Length of Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpOrTsChIc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I know the instructions for the personal statement on the Pharmcas website say that you are limited to 4500 characters, including spaces. I just finished mine last night and I only ended up with about 2400 characters (about 2/3 a page long; 3 paragraphs). I feel my essay is very good though, it covers everything that I wanted to cover, and is also short and to the point. I feel like if I would write any more I would just be repeating myself. Well, I just wondered if most of you guys that have written your personal statements wrote shorter essays or longer ones.

Members don't see this ad.

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My suggestion would be to have people critique it. Get the input of others before submitting it. Perhaps after that you'll have more to add. There is a link in the FAQ of SDNers who are willing to critique personal statements.

b*rizzle

Master of Useless Info
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
SpOrTsChIc said:
Hey everybody,
I know the instructions for the personal statement on the Pharmcas website say that you are limited to 4500 characters, including spaces. I just finished mine last night and I only ended up with about 2400 characters (about 2/3 a page long; 3 paragraphs). I feel my essay is very good though, it covers everything that I wanted to cover, and is also short and to the point. I feel like if I would write any more I would just be repeating myself. Well, I just wondered if most of you guys that have written your personal statements wrote shorter essays or longer ones.

Mine was 4500 exactly. I had a lot to say :p but I also had about four people critique it and go over it with a fine-toothed comb. I felt that it couldn't get anymore done than that.