LECOM: opinions needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LECOM pharmacy school:

• great school!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • seems like a good school.

• hell in disguise.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

karariki

www.chanhonline.com
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to LECOM.
can anyone give me some opinions about this school? positive opinions, hopefully.

from what i've read so far, LECOM's admission staffs have earned the name of "the office of dis-information" since they're well known for late responses & disorganization. besides all of that, I want to know some (possibly-positive) things about them. what about the school program? the faculty? the academic stuffs in general.

thanks a bunch! :)

Members don't see this ad.

karariki said:
I'm applying to LECOM.
can anyone give me some opinions about this school? positive opinions, hopefully.

from what i've read so far, LECOM's admission staffs have earned the name of "the office of dis-information" since they're well known for late responses & disorganization. besides all of that, I want to know some (possibly-positive) things about them. what about the school program? the faculty? the academic stuffs in general.

thanks a bunch! :)

Negative:
- Dress code.
- They take off points for being late or absent, unless you have a medical reason.
- Cold, cold, cold, 10-32 F most of the time over here.
- Nothing fun in and around Erie.
- LECOM favors DO students more than P students.
- Certain professors are rude and irrecpectful to students (they act like you are a child).
- most don't speak good English (Dr. Tran, Karimi, Asim Abu-Baker, Khan Ghilzai, Seher Khan, etc....), but they have their PharmD/PhD.
- high rate of denouncement (surely due to competitivity).
- Since it's a 3-year program, you won't have time to learn anything in depth, just study for that ****ing test, and pass it (you can still get an A though).
- Cannot bring or carry a bottle of water in the hallway or classroom.
- Video camera monitoring every single room! (could be considered positive as well).
- Almost no residency ( I think only 1 student this year).
- iThey give you an F for not bringing your calculator (even though you really don't need it for simple calculations...).

Positive:
- it's only 3 years.
- Notes are online, you dont need to take any notes!
- Multiple choices exams.
- Again, it's only 3 years!

I am also considering applying there. How hard is it to get into? Is it competititve? What is the average GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking about it too. I am not sure though because they are not a well known school. Since I just got a job at a pharmacy as a tech I will ask the pharmacist there what they think about people graduating from that school.

Julientampa said:
Negative:
- Dress code.
- They take off points for being late or absent, unless you have a medical reason.
- Cold, cold, cold, 10-32 F most of the time over here.
- Nothing fun in and around Erie.
- LECOM favors DO students more than P students.
- Certain professors are rude and irrecpectful to students (they act like you are a child).
- most don't speak good English (Dr. Tran, Karimi, Asim Abu-Baker, Khan Ghilzai, Seher Khan, etc....), but they have their PharmD/PhD.
- high rate of denouncement (surely due to competitivity).
- Since it's a 3-year program, you won't have time to learn anything in depth, just study for that ****ing test, and pass it (you can still get an A though).
- Cannot bring or carry a bottle of water in the hallway or classroom.
- Video camera monitoring every single room! (could be considered positive as well).
- Almost no residency ( I think only 1 student this year).
- iThey give you an F for not bringing your calculator (even though you really don't need it for simple calculations...).

Positive:
- it's only 3 years.
- Notes are online, you dont need to take any notes!
- Multiple choices exams.
- Again, it's only 3 years!

WOW, I never knew all these things. Thanks for your detailed post; now I know that I'm a west-coast native who's very used to sunny weather, anything below 40 I don't think I can handle. :eek: Plus, their private school tuition is quite expensive, there seems to be more negs than positives...

Julientampa,
Do you happen to know what LECOM's Naplex pass rate is?

SpOrTsChIc said:
Julientampa,
Do you happen to know what LECOM's Naplex pass rate is?

I don't know the rate since the school has never published their statistics.
The school has more negatives than positive, but they don't require the PCAT and don't require on-site interview for admission.
Again, it's only 3 years. Actually, you don't need to stay physically in Erie for 3 years (only about 18 months), and you do your rotation for the rest of the time.
From what I know, they kind of accept applicants randomly, you don't need to have a high GPA (3.00 is fine), pharmacy experience, or any degree to get accepted.
It only depends on 2 factors: chance and telephone interview.

Do they favor local applicants?

thank you, Julientampa for letting us know this. your candid comments are truly appreciated. sound like u regret going to LECOM.
I just got a phone interview w/ LECOM a week ago, i'll probably hear from them 3 months later. :D still, i hope i'll get in . :oops:

I've never heard from LECOM since I interviewed in January, just wonder why it takes so long!