Legalized Sight Testing, Online Order of CLs, Mandatory PD with Rx, etc. in BC

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I get what you say, but if no one needs a "valid Rx" to buy CLs (and glasses?), can ANYONE refract? Or only the three Os can refract, but you can still order whatever Rx you want?

I guess if you really want to play the grey zone, you can probably have anyone "refract", then write the Rx on a post-it, then ask the Customer to just get that? It's really shady here in BC! :(
And its' really cool to see how we little we get paid from the government. Under 19 and over 65 y/o, Government pays $46.17 for a complete eye exam. In Alberta (neighboring province), they easily get 30 dollars more for an exam.

We had patients yell on top of their lungs when we charge them for a co-pay for seniors. Those who are between 19-65 are not covered at all, so what they do is bug the heck out of their PCP to write them a referral letter to see an OMD. That way they get everything for free.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
We had patients yell on top of their lungs when we charge them for a co-pay for seniors. Those who are between 19-65 are not covered at all, so what they do is bug the heck out of their PCP to write them a referral letter to see an OMD. That way they get everything for free.[/QUOTE]

Aahhhh, my favorite word when it comes to socialized health care...FREE!!!!! Is it really free? Since you are Canadian you know much better than I. Nothing is free, especially when you are the person that has put forth so much effort and laid so much risk on the line in order to try and be successful, only to watch those that feel "entitled" scream at the top of their lungs when it isn't FREE, FREE, FREE!!!! I feel for you in BC. Selling taquitos on the beach is looking better every day, as long as I have enough at 5:00 for a six pack of Corona and a lime. That is all I will need as everything else is FREE!!!!!:smuggrin:

We had patients yell on top of their lungs when we charge them for a co-pay for seniors. Those who are between 19-65 are not covered at all, so what they do is bug the heck out of their PCP to write them a referral letter to see an OMD. That way they get everything for free.

Aahhhh, my favorite word when it comes to socialized health care...FREE!!!!! Is it really free? Since you are Canadian you know much better than I. Nothing is free, especially when you are the person that has put forth so much effort and laid so much risk on the line in order to try and be successful, only to watch those that feel "entitled" scream at the top of their lungs when it isn't FREE, FREE, FREE!!!! I feel for you in BC. Selling taquitos on the beach is looking better every day, as long as I have enough at 5:00 for a six pack of Corona and a lime. That is all I will need as everything else is FREE!!!!!:smuggrin:

That's the thing with BC health care; the working class people pay a lot of taxes and premiums for health care. Those who are very rich overseas but does not have a job in BC will be declared " Low income or income assistance", they get free health care, eye exam, glasses, subsidized Chiro/physio/Massage Therapy etc. We always see patient coming in wanting free eye exam and free glasses because they are on "low income", but of course, they hold like Mercedes or BMW keychains, brand name jeans, Chanel Purse etc.

It's totally different world when compared to my externship sites in the US.