LECOM's Post-bacc. or PCOM's Post-bacc.? Why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drjds

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you were accepted to both of these, which one did you choose and why? I'm in a little bit of dilemma.

Members don't see this ad.

drjds said:
Someone, please help!
i applied kind of late. i know about lecom so far. i may be in your boat tho. let me know if you get any good advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think both are there just to get your $$!

A master's in hard-core sciences, or a post-bac offered by an Allop. Med. school would probably be better.

Just my 2C!

thats only true if your goal is to go to allopathic medical school. LECOM and PCOM are both perfectly good schools to go into if your path is to head into osteopathic medicine. PCOM seems to be the more well known of the two, because it seems to be the most talked about, and in one of the better of the two cities in terms of opportunities before you, etc. etc.

I personally don't know any of the programs well, but if I had to make a choice, I'd probably choose PCOM. Good Luck

yeah, PCOM is a much better school.

hopesofmedicine said:
i applied kind of late. i know about lecom so far. i may be in your boat tho. let me know if you get any good advice.

So, did you get accepted to both programs (GA-PCOM and LECOM)?

if you were accpeted to GA-PCOM and LECOM, i think i would choose LECOM. philly's campus of PCOM has a great reputation, but the GA campus just opened last year. i have a friend who's in her second year of med school there and she advised me not to go because they're really unorganized in a lot of ways. you'll be the first class of biomedical science students.

lala83 said:
if you were accpeted to GA-PCOM and LECOM, i think i would choose LECOM. philly's campus of PCOM has a great reputation, but the GA campus just opened last year. i have a friend who's in her second year of med school there and she advised me not to go because they're really unorganized in a lot of ways. you'll be the first class of biomedical science students.

Well did you apply to LECOM's post-bacc. program?

no i didn't, i got into duquesne's postbacc (which has a linkage program to LECOM). i'm still waiting to hear back from PCOM.

lala83 said:
no i didn't, i got into duquesne's postbacc (which has a linkage program to LECOM). i'm still waiting to hear back from PCOM.

Did you get accepted to PCOM's post-bacc. program? I know GA-PCOM is very, very unorganized, but I think I may be attending...I pray that everything works out for the best.

If the cirriculum for the biomed program is the same at allopathic post bacc programs and osteopathic postbacc programs, can you really say which is valued more? Dosnt it really depend on your preformance in these programs? I realize if you attend the post bacc program of the school of your choice, more than likely they will favor their own, but its still the same course work. GPA still matters. Same classes different name on the transcripts. Am I wrong?

Which ever has the bigger reputation is valued more. Granted it depends a lot on your performance in the program, but the reputation of the program has an impact. The education will be similar but the environment and grading standard might be different. It is like comparing the GPA of a premed from a top ranked public undergrad school to one from a small private liberal arts school.