length of personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snooper92

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, we are definitely limited to 4500 characters (including spaces)?

Members don't see this ad.

Yup. AADSAS won't let you submit it unless it's 4500 or less.

Members don't see this ad :)
That really stinks.

So, the way I did it...I typed my statement in Microsoft Word and then did the Word Count and it came up to 5,213...

Is this the way you guys count the characters?

NO. 5,200 words it probably like 20000 characters; they don't have time to read 6 pages essays all the time. It's about 1 page single spaced...

I think he meant in Word Count he has that many characters. Surely he did not write a 20 page personal statement. I do agree that 4500 characters is short and that you would like to write more, but consider all the statements they have to read. That would be very time consuming. If you're not doing this already, SINGLE SPACE your sentences, unlike what I am doing right now.

I think he meant in Word Count he has that many characters. Surely he did not write a 20 page personal statement. I do agree that 4500 characters is short and that you would like to write more, but consider all the statements they have to read. That would be very time consuming. If you're not doing this already, SINGLE SPACE your sentences, unlike what I am doing right now.

do you really think they read them all??:rolleyes:

You can consider having one space after each period. That helps a little.
They do read the personal statement. The application itself only presents the numbers you have, which doesn't tell everything about YOU. During my interviews, all my interviewers asked me questions based on my personal statement. Good luck.

The limit is 4,500 CHARACTERS WITH SPACES. Word count has nothing to do with it. You could fill your essay with all spaces and hit that limit.