Length of Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused2626

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious how long personal statements should be. I know AMCAS puts a limit of 5000 or so characters. I have also read previous posts saying something like 1 page.

I just wrote my personal statement, and its 4500 characters (within the requirements), but this amounts to 1.5 pages single spaced. I guess I'd rather not shorten it if I don't have to. Do you guys thing that as long as its within the 5300 character limit it should be fine, or should I really try and shorten it?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I barely made mine fit. Some interviewers even said it was longer than most they had read.

Congrats on finishing your personal statement so early in the game! If I were you, though, I would take that 4500-character PS, hide it under your bed for a month, and then revisit it with fresh eyes. I finished my original personal statement around this time last year but the one I submitted to AMCAS was totally different. I think I have about three separate personal statements still stored on my laptop.

Best of luck!