1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Legacy- How to use it your advantage

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by nob01001, Nov 28, 2005.

1. nob01001

nob01001 Member
    7+ Year Member

has anyone played the "legacy card"? How did you do it? Did you have the relative contact the school for you and talk to adcom? Did you have the relative donate money? Any other ideas?

I hate using this route, since I believe it is unfair to those with no prior family history in the field of dentistry. But lately I feel inclined to use it since I filled out my application late (Oct 28th) due to bad advice from my pre-health advisor. It's terrifying to hear that most sdners have already interviewed and are only waiting for Dec 1st, while my application was barely received a few days ago.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Kremlar

Kremlar Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    If you find out an answer to this one let me know, im holding that card too, just don't know how to play it... Well I have to get an interview first... but still..

4. mkogz5

mkogz5 Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    what school is it and is the legacy in your immediate family? i know quite a bit on this topic but it changes on different schools (i have a legacy as well).

5. tinman831

tinman831 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Administrator Dentist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    The idea is to have your family member spread your name around. The family member can say that they have a brother/sister thats currently applying to the dental school. Make sure that they say POSITIVE things about you, not like telling the faculty stories about how you wet the bed as a child. This can only give you an advantage during the interview process. When I interviewed, one person had a brother already in the dental program. It seemed like most of the faculty had already heard of the applicant through the brother. During the tour, this applicant and I were taking a look around. An interviewer approached us and said, "hey! you must be so and so's brother." I had to introduce myself to him. :mad: So if you do have a family member thats in dental school or a graduate, seems smart to use them. It would probably work better if the family member was in school still. :)

6. EyeAmCommi

EyeAmCommi Los Angeles Smog
    7+ Year Member

Don't you just have to list your relative on your AADSAS application and the school that they went to? Can't the d-schools use that to grant you a "free" interview? I don't really think your parents or what not has to spread your name around like gossip...or do they? :scared:

7. etan4

etan4 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

It really does help when you have a brother/sister that is currently in the dental program you are looking to get in. My sister, for example, is a D4 at the school I will be interviewing at - the Director of Admissions and most of the staff know me through my sister. It will most likely make the interview day less stressful. YES, if you do have a relative in school, have them talk about you!

8. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    dad-oral surgeon
    uncle-orthodontist
    uncle-endodontist

does it help? Only id they are willing to call a school for you...all alumni of Lincoln Nebraska.

Did they? No. They said you can get in by yourself. Does it bother me? No. I can get in all by myself...I hope.

9. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Don't take me wrong, they are far from being jerks, they have actually been an invaluable resource to me as I have taken the path to application, and since they have made every mistake in the book, they will prove to be more invaluable as I set up a practice.

10. bpenly

bpenly Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Why didn't you apply to Lincoln?

11. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Stan Harn told me I was a long shot when i applied there last year! Go figure :rolleyes:
    It's all good, have you ever been to Lincoln? :D
    It would have been good and inexpensive though.

12. polarnut

polarnut Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

there is a word for occasions like this.....oh yeah. CHEATING.

13. adr12

adr12 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Many of the supplementals I filled out asked if anyone in your immediate family was a graduate of the Denal School. This seems to be a good place to put down your "legacy". I don't have one, but would have put one down if I did. May not help, but it definitely wouldn't hurt.

14. LadyxJC

LadyxJC Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I remember at one of my first interviews, a fellow interviewee was greeted with a hug by her interviewer as they walked away discussing how she had been her father's professor. I must have had a worried look on my face because one of the 4th year students there came over to tell me "don't worry, I wasn't greeted with a hug either when I came for an interview"... :D

15. duh?

duh? Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hypothetical situation:
    Don't go to any of you classes, have a GPA of say, 2.11 and DATs 12/12/12. Now let all you forebearers from the establishment of the earth jump out of their graves holding loud speakers and their alumni pins. Let them sing your praises and parade themselves about your school like the Israelites trying to break down the walls of Jericho. Now let me see how that gets you an acceptance. :laugh:
    Moral of the story: If you've done well enough in school that your 'Legacy card' won't be ashamed to put in a good word, you've probably done well enough to merit an interview or acceptance without their help. The application has a section for that and if it matters to the school, they'll check it out.

