LECOM MMS vs. Ross MedOrigin: Which Path?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AKG21

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LECOM Bradenton MMS vs. Ross MedOrigin: Academic Preparation, Progression, and Attrition

I have been accepted to LECOM Bradenton’s MMS program beginning July 2027 and also have the option of starting Ross University’s MedOrigin program in January 2027. I would appreciate informed perspectives, particularly from students who have completed either pathway.

For context, my undergraduate GPA was 3.4/4.0, my premedical post-baccalaureate GPA was 2.67/4.0, and my highest MCAT score across multiple attempts was 487. I recognize that these numbers raise legitimate concerns about my academic preparation.

My understanding from discussions with LECOM is that the MMS does not require the MCAT and that progression to the DO program is based on performance within the MMS. I was told that the dean extends offers during the program and that students earning above approximately 3.5 generally receive admission. My acceptance letter separately outlines eligibility for an early interview at a 3.0, subject to additional requirements. I understand that interview eligibility and an admission offer are different, and I would welcome clarification from recent students about how this works in practice.

Assuming successful progression without delays, the timelines I am considering are:

  • Ross: Begin MedOrigin in January 2027, finish basic sciences around December 2028, proceed toward USMLE Step 1, and potentially graduate in 2031.
  • LECOM: Begin MMS in July 2027, matriculate into the DO program in fall 2028 if admitted, and potentially graduate in 2032.
Ross could therefore offer an earlier graduation date, but only if every transition goes smoothly. I have heard concerns about withdrawals and attrition, and I would appreciate reliable information about how frequently students progress from MedOrigin into the MD program and subsequently complete it.

My central concern is entering medical school with the preparation and support needed to remain in the program and graduate. For those with firsthand experience:

  1. How effectively does each program prepare students with weaker academic backgrounds for medical school?
  2. What proportion of entering students progresses into the DO or MD program, and how do those students perform afterward?
  3. How accessible and effective are academic support and remediation?
  4. Would the potential one-year head start at Ross meaningfully outweigh the advantages of pursuing the LECOM pathway?
I understand that my record warrants a candid assessment. Medicine remains a deeply considered goal, and stepping away would be a significant decision. I am not treating the time I have invested as proof that I will succeed; I am trying to determine whether either opportunity offers a realistic path forward. Specific experiences and evidence would be especially helpful.

The MMS program is 9 months long and commences July 2027; Ross, on the other hand, commences January 2027 and last for 16 weeks.

My main concern with the MMS program is how likely is it to progress to the DO program after completing it? The last thing I would would want for myself is having a master's degree but no medical school seat in sight.

With Ross, the challenges are not making it into medical school, but making sure that I finish. From what I have heard, the attrition rate at caribbean schools is higher and it is significantly more challenging to match into residency as an IMG. I know that majority of caribbean grads match into IM, FM or Peds, but even then it is still more challenging than U.S M.D./D.O.

Do you believe that I would be saving time by going to Ross? Graduating in 2031 and matching that same year? Also even after completing basic sciences on the islands, I'd have to make it through the comp, which I heard fails a majority of people.

If I fail the MMS program, then it would be the end of the line except much further down the line than Med Origin.

I ought to also mentioned that I previously took MERP, which I almost passed but didn't; I narrowly missed the threshold by a very thin margin.
 
LECOM Bradenton MMS vs. Ross MedOrigin: Academic Preparation, Progression, and Attrition

I have been accepted to LECOM Bradenton’s MMS program beginning July 2027 and also have the option of starting Ross University’s MedOrigin program in January 2027. I would appreciate informed perspectives, particularly from students who have completed either pathway.

For context, my undergraduate GPA was 3.4/4.0, my premedical post-baccalaureate GPA was 2.67/4.0, and my highest MCAT score across multiple attempts was 487. I recognize that these numbers raise legitimate concerns about my academic preparation.

My understanding from discussions with LECOM is that the MMS does not require the MCAT and that progression to the DO program is based on performance within the MMS. I was told that the dean extends offers during the program and that students earning above approximately 3.5 generally receive admission. My acceptance letter separately outlines eligibility for an early interview at a 3.0, subject to additional requirements. I understand that interview eligibility and an admission offer are different, and I would welcome clarification from recent students about how this works in practice.

