Length of Personal Statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobA

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The idea that a personal statement should be no longer than 1 page is commonly tossed around like gospel. I can see how that'd be true for something like radiology or ED, but is it also true for psych?

I've a well-written personal statement with plenty to say (years of experience in psych prior to med school, exp in med school, etc), but my problem is that it's 2.5 pages long. I think I can get it down to 2 pages, but do I have to go shorter than that?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

2.5 pages really is too long. Mine was about 1.5 pages and that was probably pushing the limits of acceptability for length.

My advice? If you have someone in your life who is a great writer (or a great editor), have them look at your PS and help you trim it down to make it more concise, so that you are conveying the same ideas and message in about 50% of the space. Good luck!

The idea that a personal statement should be no longer than 1 page is commonly tossed around like gospel. I can see how that'd be true for something like radiology or ED, but is it also true for psych?

I've a well-written personal statement with plenty to say (years of experience in psych prior to med school, exp in med school, etc), but my problem is that it's 2.5 pages long. I think I can get it down to 2 pages, but do I have to go shorter than that?

Thanks!

Anything more than 3.5 paragraphs is a waste of my time--and I only read 2-4 apps a week during interview season.
No PD screening dozens, even hundreds, of apps is going to read more than that. Sorry to sound harsh, but more than a page and it simply WILL NOT BE READ.

Make it sharp and concise.

See post #7 in this thread in mentoring forum.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Just get it down to a page. You can do this easily by prioritizing which experiences you feel are the most important to convey in a one-page essay.

Nobody is going to read it carefully if it is longer than a page. Keep in mind that we have to read lots of these things.

-AT.

Thanks!

Hey,

I had the same problem. I wrote 2 drafts that were over 2 pages. I was really happy about the writing, but I had to take a hard look at the length and change my thinking.

I'm taking the attitude that this is not my chance to write my masterpiece. Its to be a short tour of the strongest points. Short paragraphs: make the point, and then move on to the next. If anyone actually read it and is interested in something, they can ask all about it at the interview.

Now I have a tight one-pager that moves quick, says what I want to say, but doesn't belabor the points or get bogged down.

I think the readers will thankfully appreciate this approach.

Just my two cents, of course. I'm just an applicant too.

bth

Thanks for all the good advice!

How many applicants do you think the PD has to screen? and read all those PS? You better not put them to sleep after the first 2 paragraphs.. make it short and good.. sell yourself...Sell yourself immediately and dont waste their time... they might not even get to the end of the first page.

How many applicants do you think the PD has to screen? and read all those PS? You better not put them to sleep after the first 2 paragraphs.. make it short and good.. sell yourself...Sell yourself immediately and dont waste their time... they might not even get to the end of the first page.
Remember that a large chunk of the application/interview process is demonstrating the degree to which you are not going to be a pain in the arse as a resident. A too-long PS doesn't help your case in that regard.

Remember that a large chunk of the application/interview process is demonstrating the degree to which you are not going to be a pain in the arse as a resident. A too-long PS doesn't help your case in that regard.

It may also mean that the attendings will be tortured with sifting through obtuse H&P's and progress notes that end up reading like a personal manifesto. :rolleyes:

Ok, I'm confused. My advisor, two attendings, a resident, the Dean who writes our letters, AND one program director have all instructed those of us applying in psych at my school to write no less than a page and a half. I gave my PS to various attendings and they've all said not to cut anything. It's about 1.75 pages right now. I'm working to shorten it and will do the best I can. But--I am a non-traditional applicant and have some things I need to explain in the PS. I've also been told not to leave a single thing out of my CV. For people with long CVs, a shortened PS is going to leave a lot of things needing explanation. That means our interviews will be spent clearing up matters I would think can be more succinctly explained in the PS.

