Lecom / Wvcom / Pcsom / Ccom /oucom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stephen litland

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I am not new to the site, but this is my first post: i've interviewed at LECOM / WVCOM / PCSOM / CCOM / OUCOM...I intervied at LECOM in DEC with no answer...i'm just told to hold tight...I intervied at the rest and have acceptances...I would appreciate an opinion for students of each school on what you like about your school, why I should pick your school, and Hay LECOM,,,what's up with that...its been three months!!!??? thanks evyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a student at PCSOM and think the school is pretty good. It has it's down side such as the block exam system which can be overwhelming at times. People think it is easier cuz you only have tests every three weeks but when all four or five of your exams are in a two day span it can be difficult. The good thing is you certainly feel like you have accomplished something when blocks are over, and you feel you will be as qualified as any med student when finished. PCSOM has a great OPP system with Dr. Stiles so if you are into that then this is prolly the place for you. I would say that the OPP program makes this school stand out; the other classes may be just as good at other schools. The area is very quiet so if you need a great night scene then pikeville probably ain't the place for you. In short if OPP is important to you and you are ready to work hard and learn a lot in a supportive but quiet atmosphere then you would be happy here at PCSOM. One last thing that i forget about is how small the classes are. With only 75 per class you definitely are more than a number. The dean knows you by name and face. This can be good and bad. Good luck with your decision.

I'll add my sentiments to dcratamt. I actually prefer the block schedule because the stress of tests is concentrated to once every 4 or 5 weeks instead of all the time.

No doubt that when you visited PCSOM for your interview they boasted about the new OPP lab that is going to be built. The good news is they have finally started construction so it should be finished by August. I haven't been too impressed with the facilities (for first years) here, but they should improve with the new lab, which I believe includes renovation of the 1st year classroom. The IT could be a lot worse than it is, the computer network is pretty good and things stay pretty organized and accessible in that aspect. If you're married or have a significant other they have a pretty decent support group that seems to keep my wife and child busy (that's actually a big deal to me because if she's happy I study better).

If you want any specifics there are a bunch of PCSOM students that you can PM.

Members don't see this ad :)
I must say Pikeville is beautiful, and captivated me. I actually enjoyed the atsmosphere of Pikville vs OU, especially since OU is set in a rural area. LECOM is very rigid in their attendence policy, OU not so much, and at Pikeville I was told "attendence is expected" I have a somewhat complicated family issue that will call me away from campus at times. (Of course not so that it will dissrupt my education) As a student, in practice, what is Pikeville's attendence policy.

I was told clinical skills are presented and practiced upon one another. At OU and LECOM you are placed into a clinical setting and pracitce. I'm very concerned about this. Having worked in a teaching hospital I do not want to be one of those wan'a be doc's who can't even fill out a H&P form, non the less to do a good exam. At pikville it was mentioned 1 yrs can "follow" 3rd years on rotations...i believe this is the O&PP correct? OH, an how much direct patient contact do you get in the first and second year? (sorry for the disjointed post I needed to take care of somthing while writing)

(side comment: I think it is interesting the first students to call are pcsom, I expected chicago or lecom to chime in first)

I say eliminate any school that leaves you hanging for 3 months after your interview. That's just ridiculous. And isn't WVSOM's deposit 2000 bucks? Have you paid that yet or do you need to make a decision pronto?

stephen litland said:
I must say Pikeville is beautiful, and captivated me. I actually enjoyed the atsmosphere of Pikville vs OU, especially since OU is set in a rural area. LECOM is very rigid in their attendence policy, OU not so much, and at Pikeville I was told "attendence is expected" I have a somewhat complicated family issue that will call me away from campus at times. (Of course not so that it will dissrupt my education) As a student, in practice, what is Pikeville's attendence policy.

I was told clinical skills are presented and practiced upon one another. At OU and LECOM you are placed into a clinical setting and pracitce. I'm very concerned about this. Having worked in a teaching hospital I do not want to be one of those wan'a be doc's who can't even fill out a H&P form, non the less to do a good exam. At pikville it was mentioned 1 yrs can "follow" 3rd years on rotations...i believe this is the O&PP correct? OH, an how much direct patient contact do you get in the first and second year? (sorry for the disjointed post I needed to take care of somthing while writing)

(side comment: I think it is interesting the first students to call are pcsom, I expected chicago or lecom to chime in first)
Ok let me clear something up about OUCOM and getting placed in a clinical setting to practice. You have a clinical skills course at OUCOM in which you first will practice things on one another and then will have a simulated patient experience. Basically they hire actors/actresses to come in and act out something and let you get comfortable doing the different skills. You will go in the clinical setting either 5 times per quarter or 10 times per quarter depending on whether or not you are PCC or CPC, but the doctors will not expect you to do anything that you don't know how to do. For example, the first thing you learn in clinical skills is how to take a history and write a SOAP note. When you go to the clinic you are only expected to be able to do these things. The preceptors will ask what you know how to do in most cases and will tell you to go do it. They encourage you to try out different things, but don't force you to do anything that you haven't done before. I have found that the patients in the clinic are very receptive to students. They like to feel like they are helping out and they like the extra attention that they get.

on a side note let me say that it seems that your mind is already made up. it appears that you want to go to pikeville just by the overall tone of your post. I say go wherever you think you will be the happiest.

To the cheapest state school!

I narrowed my choices to LECOM. OUCOM. and PCSOM. It was interesting on each interview. I authored a fairly successful book, every school I applied made comments except for OU. I guess OU being attached to a State University doesn't view authoring books as an exceptional accomplishment as my ego would like it perceived... :) if anyone has any other feedback I would appreciate it....Oh, I am not OU bashing...it is a fine school, each medical school is a wonderful institution each with its own strenghts, focus, and flavor...