Let me vent for a second...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor_Strange

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sent in my secondaries to all three VCOMs back in early July and found out yesterday through a 2nd year calling me that they never received my application????? I called today and was told oh the system sometimes doesn't receive all of them--seriously? What complete BS. The entire trajectory of my application season could have changed and I could have saved thousands of dollars from flying to other schools since VCOM was a good fit for me. My friend said well if they are that bad at even reviewing applicants would you really want to go there lol. I'll be fine having been admitted to LECOM, but this is so unprofessional--to other applicants who have heard nothing from VCOM, give them a call.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Woah. This makes sense. I sent in my primary in early June and never heard back from any of the VCOMs for secondaries although I was well above the cut offs/screening. That's bs

Reactions: 4 users
+1 never heard a single word from the VCOMs, and i was also stupid enough to send my app to all three in AACOMAS and didnt know you can apply to all three just by sending one lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 never heard a single word from the VCOMs, and i was also stupid enough to send my app to all three in AACOMAS and didnt know you can apply to all three just by sending one lol

lol I did the same exact thing. I was told by a current student to contact them if I hadn't heard anything, but with an acceptance at this point, plus with it being mid Dec. I'm not gonna bother.

Haven't gone through the app process yet (will be applying this next cycle.) So asking questions to inform myself.

Do schools confirm when they receive your secondaries? Like VCOM said we got it, but really they didn't?
Do they confirm primaries?

lol I did the same exact thing. I was told by a current student to contact them if I hadn't heard anything, but with an acceptance at this point, plus with it being mid Dec. I'm not gonna bother.

Haha thats exactly how i feel

Haven't gone through the app process yet (will be applying this next cycle.) So asking questions to inform myself.

Do schools confirm when they receive your secondaries? Like VCOM said we got it, but really they didn't?

For VCOM, the admissions person I spoke today gave me a confusing answer: she first said they don't send a confirmation that your secondary is received, and then moments later said they do. I just received mine saying I am now officially under review. So basically aside from VCOM, all other schools I applied to at least have acknowledged receiving my secondary. I know people who go to this school so I try not to bash or s**t on schools but VCOM really takes the cake for this.

As for primaries, as far as I remember it varies, but generally it won't matter because they will send you a secondary soon thereafter (so yeah they got your primary) or will reject you soon thereafter. Primaries are more automatic so I wouldn't worry about that when the time comes.

Secondaries are school specific, and schools will notify you via email that they recieved your secondary and your app is "complete", then the waiting game begins.

Some schools confirm primaries. Most schools will just send you information about the secondary steps once they get your confirmed primary app.

For VCOM, the admissions person I spoke today gave me a confusing answer: she first said they don't send a confirmation that your secondary is received, and then moments later said they do. I just received mine saying I am now officially under review. So basically aside from VCOM, all other schools I applied to at least have acknowledged receiving my secondary.

Lol for a school hellbent on mandatory attendance, they sure slept on this one...

So if you get an ii, you'll decline or what? I'm curious, seeing that you have LECOM and know people at VCOM.

Reactions: 1 users
Woah. This makes sense. I sent in my primary in early June and never heard back from any of the VCOMs for secondaries although I was well above the cut offs/screening. That's bs

Ugh me too! I sent my primary in like September and just assumed maybe I didn't make the cutoff? I just emailed them to see what's up so I'll let you all know how that goes...

Reactions: 1 user
Ugh me too! I sent my primary in like September and just assumed maybe I didn't make the cutoff? I just emailed them to see what's up so I'll let you all know how that goes...

The worst part is paying for 3 VCOM school primaries only to now - 5 months later - realize that they never processed your app. Lovely.

Members don't see this ad :)
The worst part is paying for 3 VCOM school primaries only to now - 5 months later - realize that they never processed your app. Lovely.

Don't worry I did it too It's only been 3 months for me but still... also if you only have to pay one primary fee and can apply to all three they should really only have one listing on the primary...

Thankfully I have one acceptance that I'm content wih!

Don't worry I did it too It's only been 3 months for me but still... also if you only have to pay one primary fee and can apply to all three they should really only have one listing on the primary...

Thankfully I have one acceptance that I'm content wih!

Exactly how I feel!

Pfft... I have about 10 schools I submitted any number of primary/secondary applications to and I never heard from them again. Oh well!

Reactions: 5 users
Lol for a school hellbent on mandatory attendance, they sure slept on this one...

So if you get an ii, you'll decline or what? I'm curious, seeing that you have LECOM and know people at VCOM.