Are there program directors who would decide NOT to interview an applicant purely on the basis of their PS exceeding one page? If they are enjoying reading it, would they stop at one page just on principle? I don't really expect people to read my PS just because it's THERE--I would hope any reader only reads it because it starts out interesting and stays that way. I also wouldn't care if someone only skimmed it if that's their preference. But I'd hate to be blackballed because I didn't meet some unknown arbitrary rule of length. I'm not talking 3 pages, I'm talking less than 2. (And most of the sentences don't start with "I".) I would really appreciate anyone's advice. Thanks!

Last edited:
Also, what font, margins and point size are people talking about?

Ok, I'm confused. My advisor, two attendings, a resident, the Dean who writes our letters, AND one program director have all instructed those of us applying in psych at my school to write no less than a page and a half. I gave my PS to various attendings and they've all said not to cut anything. It's about 1.75 pages right now. I'm working to shorten it and will do the best I can. But--I am a non-traditional applicant and have some things I need to explain in the PS. I've also been told not to leave a single thing out of my CV. For people with long CVs, a shortened PS is going to leave a lot of things needing explanation. That means our interviews will be spent clearing up matters I would think can be more succinctly explained in the PS.

Are there program directors who would decide NOT to interview an applicant purely on the basis of their PS exceeding one page? If they are enjoying reading it, would they stop at one page just on principle? I don't really expect people to read my PS just because it's THERE--I would hope any reader only reads it because it starts out interesting and stays that way. I also wouldn't care if someone only skimmed it if that's their preference. But I'd hate to be blackballed because I didn't meet some unknown arbitrary rule of length. I'm not talking 3 pages, I'm talking less than 2. (And most of the sentences don't start with "I".) I would really appreciate anyone's advice. Thanks!

What are they telling you to write? This isn't a summary of your "life so far". It shouldn't explain or elaborate on things obvious from your CV/application "basics". In my mind it needs to introduce you briefly to the interviewer. What I really want to know is why this applicant is choosing psychiatry and whether they are the kind of person who will like being in our program. To me, anything more than that is trying to over-justify oneself.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are they telling you to write? This isn't a summary of your "life so far". It shouldn't explain or elaborate on things obvious from your CV/application "basics". In my mind it needs to introduce you briefly to the interviewer. What I really want to know is why this applicant is choosing psychiatry and whether they are the kind of person who will like being in our program. To me, anything more than that is trying to over-justify oneself.

Yes - please don't tell me about your life so far. I use the PS to make sure that you have a good grasp of written English (yes, USMGs, I'm talking to you) and can communicate broad concepts ("why I'm applying to psychiatry") in a pithy manner. If you can do that, I don't have to worry as much about facing rambling presentations from you down the line. The chance to answer any questions we might have about your CV will be provided at your interview.

I've been toiling away all day on my PS. I feel like I have so many routes I could go with it. I've currently given a brief anecdote and touched briefly on mental health parity and my interests in research. I don't know if these are buzz words that I should avoid though. I'm thinking about scratching it and starting all over again!!:eek: Fortunately, I have kept it easily to one page!

No one's telling me to write a biography, nor would I want to. However, the advisors I spoke with (all in psych) have said they want it to be interesting and "lyrical" (not a poem, but decent writing). This was clearly distinguished for us by the dean, from, say, the ideal neurosurgery PS, which is a thinly veiled 3-4 paragraph advertisement of oneself. In 3-4 paragraphs, you can't even fit in the obligatory touching anecdote about a patient. Without an anecdote or some other "catchy" opener, you no longer have an "interesting" PS. Also, to write sentences that don't start with "I" also requires a more creative approach, and it was here on this forum that I got the advice not to start more than 8 sentences with "I." So now I am confused. I've worked as a professional editor and I am positive no one can produce a good piece of writing that's 4 paragraphs long AND has an interesting opening unless it is very superficial and all the sentences are arranged in subject-verb-preposition format, which is compact but narcissistic!

I honestly think there must be different opinions among different PDs as to what they want from these things because these views sound so different. I'll have to split the difference, I guess...

I've also been told not to leave a single thing out of my CV. For people with long CVs, a shortened PS is going to leave a lot of things needing explanation. That means our interviews will be spent clearing up matters I would think can be more succinctly explained in the PS.