Assuming successful progression without delays, the timelines I am considering are:

  • Ross: Begin MedOrigin in January 2027, finish basic sciences around December 2028, proceed toward USMLE Step 1, and potentially graduate in 2031.
  • LECOM: Begin MMS in July 2027, matriculate into the DO program in fall 2028 if admitted, and potentially graduate in 2032.
Ross could therefore offer an earlier graduation date, but only if every transition goes smoothly. I have heard concerns about withdrawals and attrition, and I would appreciate reliable information about how frequently students progress from MedOrigin into the MD program and subsequently complete it.

My central concern is entering medical school with the preparation and support needed to remain in the program and graduate. For those with firsthand experience:

  1. How effectively does each program prepare students with weaker academic backgrounds for medical school?
  2. What proportion of entering students progresses into the DO or MD program, and how do those students perform afterward?
  3. How accessible and effective are academic support and remediation?
  4. Would the potential one-year head start at Ross meaningfully outweigh the advantages of pursuing the LECOM pathway?
I understand that my record warrants a candid assessment. Medicine remains a deeply considered goal, and stepping away would be a significant decision. I am not treating the time I have invested as proof that I will succeed; I am trying to determine whether either opportunity offers a realistic path forward. Specific experiences and evidence would be especially helpful.

The MMS program is 9 months long and commences July 2027; Ross, on the other hand, commences January 2027 and last for 16 weeks.

My main concern with the MMS program is how likely is it to progress to the DO program after completing it? The last thing I would would want for myself is having a master's degree but no medical school seat in sight.

With Ross, the challenges are not making it into medical school, but making sure that I finish. From what I have heard, the attrition rate at caribbean schools is higher and it is significantly more challenging to match into residency as an IMG. I know that majority of caribbean grads match into IM, FM or Peds, but even then it is still more challenging than U.S M.D./D.O.

Do you believe that I would be saving time by going to Ross? Graduating in 2031 and matching that same year? Also even after completing basic sciences on the islands, I'd have to make it through the comp, which I heard fails a majority of people.

If I fail the MMS program, then it would be the end of the line except much further down the line than Med Origin.

I ought to also mentioned that I previously took MERP, which I almost passed but didn't; I narrowly missed the threshold by a very thin margin.
Reality check time. Almost passing, almost passing by a very small margin is still fairly. This is not a reflection on you as a human being or a measure of yourself work. It just shows that you failed to demonstrate minimal confidence, much less any Mastery of the subject.

Do you have test taking and anxiety issues? Do you sell sabotage and change your correct answers to wrong answers because you overthink?

Under no circumstances should you be considering ross. All they do is steal your money, and then kick you out when you can't perform.
 
Reality check time. Almost passing, almost passing by a very small margin is still fairly. This is not a reflection on you as a human being or a measure of yourself work. It just shows that you failed to demonstrate minimal confidence, much less any Mastery of the subject.

Do you have test taking and anxiety issues? Do you sell sabotage and change your correct answers to wrong answers because you overthink?

Under no circumstances should you be considering ross. All they do is steal your money, and then kick you out when you can't perform.

I've heard a lot of people say the same thing about Ross, which is why I am hesitant in starting.

I know that my record isn't the best, and I do realize that if I want to succeed as a medical student, I'd have to make some major changes to my study habits, and I am ready to do that.

My question is that given the choice, which would be the better option? LECOM MMS? If so, do you think it is possible to transition into the D.O. program?
 
I've heard a lot of people say the same thing about Ross, which is why I am hesitant in starting.

I know that my record isn't the best, and I do realize that if I want to succeed as a medical student, I'd have to make some major changes to my study habits, and I am ready to do that.

My question is that given the choice, which would be the better option? LECOM MMS?
What did we just tell you??

If so, do you think it is possible to transition into the D.O. program?
Only the people that Lecom can answer that. I can tell you that at my school and others, you would not be considered for admission even if you aced a special Masters program. We have learned the hard way that people who have failed out of other medical schools still carry a lot of baggage