legality of drug sample distribution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rbnsafsadgf

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a question abou drug samples that may be a sign of my confusion, more than anything else.

When a drug rep gives samples to a Doctor, why is in legal for them to distribute drugs? For example, if my mom tried to get rx and then distribute them, that would be illegal, I presume.

Do drug reps act under the "supervision" of a pharmacist?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I have a question abou drug samples that may be a sign of my confusion, more than anything else.

When a drug rep gives samples to a Doctor, why is in legal for them to distribute drugs? For example, if my mom tried to get rx and then distribute them, that would be illegal, I presume.

Do drug reps act under the "supervision" of a pharmacist?

They act under the supervision of the Federal Government. They are responsible for reporting everything they give. The wild days of giving samples to pharmacists is over......

It's all monitored by the DEA. Everything is in writing, how many samples, when received, date, who they gave them to etc. Also, it's legal because they are doctor's and have a DEA #, your mom does not. Hence its illegal for her to do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's all monitored by the DEA. Everything is in writing, how many samples, when received, date, who they gave them to etc. Also, it's legal because they are doctor's and have a DEA #, your mom does not.

Do the (non MD) drug reps have DEA numbers?

From above info, it seems like one could track what happens to the drugs from the doctor transfer onward, but what about the pre-transfer to the doctor?

Thanks for the replies! Sorry if this is an odd-ball question, but it's been bugging me for a bit.

Nope. Drug reps do not have DEA #s. Hence they cannot distribute drug samples to patients, family members, etc. What they do have is coupons that they give out.

Pre-transfer to doctor (from drug rep to doctor) is logged also.

Do doctors have to have DEA numbers to receive non-controlled substances. I would think not, but reading the posts it sounds like that. I know in KY there is no such thing as controlled samples, I don't know about other states. If that is true for other states, why would the DEA be involved????

To the OP, I think that it distrubution of samples is in the medical practice acts of most states.

To the OP, I think that it distrubution of samples is in the medical practice acts of most states.

This is a federal law. During the 70's drug reps would sell the samples to pharmacies at 50% off AWP. There may be state laws as well but the control here is federal. Samples can only be left with physicians. Reps have to account for what they give down to the pill......

The Prescription Drug Marketing Act of 1987