(snip)

But I'd hate to be blackballed because I didn't meet some unknown arbitrary rule of length. I'm not talking 3 pages, I'm talking less than 2. (And most of the sentences don't start with "I".) I would really appreciate anyone's advice. Thanks!

The one-page rule may be arbitrary, but it is arbitrary and fairly widespread. In other types of settings the one-page rule will hold, for example policy memos and resumes, to name two. I wouldn't necessarily 'blackball' an applicant for having a >1 page PS. But concise and succinct is much, much, much preferred. The purpose of the PS is not to explain everything in your CAF -- in fact, if I'm reading a PS that is basically a prose regurgitation of the CAF, I start to tune out very quickly. The PS is supposed to provide the reader with insight that cannot be gleaned from a quick glance at the CAF.

In any case, folks on SDN can only give you their own perspectives. If the feedback you are getting from your advisors and attendings is that different, then maybe it would be reasonable for you to proceed with a 1.5 page PS. I agree with OldPsychDoc in that a PS >1 page makes me more curious about the applicant in the wrong way (e.g., "why did he write a two-page PS?", "does she really think her life is that interesting?") than anything else.

Cheers
-AT.

The one-page rule may be arbitrary, but it is arbitrary and fairly widespread. In other types of settings the one-page rule will hold, for example policy memos and resumes, to name two. I wouldn't necessarily 'blackball' an applicant for having a >1 page PS. But concise and succinct is much, much, much preferred. The purpose of the PS is not to explain everything in your CAF -- in fact, if I'm reading a PS that is basically a prose regurgitation of the CAF, I start to tune out very quickly. The PS is supposed to provide the reader with insight that cannot be gleaned from a quick glance at the CAF.

In any case, folks on SDN can only give you their own perspectives. If the feedback you are getting from your advisors and attendings is that different, then maybe it would be reasonable for you to proceed with a 1.5 page PS. I agree with OldPsychDoc in that a PS >1 page makes me more curious about the applicant in the wrong way (e.g., "why did he write a two-page PS?", "does she really think her life is that interesting?") than anything else.

Cheers
-AT.

Yeah, I totally understand that and agree. I think we are debating a pretty small difference in length, 1 page vs. 2 pages, not 1 page vs 10 pages. I don't think my life is even twice as interesting as the average applicant. Probably it's only .67 times as interesting, actually. On the other hand, how many good reasons ARE there to go into psychiatry? Let's say there are 10--and these same 10 reasons probably crop up in different variations in every essay. (10 seems very generous--I bet there are only 4 or so good ones!) Then let's say you devote each of your 4 allotted paragraphs to one reason, and totally jettison the touching anecdote paragraph which I believe is a standard requirement of this genre, but anyway. (On a page you probably can't even fit in 4, but let's say you can.) Then you can come up with 10 x 9 x 8 x 7 different versions of the Psychiatry Personal Statement, which equals about 5,000. Oh sure, we can each add flourishes from our own lives to the mix, but really, even those tend to follow patterns. Whereas if you allow two pages, 8 paragraphs, you can combine 10 x 9 x 8 x 7 x 6 x 5 x 4 x 3 reasons, which is closer to 2 million. As I said, I'm guessing 10 reasons to go into psych is an overestimate, too.

The Freida website says there are about 5000 psych residents total. So, about 1000 PGY1s. Let's say there's no surplus of applicants, only 1000 per year. Those 5000 variations on the essay will get used up in 5 years! And since 5000 is a liberal estimate and one paragraph must be devoted to an anecdote, the actual number of essays is much smaller and will probably get used OVER AND OVER each year. This means it is not actually possible to write a unique or catching essay if you stick to the format. So then, what's the point? Why have it at all if it doesn't offer a way for applicants to stand out? What this gets down to is that board scores are probably the only way to stand out, since you multiply the rarity of a high score WITH the high score.