I completely forgot about mandatory attendance until your comment. If I get an II, I may reach out to my friend who is at VCOM-CC. I went to school in NC, and VCOM did come and visit and at the time I really enjoyed what they had to offer. I mean, I guess I am more upset by the fact I put down my 3k deposite for BCOM because at the time it was the only school to accept me back in August, but I am not even sure VCOM interviewed that early. Ugh, I gotta go workout and de-stress...

Well, since I applied so earlier they gave such applicants a discount so I only paid $25 to apply to all three schools. The admissions rep said she will let the committee know that I did in fact apply so early, but who the hell knows if that will make any difference (probably not...). I'm probably gonna be even more neurotic come time to apply for residencies given this unpleasant experience...

Eh... in a year this will all be a distant memory and you will be in school. Congrats on the acceptance!

The only reason I found out that VCOM-CC decided to interview me was because I checked their portal. I never received a phone call or e-mail. So once you receive your complete e-mail be sure to check the portal weekly or else you might miss it. I called and asked why I wasn't notified of my interview invite and they said "oh we just haven't gotten around to calling everyone yet" this was ~2 weeks after I checked the portal and saw that I had an II.

Now with that being said, their interview day was very impressive and I genuinely liked the school and atmosphere.

After submitting secondary how long you guys wait till you email them and ask for any update. What exactly do you ask in the email?

Yo dudes. I contacted them in ~August, applied around the same time, and they told me my primary was in a second round of screening that could take up to three months.

At this point I'm fairly certain they never got my application. So similar boat to you guys!

Sorry to hear OP, congrats on LECOM! VCOM is missing out ;) Screw em!

Reactions: 3 users

The even better part is that you only have to send in ONE primary application to one VCOM campus. You are considered for all 3 campuses regardless of how many you send in through AACOMAS. You get to rank them in the secondary. I only applied to the VA campus with the primary app but got an invite to Carolinas.

Meh. Screw em. Lecoms better anyway.

I live like an hour from one of the vcoms and have stats that crush their averages (not that that's hard) and applied in August. Got the ii in December. Looked on the school specific thread and folks from all over the country are interviewing with lower stats before me. Wtf?

Like you, I also had to lose a bcom deposit because they couldn't be bothered to interview someone who actually might want to practice medicine in the area. Then I finally do interview there only to be so underwhelmed I didn't even want to bother. Ironically, had they just gotten to me earlier I probably would have attended and cancelled everywhere else. But instead I had to go all over the country and see how much better every other DO school is in comparison.

So yeah, after losing two deposits waiting for them to get their sh** in gear, I think I'll pass on vcoms barely sustained mediocrity.

Feel like you can do better than me vcom? The feelings mutual because I know I can do better than you!

ImageUploadedBySDN1481909254.597118.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
After submitting secondary how long you guys wait till you email them and ask for any update. What exactly do you ask in the email?
I was complete in late August with them, emailed them at the end of Sept. after getting II's from the other DO schools I applied to, and they informed me that going from complete to II could take anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months.

Anyways, I got an II there 2.5 weeks ago to the Carolinas campus, ended up switching to the VA campus, interviewed this Tuesday and got rejected Thursday. It sucks because the school was amazing and I felt that the interview went extremely well.

It was probably the best school that I interviewed at this cycle.

Maybe thats a sign not to go to that school. You can just imagine life as a student. They did you a favor

Meh. Screw em. Lecoms better anyway.

I live like an hour from one of the vcoms and have stats that crush their averages (not that that's hard) and applied in August. Got the ii in December. Looked on the school specific thread and folks from all over the country are interviewing with lower stats before me. Wtf?

Like you, I also had to lose a bcom deposit because they couldn't be bothered to interview someone who actually might want to practice medicine in the area. Then I finally do interview there only to be so underwhelmed I didn't even want to bother. Ironically, had they just gotten to me earlier I probably would have attended and cancelled everywhere else. But instead I had to go all over the country and see how much better every other DO school is in comparison.

So yeah, after losing two deposits waiting for them to get their sh** in gear, I think I'll pass on vcoms barely sustained mediocrity.

Feel like you can do better than me vcom? The feelings mutual because I know I can do better than you!

View attachment 212022

lol very well put

Apply for all three. Did not hear anything since July lol

This explains all silent rejections by and MD/DO school that you send Primary and Secondary apps to.

uTjQk.gif

Pfft... I have about 10 schools I submitted any number of primary/secondary applications to and I never heard from them again. Oh well!
Just 2 for me.

I also only applied to 6 schools.

Damn you PCOM and your 1000000 applicants