Don't people feel at least uncomfortable with trying 'other' means to get acceptances? You'd probably walk around the rest of your life thinking, "would I be here without uncle Jack?"

And just incase you're wondering, my dad and Uncle are dentists (OMFS and Ortho respectively) so it's not like i'm trying to be mean cos i don't have 'legacy cards' too. :D

Relax people, soon enough all this admission stress will be over and we'll be focusing on doing well in D-school. Good luck y'all! :luck:

16. Gargamel

Gargamel Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Maybe this is why I’m not an Adcom. But if a whole bunch of dead people jumped out of there graves with loud speakers and were petitioning me to admit a certain person. I think I would probably give them serious consideration. But that’s just me… :laugh:

17. duh?

duh? Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    LOL! :laugh: I went back and re-read that, HILARIOUS! I love how I make myself laugh! I sure post some crazy things huh? lol.

18. Unemployed

Unemployed Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

So, which one is pulling in the big bucks and living the American Dream?

I would love to be you on Christmas morning :laugh:

19. DentalNerd

DentalNerd Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    The "Legacy Card" is built into the AADSAS application where you list your relatives in the dental field. In addition, I would include names, etc. in all secondaries where appropriate. For instance, most schools require an essay titled "why I choose (enter school) for my dental education". This is the appropriate place to drop names, etc. You can also mention them in your thank you cards and emails. Of course, if your relatives know any of the adcom members, then by all means, have them talk about you. Every little bit helps.

This is coming from someone with NO "legacy card" but I would use it if I could.

20. acceptance

acceptance Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Some days I think, "Wow, its great to be in America, where you can be what ever you want to be. Just because you were born into bad conditions doesn't mean you have to stay there." Then, other days, I look at the kind of people they are interviewing at Pacific just because of their daddy and I think "Damn, America is a modern day aristocracy. Nobody cares what you know, just who you know"

I know this statement is a little exaggerated and I am biased towards the underdog, but seriously, I wish the "legacy card" was not an issue. If your dad is a dentist, Great! Have him tell you how to prepare for dental school and you'll do fine on your own merit.

I guess life just isn't fair. WHO KNEW?

21. wannabedr

wannabedr Member
    5+ Year Member

LOL...........I'm dying to know to..........do tell.

22. mountainman6789

mountainman6789 Membership Revoked
    Removed

MY father is an oral surgeon - An MD/DDS. I know that he called some places for me since my GPA is only 2.6. I still scored a 19 on the DAT however so I earned it. Anyway, I told every interviewer who my dad was. I didnt care one bit. I just got my acceptance letter today so it worked.

23. Kremlar

Kremlar Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I have a legacy card as well, I mean, I played it somewhat by listing it on my application, the question asked list any family in the field, so I answered the question, but thats as far as I went. I have busted my butt throughout my undergrad to get good grades, so if I get in, I earned it. lthough it would have been nice to have someone make some calls for me, I didnt ask. I guess play it how you see fit, the bottom line is, he got accepted, thats what he wanted, thats what he got, he pursued that goal with other avenues, and it worked... So congrats....

24. mountainman6789

mountainman6789 Membership Revoked
    Removed

GOD BLESS YOU!

Finally someone with eyes here. I hope this guy gets in and no one else on here.

25. Legacy

Legacy DbagFolkGuitarMajor4Life
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I feel like the Cadillac of village bicycles. :(

26. iambatman

iambatman Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

This thread makes me SICK...

...You ALL should be ashamed!

27. Legacy

Legacy DbagFolkGuitarMajor4Life
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    "Zeal should not outrun discretion." ~ Aesop, from the Fable of the Thirsty Pigeon

(If I were a dental school's Dean of Admissions and could hunt down the IP's and identities of posters in this thread to make my job easier, then I would of course consider the above quote null and void. ;) )