Ok, I realize no one approaches their personal statement in quite this formulaic a manner, but I'm just trying to point out--requiring a one page essay on the subject of why one wants to pursue a career leads to reading a lot of predictable, cliche essays on the topic.

A personal statement it NOT a memo or resume. If no one really likes reading these things enough to allow for some individuality, why not just get rid of it?

Yeah, I totally understand that and agree. I think we are debating a pretty small difference in length, 1 page vs. 2 pages, not 1 page vs 10 pages. I don't think my life is even twice as interesting as the average applicant. Probably it's only .67 times as interesting, actually. On the other hand, how many good reasons ARE there to go into psychiatry? Let's say there are 10--and these same 10 reasons probably crop up in different variations in every essay. (10 seems very generous--I bet there are only 4 or so good ones!) Then let's say you devote each of your 4 allotted paragraphs to one reason, and totally jettison the touching anecdote paragraph which I believe is a standard requirement of this genre, but anyway. (On a page you probably can't even fit in 4, but let's say you can.) Then you can come up with 10 x 9 x 8 x 7 different versions of the Psychiatry Personal Statement, which equals about 5,000. Oh sure, we can each add flourishes from our own lives to the mix, but really, even those tend to follow patterns. Whereas if you allow two pages, 8 paragraphs, you can combine 10 x 9 x 8 x 7 x 6 x 5 x 4 x 3 reasons, which is closer to 2 million. As I said, I'm guessing 10 reasons to go into psych is an overestimate, too.

The Freida website says there are about 5000 psych residents total. So, about 1000 PGY1s. Let's say there's no surplus of applicants, only 1000 per year. Those 5000 variations on the essay will get used up in 5 years! And since 5000 is a liberal estimate and one paragraph must be devoted to an anecdote, the actual number of essays is much smaller and will probably get used OVER AND OVER each year. This means it is not actually possible to write a unique or catching essay if you stick to the format. So then, what's the point? Why have it at all if it doesn't offer a way for applicants to stand out? What this gets down to is that board scores are probably the only way to stand out, since you multiply the rarity of a high score WITH the high score.

Ok, I realize no one approaches their personal statement in quite this formulaic a manner, but I'm just trying to point out--requiring a one page essay on the subject of why one wants to pursue a career leads to reading a lot of predictable, cliche essays on the topic.

A personal statement it NOT a memo or resume. If no one really likes reading these things enough to allow for some individuality, why not just get rid of it?

Whoa . . .

This means it is not actually possible to write a unique or catching essay if you stick to the format. So then, what's the point?

So true.
See here for the funniest essay of all time on this very issue:
"Diary of a hospital application reader"

Actually, I've read a few essays that I've found interesting. Typically they involve a patient narrative (My After School Special) or interesting life experience (as long as it is not Boo Hoo: My Awful Tragedy).

Cheers
-AT.

:thumbup::thumbup:

I repeat.

On your personal statement (just like I said)... sell yourself ....fast and quick.. before the page is tossed back in the file never to be read again till the interview or even never again. Chances are the reader will scan it and wont even go through it all. So make sure you sell yourself (i.e. dont waste their time talking about life (any life), they dont care and will likely not even finish the PS).

Don't talk about anything in more than 1-3 sentences. Make sure to talk about what's good about you and avoid the "story of my life". You are a car and the PD is the buyer. I am not saying be dishonest but if your PS doesn't tell much about the quality of the car then you are wasting their time.

- Why choose psych?
- What is good about you?
- What rotations, skills or training have you had that made you special for psych?
- What do you want to do later in life?

That's a page right there, the rest is likely a waste of time.

So true.
See here for the funniest essay of all time on this very issue:
"Diary of a hospital application reader"

Ha ha ha! The essay is hilarious. But ugh, now I'm in more trouble than ever. One of the things he says about those oh-so-impressive applicants is this:

"None admit to resenting their parents. Not one of them has spent time in prison or dislikes nature."

