LECOM-PA info...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDocDO

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I need some help obtaining some info about LECOM. Please help me with the following. Thank you everyone for posting!

- are anatomy practical exams multiple choice with 2nd and 3rd order questions, multiple choice with first order questions, or fill in the blank?

- is embryology a separate course or bundled in with anatomy?

- how many hours of OMM per week? How long is OMM....first year only or both first and second year?

- is the curriculum PBL based or not?

- can you show up the summer prior to the start of your first year and take a class?

- What is the official anatomy textbook (Gray's Anatomy, Gray's for Students, Clinically Oriented Anatomy)?

- Do they grade on a curve?

Members don't see this ad.

:laugh: I am an MS 4 at Lecom who was part of the PBL pathway. Maybe I can help you out a bit:

1. Anatomy practicals are fill in the blank; however, there are many 2nd and 3rd order questions on them.

2. Embryology, histology, and gross anatomy are 3 separate courses that you take for the first 12 weeks during your MS 1 year. With the exception of OMM, you focus solely on these topics.

3. You are required to spend 2 1/2 hours in OMM each Wed. This time is divided between a 1 hour lecture and a 1 1/2 hour lab.

4. Lecom - Erie has 3 pathways (lecture, PBL, and Independent study) You are required to select which pathway you want to be considered for during your interview. Lecom - Bradenton is PBL only.

5. As far as I am aware, you cannot take a class prior to the start of your MS 1 year. Trust me, the tuition wouldn't be worth it. Besides, you will have plenty of time to learn medical topics. Enjoy your summer off.

6. Unless something has changed, Lecom uses Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy. You are allowed to select which atlas you like best. Most people prefer Netters.

7. You are most definitely not graded on a curve. Remember 70 = DO. The good news is that they tend to drop questions that are unfair. Often, a class can argue and get a few questions dropped off of each exam.

Good luck. :luck:

sddoc said:
:laugh: I am an MS 4 at Lecom who was part of the PBL pathway. Maybe I can help you out a bit:

1. Anatomy practicals are fill in the blank; however, there are many 2nd and 3rd order questions on them.

2. Embryology, histology, and gross anatomy are 3 separate courses that you take for the first 12 weeks during your MS 1 year. With the exception of OMM, you focus solely on these topics.

3. You are required to spend 2 1/2 hours in OMM each Wed. This time is divided between a 1 hour lecture and a 1 1/2 hour lab.

4. Lecom - Erie has 3 pathways (lecture, PBL, and Independent study) You are required to select which pathway you want to be considered for during your interview. Lecom - Bradenton is PBL only.

5. As far as I am aware, you cannot take a class prior to the start of your MS 1 year. Trust me, the tuition wouldn't be worth it. Besides, you will have plenty of time to learn medical topics. Enjoy your summer off.

6. Unless something has changed, Lecom uses Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy. You are allowed to select which atlas you like best. Most people prefer Netters.

7. You are most definitely not graded on a curve. Remember 70 = DO. The good news is that they tend to drop questions that are unfair. Often, a class can argue and get a few questions dropped off of each exam.

Good luck. :luck:

I was accepted into LECOM as PBL, what is a week in the life of a PBLer after 12 weeks or so when the pathways break apart?

Raven Feather said:
I was accepted into LECOM as PBL, what is a week in the life of a PBLer after 12 weeks or so when the pathways break apart?
I am a MS-I PBL'er, and LIFE IS GOOD!

Granted, it is still medical school, so you do have to work like you have never done before. But to not be trapped in lecture all day is priceless. I wake up around 10 every morning, have breakfast and check my e-mail, then usually head to the gym. I work most of the afternoon, but I take breaks often (my attention span is pretty short). I like to stay up later at night, so if that is something you relate to, this pathway is a good choice. We meet as a group usually two or three times a week for two hours, and work through our cases. There are still random lectures that you attend (right now we have spirituality, ethics, and medicine), and you attend OMM on Wednesday mornings.

Hope this info helps. :)