LECOM or AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daldoc

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious what you guys think, I've been accepted to both LECOM and AZCOM and I anticipate NOVA to follow (?) Where should I go? What are some factors you used to make a decision? Maybe that will help. A couple things about me - I'm originally from Erie, not a major issue, but would be nice to go home, they also have my $1500 deposit. Thanks for your help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

1. What part of the country would you like to establish your practice?
2. You could compare the total cost of your education/living expenses among the schools.
3. Would you like to live close to your family while in school?

Hope it helps.

Being a first year at AZCOM, I must admit that I'm biased - come to AZCOM!

I'm from the east coast and found it quite easy to adapt to the heat and different terrain of the west. I'm very impressed with the faculty and my classmates. It's a solid school.

Good luck with your decision,

Phillip, MS-1

Members don't see this ad :)
Give me the real poop on AZCOM. I have been invited there for an interview. What made you pick this school in particular? I heard that the school is only about 5 yrs old, and would be a little concerned that maybe the faculty is still experimenting with the curriculum or other matters that could disrupt student academic life. Any truth to this? I've also heard that the place has a dress code, true? Any info you could give would be appreciated!

Dress code = No shirt, no shoes, no service. Sorry, that's my smart ass way of saying there is no dress code here.

As for age of the school, I haven't experienced it to be an issue. As I'm sure you're aware, the school is under the same university blanket as CCOM--which has been around for 100 years.

Most of the faculty came here from CCOM--so, as I tell interviewees and potential applicants, it's not like a bunch of people just said, "Well, let's build a med school in the desert." Really, everything runs pretty smoothly here--well, as smoothly as a first year of med school can go. I think the schedule for our class is pretty similar to last year's (I think they increased the number of contact hours that we have to spend in our preceptors' offices during the first two years, but that's about all). I'm not aware of any future curriculum changes--but that, of course, is ALWAYS subject to change (at any school--not just a young one).

The main thing that our class bitches about is percentage grading on our OMM practical exams (one per quarter). I tend to agree that assigning a percentage for a demonstration is probably not a fair way to assess one's abilities, but, in the grand scheme of things, that portion of the grade doesn't end up mattering a lot.

Why did I pick this school? 1) Best interview experience BY FAR of any of the school I was fortunate enough to visit. 2)Facilities--nice and new. 3) Student satisfaction. Everyone I talked to loved it here, and I understand why.

Check out the student run web page:
http://www.azcomstudents.org

The page has lots of good info.--including match list for the first graduating class.

I think it's a wonderful school, and I'm happy with my choice. Investigate all the schools that interview you, and compare. Good luck.

I agree with Boomer and Mayqsweat. Coming to AZCOM is by far the best decision I have ever made in my life. Nowhere else is there such a charming and diverse group of folks (not to mention exquisitely talented, intelligent, and ohhhhh so humble).

Medical school can be exhausting and difficult to say the least, but as long as I have guys around that make me laugh, and remind me that life can be and is a blast, I'm staying put.

Good luck in exams tomorrow guys, I know who else is procrastinating tonight

Hey guys...glad to hear you are so pumped to attend AZCOM. I have an interview next month and any input that you may have would be greatly appreciated.

tiff