I confess to EACH of these things in my first 2 paragraphs. During the prison stint I wasn't exactly in the role of prisoner, but still, it counts. Also I don't say a single nice, redemptive thing about a seemingly unpleasant patient. I am thinking now that I might just not apply, now that I realize I am not an adequately standard person. I love his description of the 7 categories of essays though. How many circles were there in Dante's hell again? About 9? I think each essay should correspond to a circle, it's probably that hideous to have to read them all.

Since I'm probably not going to apply now, I think what I'll do instead is open up a business selling modular components of essays which students can purchase and combine in their own unique, meaningful ways, all 5000 of them.

So true.
I'm just remembering (in the days before ERAS) reading a PS that had obviously had "medicine" whited-out and "psychiatry" typed in at several places in the manuscript.

Also hilarious! If it hadn't been whited out, would you have been able to tell?

Wow I'm impressed with all the action this thread's generated. I guess it is that time of year.

For what it's worth, I've decided to stick to 1.5 pages. But it's a well written 1.5 pages with plenty to say.

I'm having a hell of a time completing my PS. It's been obvious to both my attendings and I that psychiatry suits me best. However, I think I'm overthinking during my PS. What is the date I should have set in my mind to have everything complete? Tomorrow the NRMP registration opens. I think schools can download our files on 9/15/08. I'm assuming I should shoot for 9/15/08?

By 1 page, are we talking 1 page double spaced from the printer, or 1 page in the single space font that ERAS uses? Because my 2 page typed essay is 2 page when I type it into ERAS :D

My statement ended up being 614 words, slightly less than one page. I ended up tossing my first one and starting over. I focused mainly on what I want out of my career and the things that interest me. It was such a relief to submit that application!

Hi!

So, I just finished a draft of a personal statement that explains why I like psychiatry, what I care about, and why I'm special. Should ERAS convert it to twelve-point font, it will still be a page long and five short paragraphs. If I had to submit it now, I would sleep well.

However, to make it fit a page, I don't describe what I did in my research year. That is covered rather well in my CV -- and takes up about a quarter of a page in 11 point font (incidentally, my preferred font size). A publication is in the works, reinforcing this sense that I actually accomplished something.

What I'm hearing is that it being 1 page and leaving out my research year is better than it being a page and a half, going into stuff that I find cool and interesting, but which has nothing to do with why anyone should interview or match me into psychiatry.

My fear is that *not* mentioning it will look suspicious.

Would one of you kind souls tell me that I don't have to wrangle some description of my paper into my statement, so I can enjoy the rest of August?

Alas, I found a delightful thread that goes into pretty intense detail on the subject of fonts, margins, and line spacing:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=549543

Who knew you could use Courier 10?? My PS is 1.34 pages in Times New Roman 12, and I was ready to scrap the whole thing. In Courier 10 my meager essay struggles to fill a page.

I've had it read again by various people, and still no one's told me to cut it. I'm also hoping that at least making an effort at quality counts for something? I'm not saying there's anything special about mine, just that I hope this is not JUST a word count game...

....I hope this is not JUST a word count game...

FWIW---that's one number that I never see on the thick packet our program coordinator hands me on interview day.
(However, just between you and me, you really should work on improving your time in the 40-yard dash, and buffing up your batting average against left-handed pitching.) :laugh:

Less is more. 500 words should be enough to set the hook.

- Why choose psych?
- What is good about you?
- What rotations, skills or training have you had that made you special for psych?
- What do you want to do later in life?

That's a page right there, the rest is likely a waste of time.

How important is point #4 from the list above? (ie - what if I don't know exactly what part of psychiatry I want to subspecialize in. I do envision myself working in an academic setting [combining research, teaching, and patient care] but that info doesn't really fit well in the "flow" of my statement. Is it really important for me to find a way to work it in, anyway?)

Also, I am realizing my personal statement is sort of "touchy-feely". (eg -I found that even on my non-psych rotations it was the psychosocial aspects of the cases that I was most interested in, how the patient was coping with their disease, etc.) If I'm all "touchy-feely", is that going to go over poorly at programs that are really into their psychopharm vs. the psychotherapy-type approach?

thanks in advance for your comments.

