LECOM, New Topic, New Focus, Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

WishUponAStar

Okay...

I think I was too negative in the other thread, and I don't believe that LECOM deserves to be battered on the forums. It is a disservice to the hard working students already there, and it is a disservice to the school. Admittedly, I think I sounded more negative than I should have been.

My concern with LECOM is the clinical training and the residency opportunities. I have heard that only 60% of LECOM grads get their first choice in residency, and most of them are going for primary care, family meds, etc. That is a very scary number to me for alot of personal reasons. It may not be of concern for alot of applicants. I'd love to hear some feedback from current students on that one.

I have also heard that many of the clinical rotations are less than desirable for someone who wishes to stay firmly grounded. The rotations in Erie are not an option, being as though I am not a big proponent of the town. I've looked over the affiliation sheet and my choices aren't great. Can current students comment on that one?

Can any of you comment on the Independent Study Pathway? That's another area I am not happy about. No lecture, No class other than labs... Paying all that money, I want to attend lecture, and skip lecture if I feel. That pathway doesn't seem suited to me.

There aren't any opportunities to become an OMM fellow. That is a big turn off to me. I am very interested in OMM, and I want to pursue a 5th year fellowship offered at some of the other schools -- or maybe I'll change my mind... But I want the option there when the time comes.

I think Erie is a good school for the students who are a good fit for the program. Many of you have clicked with Erie, are having a good education, and will come out fine physicians. I think it is said best that you have to attend the school that best fits your wants and needs. I'm not sure Erie is that school for me.

Thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

From whom did you hear that LECOM grads have a 60% match to their first choice.

WUAS,
Where did your other post go? I was curious to see what some other people thought about your dilemma.

Members don't see this ad :)
DOtoBe,

I deleted the thread. I didn't like that the post seemed to be negative, and you Erie students work as hard as any other students. It wasn't appropriate.

I thought this was a better discussion.

The numbers came from a previous year USNEWS ranking as I understand it.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by DOtobe:
•WUAS,
Where did your other post go? I was curious to see what some other people thought about your dilemma.•••••

We were just told that the first choice match was close to 80%.

Did you choose the ISP when you interviewed because that's how everybody else did? If you don't like the pathway, you could probably switch.

You are probably not going to find the answers you want on this forum. Call and talk to administration about rotations and residencies...especially for specific numbers and such.

I'm praying for you. I know that things will work out for you where ever you go or do.

Wish Upon A Star,
I will be attending LECOM in the Fall and I wanted to let you know the results of a considerable amount of research done on my part.
Number 1: The match to residency of choice is very close to 85%
Number 2: Independent Study Pathway is a path that you choose at your interview, and very competitive, to say the least. In other words if you don't want it, they definately WILL NOT give it to you.
Number 3: I know several Physicians at diffrent institutions, and all have very high opinions of the education that LECOM is providing there students, not to mention Doc's that have students rotate through their offices.
Number 4: I have 2 friends who graduated from LECOM that are currently in a general surgey residency, and one is just starting an ENT residency, both at their first choice programs.

Give it a chance, work hard, and good luck.

Also, just 2 years in Erie than you can go anywhere, the list of approved rotation sites grows often.