Let me know...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnudgeMuffin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there interested in surgery, do you guys know which medical schools are really good at placing their students into surgery residency programs??? I tried to find some sort of a ranking, but miserably failed. I also tried looking at the match results from couple schools, but I have no way of knowing what is good or bad (Is it the number of students who gets into the programs?) Just confused. This might help me alot with narrowing down my list. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that it's pretty easy to match with a residency program in general surgery. In fact, about 7% of the general surgery residency positions go unfilled each year. The hard part is actually completing the residency, not getting in. Of course, as with any residency program, some programs are more selective than others. If you're interested in a particular program, you might look at that program's web site and view the profiles of their residents.

I'd imagine that a medical school's placement rate into surgery residency programs is highly correlated with placement into residency programs in general. Most schools publish stats on the % of students that match with their first choice. But bear in mind that students from more prestigious schools tend to apply to more prestigious residency programs, which distorts the numbers a bit.

You might search through the Allopathic forum for more information on this topic.