How important is point #4 from the list above? (ie - what if I don't know exactly what part of psychiatry I want to subspecialize in. I do envision myself working in an academic setting [combining research, teaching, and patient care] but that info doesn't really fit well in the "flow" of my statement. Is it really important for me to find a way to work it in, anyway?)

Also, I am realizing my personal statement is sort of "touchy-feely". (eg -I found that even on my non-psych rotations it was the psychosocial aspects of the cases that I was most interested in, how the patient was coping with their disease, etc.) If I'm all "touchy-feely", is that going to go over poorly at programs that are really into their psychopharm vs. the psychotherapy-type approach?

thanks in advance for your comments.

Yes number 4 is actually important but you are addressing the wrong goal in life. While institutions are interested to know if you want a fellowship (because they want to know if they can recruit you later or even better if they will lose you after third you to a child fellowship), the institutions really would like to know if you are going for a teaching career or not. Private practice vs. teaching. Clearly if you interview at a university program, they will want candidates that want to become teaching attendants and researchers. Community programs want candidates that don't necessarily want a research career or a teaching career because they are not tailered towards it so much.

I am not saying a university program will not accept a person wanting private practice or that a community program will not taking a wanna be teaching attending/researcher attending, but I am saying that they will definitely consider it. So your personal statement will could heavily or lightly alienate one set of institutions and likewise bring you closer heavily or lightly to another set of institutions.

Putting down unsure is the safest thing though if you are sure you are being dishonest.

As for psychotherapy vs psychopharm.... i would avoid talking about this. Why risk being opinionated. What if the only attending that read the personal statement was a psychopharm guy and the other attendings who didnt have time to read it are all psychotherapy leaning? I wouldn't do it. Leave that to the interview and know whom you are speaking with before you mention an opinion like that... or at least do it delicately.

Faebinder - Thanks for your reply. I didn't explicitly talk about Psychopharm vs. Psychotherapy. But I talked abouut how on the non-psych rotations it was the person's mental health that I was most interested in. (ie - they were dealing with some really tough diseases, etc. and we were taking care of that, but no-one seemed very concerned about how this might be affecting their mental health / life...) Also I mentioned that when we had Psych patients on non-Psych rotations I actually thought their Psych issue was the more critical issue in their case - because if we helped them with that they'd likely be able take better care of themselves (physical ailment). And then I talk about how I'm good at connecting with / understanding people and while ideally we'd hope all doctors are good at that, in Psych is it CRITICAL. I also said I enjoyed how in Psych I really got to know my patients on a more personal level, and again I thought this was actually important to their case vs. just a "luxury" in some specialties.

I don't know much about hard-core psychopharm types, but it occurred to me that maybe they are more interested in just cataloging symptoms & then handing out pills vs. knowing the story behind those symptoms. (ie - "yup, 5 depressive symptoms, here's your SSRI" vs. "considering your brother is dying of cancer, your company is downsizing & you're worried about your job, and you think your teenage kid might be on drugs, NO WONDER you have 5 depressive symptoms. (So here's your SSRI...) ;)

So is it ok to be "touchy-feely" without explicitly mentioning psychopharm/psychotherapy? (Which I didn't, I just got to thinking that maybe hardcore biologically-oriented people would be gagging over all the "touchy-feely" stuff.)
(Then again, if the people at a program don't actually CARE that much about their patients, maybe I wouldn't want to go there anyway...)
(I'm pretty happy with my essay right now, but if I get rid of the "touchy-feely" stuff, I'm going to have to pretty much start over from scratch...)

And another question about the research/teaching career thing. Do you think putting it in (or leaving it out) will really influence whether or not I get an interview at a given program? (I kind of assumed this is the sort of topic that will come up during an interview & I can talk about it then?) Medicine is actually sort of a "second career" for me, I have extensive research from before med school which all shows up in my application, so I'm assuming they should already get the "vibe" that I'm research-oriented?

Thanks again for your help!
(Opinions from others are welcome, too.)