LECOM vs. MCPHS-Worcester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrCure21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone:

I just want to hear your opinion about which school would you attend if you are accepted to both LECOM school of pharmacy and Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (MCPHS)-Worcester?
Both schools have an accelerated three year curriculum. However, LECOM tuition is less expensive.
Any opinions and suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

DrCure21

Members don't see this ad.

DrCure21 said:
Hello everyone:

I just want to hear your opinion about which school would you attend if you are accepted to both LECOM school of pharmacy and Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (MCPHS)-Worcester?
Both schools have an accelerated three year curriculum. However, LECOM tuition is less expensive.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

DrCure21

I got accepted to MCPHS-Worcester. I also applied UOP, USN and LECOM and am waiting for an interview.

I would say that as long as school is fully accredited, it doesn't matter what school you go. But people usually don't recommend to go to new 3 year program.

When I need to decided, I would think about tuition, location, retention rate, board passing rate and student satisfaction at each school.

Tuition

UOP > MCPHS ~ USN > Midwestern > LECOM

MCPHS is a bit more expensive than USN but you don't get a government loan at USN so when you think about the interest, MCPHS would be about the same as USN or a bit cheaper.

I believe that none of 5 schools are located in great area unless you have raised in the area, so it totally depends on your tatse. If you are ok with cold wheather, MCPHS and LECOM would be a good choice. Otherwise, sunny and nice weather would be UOP... really hot weather,,, USN~ and so on.. you will need to decide.

Retention rate

It looks like USN and Midwestern have higher retention rate than other schools. MCPHS would be about 92%. No idea on LECOM but UOP is pretty bad according to current students.

Board passing rate

USN, UOP and Midwestern have very good rate, higher than 95%. MCPHS has 90~92%. I don't know about LECOM.

Student satisfaction

I have never heard any complains from USN students. I personally worked with a Midwestern intern and he really liked the school. A lot of people mentioned that there are a lot of problems in MCPHS but according to current student, it is fairly a good school and a lot of complaints are a sort of rumor or from a friend's friends' friends. UOP has a couple of bad professors who fail a lot of students so I have seen students are not that happy about their school.

You will need to decide by yourself what school you will go eventually. It is a tough question to answer you which school is better than others. Take above things into consideration and think about it for a while before you decide.

So between MCPHS and LECOM, I would go MCPHS since I liked the area and my brother lives in boston and a couple of my friends from undergraduates are there.

DrCure21 said:
Hello everyone:

Thank you.

Sincerely,

DrCure21

If I had to go to either MCPHS or LECOM I would choose MCPHS without hesitation. I've never been to LECOM and don't know much about it but MCPHS was really nice when I went there (brand new buildings, decent location, full accredidation, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Calrx,

Have you heard anything else from MCPHS? or Campbell? Just wondering because I still haven't heard anything from Campbell and I spoke with MCPHS yesterday and they are putting my application on hold until they receive my fall transcripts! Which are on the way so, I should hear soon. Hopefully it will be good news! :oops:

pharmdwannab said:
Hey Calrx,

Have you heard anything else from MCPHS? or Campbell? Just wondering because I still haven't heard anything from Campbell and I spoke with MCPHS yesterday and they are putting my application on hold until they receive my fall transcripts! Which are on the way so, I should hear soon. Hopefully it will be good news! :oops:

Hey!.....

I found out about a month ago that I was placed on the Wait List at MCPHS. I stinks but I suppose it's better than being rejected right away! :rolleyes: The good thing about MCPHS is that they work very quickly so you definitely should hear from them in the near future. I'm sure you'll get an interview! :luck:

As far as Campbell is concerned, I received notifications in the mail a while back saying that my application was complete, but haven't heard anything since then. How about you? Are you still retaking the PCAT in Jan?

thank you everyone for your opinion and advise. Thank you imkim01 for your explanation. awesome. thanks to calrx as well.
I am going to MCPHS-Worcester for sure; here it goes $750 dollars deposit..
Thanks!

Drcure21

chuks_pharmD said:
hi...CALRX.......just out of curiosity.why were u on the wait list??? was it after the interview....?

please let me know...i'm curious.....

I had an interview back in November and after that I was placed on the alternative list. I don't know of any school that wait lists people before they interivew them. I have no idea where I stand on the list; it would probably be a good idea for me to call and find that out! Will schools give out your status or is it a big secret?

DrCure21 said:
thank you everyone for your opinion and advise. Thank you imkim01 for your explanation. awesome. thanks to calrx as well.
I am going to MCPHS-Worcester for sure; here it goes $750 dollars deposit..
Thanks!

Drcure21

You are very welcome.

I'm so happy for you! What a relief to know where you'll be going to school and not have to worry about it anymore. I can't wait until I'm at that point.. phewww! :cool:

YAY for you! :D

I am still taking the PCAT in Jan. I am hoping I will get in my number one choice SCCP! I don't know since I did so bad on the Oct. test. Anyhow, what are your feelings on them (MCPHS) putting me on hold for my fall grades? Why do they normally do that? I was very upset when I found this out. I made a C+ in O-Chem I this past semester and a B+ in A&P. Those are the grades they are waiting for. What do you think?

pharmdwannab said:
I am still taking the PCAT in Jan. I am hoping I will get in my number one choice SCCP! I don't know since I did so bad on the Oct. test. Anyhow, what are your feelings on them (MCPHS) putting me on hold for my fall grades? Why do they normally do that? I was very upset when I found this out. I made a C+ in O-Chem I this past semester and a B+ in A&P. Those are the grades they are waiting for. What do you think?

if you took those classes at community college, you may not be competitive. However, you took them at 4 year university, you are fine. Just wait and you will hear from them.

pharmdwannab said:

I have a couple of Cs on my transcript from my freshman & sophomore years of college and I still got an interview at MCPHS. I was asked to explain my grade trends. If you get an interview just be prepared to talk about any grades below Bs because they will ask. Good luck and let me know what happens. :)

Thanks for the info! I appreciate all the comments. I am taking physics at a 4 year university this semester but the o-chem and the A&P were at community college. I can't take many classes at 4-year universities because I pay out of pocket and I work full-time during the day. I will just wait and see what happens. Thanks again! :)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya, pharmdwannab!! :luck:

pharmdwannab said:
Thanks for the info! I appreciate all the comments. I am taking physics at a 4 year university this semester but the o-chem and the A&P were at community college. I can't take many classes at 4-year universities because I pay out of pocket and I work full-time during the day. I will just wait and see what happens. Thanks again! :)

Whoa, community college have C- and C+ thing? how come i dont my Community College does not have C+ or C- or B+ or B- =( i am sad! i am supose to get a B+ in Organic but it just a B ...also i applied to Worcester! waiting for their response back =\

Worcester is kind of a lame city in central Mass..... I would definitely consider your surroundings, its important! I go to MCPHS-Boston, and find the surroundings and student life very understimulating.

Sustiva said:
Worcester is kind of a lame city in central Mass..... I would definitely consider your surroundings, its important! I go to MCPHS-Boston, and find the surroundings and student life very understimulating.
Worcester is rather lame, but honestly, we're so busy since it's an accelerated program that there's not much time for going out. It doesn't matter that there's nothing to do. Plus, we're not distracted.