legally binding?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LapisLazuli

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just got into a pharm school, but its out of state for me, so I'm waiting for my state school's decision, which I know is going to come much later. Does anyone know about the legalities of accepting an admissions offer and sending in the check, only to pull back later if you change your mind and want to go to another school which accepts you? I know the check is nonrefundable, but is my acceptance of admission legally binding?

Do pharm schools monitor each other to make sure if you've accepted an offer at one place you can't accept anywhere else?
Or is it like med schools, where you can accept multiple admissions and then renege on all except the one you really want later?

If anyone can fill me in, would really appreciate it. Don't want to do anything stupid at this point...

Members don't see this ad.

:scared: i sent in a deposit to a school yesterday as a "back-up", but I am bent on getting accepted (and going to) my state school. I would appreciate someone filling me in on the legalities of the situation as well....

As far as I know it's not legally binding (at least not for regular admissions) and I don't think it would be a bad move on your part. Most people don't know about their choice school until after they've received acceptance from other schools. I believe at one of my interviews they encouraged students to inform the admissions office if they wished to withdraw their acceptance to go to another school, so that someone else can be given a chance to have your seat as soon as possible. I don't think any of the pharmacy schools have a way to keep track of who you have taken an acceptance from. One school I heard from only gave me 10 days to send my check to secure my spot and I didnt want to run the risk of not doing it and then end up not getting in anywhere else.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should be fine. The schools will usually take your money, but some will even give back all or part of your deposit if you notify them early enough. You're not "required" to go anywhere. Even if you accept a school, you're still free to drop out anytime. The only schools that I would think might "see" your deposit elsewhere are MWU (CPG can see that you have a deposit at CCP) and maybe some from the UofC system, but I'm certainly not an expert.

*phew*... good news. Thanks guys!

Originally posted by LapisLazuli
Hey everyone,

Just got into a pharm school, but its out of state for me, so I'm waiting for my state school's decision, which I know is going to come much later. Does anyone know about the legalities of accepting an admissions offer and sending in the check, only to pull back later if you change your mind and want to go to another school which accepts you? I know the check is nonrefundable, but is my acceptance of admission legally binding?

Do pharm schools monitor each other to make sure if you've accepted an offer at one place you can't accept anywhere else?
Or is it like med schools, where you can accept multiple admissions and then renege on all except the one you really want later?

If anyone can fill me in, would really appreciate it. Don't want to do anything stupid at this point...

it has nothing to do with legal aspects. It has to do with ethics. let me justify why it okay to dump one pharmacy school acceptance offer for another or apply one school as a back up. The stress from the application process and the endless calls to the admission secretary will justify your right to make the pharmacy school panic in finding a student from their waitlist to fill the empty spot or else loose $100k. So, you can actually dump the acceptance offer till the first day of classes. It is your choice and you are ethically okay. I hope this makes you ?double? happy (not illegal and not unethical).

You're right, this is a total non-issue for me ethically.

My question was more oriented towards whether or not the school I'm waiting on can find out I already accepted an offer somewhere else. But from what you guys are saying, thats pretty much unlikely, so I'll just relax for now. Thanks again.

I think schools expect some students to have offers of acceptance to more than one school. As long as you are not worried about the losing the deposit, I think you are a-ok! :)