• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
  • Free admissions webinar for pre-vets! “Apply Smarter” Webinar

medic170

American Infidel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2001
1,858
4
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Ok. So I emailed the admissions staff to inquire about the status of my postbacc application. This is the reply they gave me..."It [your application]has been reviewed. A letter has been generated and we are waiting for
a
signature. The person who will be signing the letter has been out of
town
and we are just waiting to receive it back! Sorry for the delay and I do
appreciate your patience."

That was Monday, and I still have not received a letter. I don't like the way they just left me hanging, I would have preferred that they just say "It is still under review" or something like that, but now I know that they have made a decision and I am left not knowing what that decision is. (nothing against the admissions staff, they have actually been very responsive and helpful, and I am sure they did not mean to make me feel this way). Furthermore, now I am starting to look at this negatively...I mean, if I were accepted, they probable would have said so in the email, right? The way it reads, its beginning to look like a rejection in how they said "a letter has been generated" rather than "an acceptance letter has been generated." To top it off, I have been told in the past that they usually call the applicant to tell them they were accepted, and I received no call!

Anyway, maybe I am reading into this too much. it is just so stressful to be a non-trad, work full time, and go to school full time to finish the pre-requisites. I guess I just needed to vent, but fell free to post your opinions or experiences if you have been involved with the LECOM post-bacc.

I also had a question. As I posted before, I also applied to Duquesne's postbac program and was accepted. Problem is, if I get into LECOM I am going to go there, but Duquesne wants a $300 deposit by next Friday or I will forfeit my spot. Do you think I should call LECOM and ask if they have any new information regarding an acceptance, or just continue to wait and hope I get a letter by Friday? I was not sure what the "proper" thing to do is. Thanks!
 

911Med

Senior Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
My bet is that your in - they are awaiting the Dean's signature.
If your were rejected, they could have an AD sign of on it and you would be notified sooner. Think positive.
If you are stressing about the $300 deposit, I would call Duq up and tell them the situation prior to the deadline. I'm sure they could work something out.
 

maishaldan

80's *****
15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2004
81
0
43
Cali, baby
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
I called the office myself, Melissa told me the same thing: The person who's doing the signatures is out, (where?) but the letter has been generated. I also applied to Duq's program, but I have a phone interview week from today. IMHO, I would call LECOM by Wed and inform them of your situation, they won't turn down your $17K tuition 'cause no one can sign a piece of paper. However, I do think we both got in, we applied relatively early; that's what one of the Admissions office people told me when I called a few weeks ago.

I feel the frustration, I'm a non-traditional, full-time employed applicant myself.
 
About the Ads

medic170

American Infidel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2001
1,858
4
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
maishaldan said:
I called the office myself, Melissa told me the same thing: The person who's doing the signatures is out, (where?) but the letter has been generated. I also applied to Duq's program, but I have a phone interview week from today. IMHO, I would call LECOM by Wed and inform them of your situation, they won't turn down your $17K tuition 'cause no one can sign a piece of paper. However, I do think we both got in, we applied relatively early; that's what one of the Admissions office people told me when I called a few weeks ago.

I feel the frustration, I'm a non-traditional, full-time employed applicant myself.


I feel a little better knowing I am not the only one. It just seems like, if the letter is generated, then tall me what it says!! When did you call, just curious? Also, I was confused about when you said you called the admissions people a few weeks ago, they told you that you were accepted or that it was more likely to be accepted when you apply early?

I just really believe that this program is the best route for me. Duquesne is good, but LECOM is a better fit for me (2 hours closer to my wife's school) and, I believe, it is the best route to med school for people like us. Anyway I guess I will keep waiting and hope for the best, and maybe call late next week. I hope to see you there this fall!
 

medic170

American Infidel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2001
1,858
4
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Mail came today, and still no letter from LECOM :mad:
 

maishaldan

80's *****
15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2004
81
0
43
Cali, baby
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
medic170 said:
Also, I was confused about when you said you called the admissions people a few weeks ago, they told you that you were accepted or that it was more likely to be accepted when you apply early?
Medic,

Sorry I couldn't get back to you earlier, I interviewed for TUCOM-Vegas yesterday. In regards to your question, I'm referring to when I called admissions at LECOM in Mar; she said there's lots of time, but don't delay; so I think we're cool. I also learned something from the Touro Dir. of Admissions. He told us he doesn't send an email notification of Accept/Reject/Waitlist decision until the Dean signs every letter (paper) that goes out to the applicants. Even though the Admissions Committee votes, one is not officially accepted 'till the Dean signs. So, I think the same situation applies for the two of us 'cause if the letter "generated" is a Reject; an associate or junior representative should be able to sign off, right? That's what I think, at least. So, I wish you the best, but if things go right for me, I don't want to be at LECOM in the fall.

Most important, we aren't the only ones (non-trad applicants). Of our group of ten interviewees yesterday, at least 7 have been out of school for a few years and have done Master's level work. That doesn't mean you have to get one though, I'm pretty sure I'm getting in, and I don't have graduate level work completed. In general, I think DO schools like non-trad applicants and look at applicants more as people than numbers. So, once again, I wish you the very best. Questions? Don't hesitate to ask in this thread or PM.
 

medic170

American Infidel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2001
1,858
4
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I finally got ahold of LECOM today. The person I talked to said that her computer was already turned off and she would not be back until Monday, she said she would call me then if she had time. I just don't know what to do. Duqesne will not budge on the deposit that is due Monday. If I do not have it in, I lose my spot. LECOM will not give me any info until Monday if I am lucky. I just don't know what to do?
 

maishaldan

80's *****
15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2004
81
0
43
Cali, baby
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
medic170 said:
The person I talked to said that her computer was already turned off and she would not be back until Monday, she said she would call me then if she had time.
What a bunch of crap!! :mad:

Allright, you've got some choices:

1. Call LECOM again 1st thing tomorrow morning, playback the situation again, gently letting them know that you'll have to choose Duq if you don't know what's up.

2. Bite the bullet and pay the deposit (I highly recommend). I feel the wife situation, I'm engaged (together for 7+ years) LECOM is preferred, but you gotta go somewhere. Besides, you could still go to LECOM, you'll just be out the $300.00 deposit.

Things to consider:

A: Duq has a linkage agreement w/LECOM; so you could go there, apply next year, and attend LECOM in the fall of next year completely avoiding the glide year!

B: Duq's program is much better than I previously thought. I just had my phone interview and learned a few things. If you need to take grad-level science courses to disprove past mediocrity, (Me) Duq has got PhD programs in Bio, Biochem, and Chem, as well as a Pharm school. So you have some quality courses to choose from; and if you're not like me, then you've got more variety.

The situation sucks, and I'm sorry. So I wish you the best, 'cause you'll ultimately reach your goal; just don't give up, and YOU WILL NOT FAIL!
 
About the Ads