ISP is the right choice for me based on that information and do you think I will be able to teach myself all the med school information (I know it is not terribly complex, just terribly gigantic), even with my non-science background?

Thanks very much!
Jonathan

I just accepted a seat in the ISP for LECOM-erie class of 2010, and was also a little wary, but decided it was the right choice for me. From your background it sounds like the ISP will suit you best. LECOM has a heavy amount of lecture time (30-35 hours a week), and it is all mandatory. This is a HUGE waste of time if you are an independent learner. Besides, you are welcome in all the classes, AND if you do not like the ISP, you can switch into the LDP at later date. It is much more difficult to switch from LDP to ISP, I was informed at the interview.

I'm sure you will do fine in the ISP program as long as you are organized. Best of luck!

christinejane19 said:
I just accepted a seat in the ISP for LECOM-erie class of 2010, and was also a little wary, but decided it was the right choice for me. From your background it sounds like the ISP will suit you best. LECOM has a heavy amount of lecture time (30-35 hours a week), and it is all mandatory. This is a HUGE waste of time if you are an independent learner. Besides, you are welcome in all the classes, AND if you do not like the ISP, you can switch into the LDP at later date. It is much more difficult to switch from LDP to ISP, I was informed at the interview.

I'm sure you will do fine in the ISP program as long as you are organized. Best of luck!

Good to hear there is a healthy interest in ISP. I happen to be in the ISP program, also the class ISP rep.
Being an independent learner is key to the ISP program. You can work with one another to get the work and modules done. We break off into group to get modules done and then study on our own, asking questions when they pop up.
You can do ISP even if you do not have a strong science background, although it does help a little for core sciences like biochem and physiology.
If you have any particular questions about ISP or lecom in general, feel free to AIM me at CornellMedic or e-mail at [email protected]