LETS MAKE IT CLEAR ABOUT APPLYING TO ACGME RESIDENCY and DOING AOA TRI!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brnfabolous

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/Portals/0/PDFs/CPR_Eligibility.pdf

Please LOOK AT THE REVISION DATE. Revised effective date starting 2015

And Let me tell you about my rationale in my perspective.
I am currently doing AOA internship and ACGME PM&R next year.
According to match statistic(I am sorry for not posting the link), PM&R still had a lot of DOs who matched. (I do not remember the percentage somewhere around 30 percent). So among those many of us will do AOA TRI. so if they implement this revision this year, PM&R specialty will be in trouble. It will be the largest scramble market openings of the decade if that happens.

Let's talk about the common sense. If you want to implement the new rule or revision, you need at least two years.

Advice to this year applicant: just to be safe, apply ACGME internship

Members don't see this ad.

I thought this was already clear. 2015 is the implementation date. In other words people in TRIs right now will be fine going into ACGME residencies next year (i.e. 2014, but future fellowships may be an issue), however, people applying for the 2014 match (TRI and PGY-2 positions) should either be planning to go AOA if they are doing a TRI or do an ACGME internship/prelim year in order to go the ACGME route.

Really this is mainly affecting the people that have to do a TRI to practice as a DO in their state and have trouble getting their state DO association to recognize Res42 (so possibly PA - something that I hope changes very soon).

As for the fellowships, since many surgical subspecialties are independent from the ACGME, it mainly affects the people who go AOA IM and want to subspecialize in an ACGME fellowship.

Last edited:
there are plenty of surgical fellowships requiring ACGME training.

Transplant, vascular, cardiac, surgical oncology, HPB, plastics, hand, pediatric are just a few that come to mind.

Whoever voiced this as a small concern to surgical trainees is incredibly ignorant and likely only interested in a handful of orthopedic fellowships, or another subspecialty training pathway like ENT, or URO fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing more to add on this topic that is deader than a dead horse, but man.... full caps lock in the title.

caps_lock_is_cruise_control_for_cool_t_shirt-r3e59c688eb5b4979ae7935f2adcf266f_8nhma_512.jpg

Transplant, vascular, cardiac, surgical oncology, HPB, plastics, hand, pediatric are just a few that come to mind.

Whoever voiced this as a small concern to surgical trainees is incredibly ignorant and likely only interested in a handful of orthopedic fellowships, or another subspecialty training pathway like ENT, or URO fellowship.

Sure they exist, but how many DOs are getting fellowship appointments to these programs per year? According to last year's NRMP fellowship appointment data, their was a grand total of 34 DOs appointed to surgical specialties (out of a total of 458 DOs appointed to ACGME fellowships). I'm sure it matters to those 34, but that's <7.5% of DO ACGME fellowship appointments (just a hair above the 32 DO ACGME Psych fellowship appointments). You really don't hear anyone talking about how hard Psych is being hit. Both of those are relatively small compared to ~40% (181 DO appointments) of DO ACGME appointments being in IM subspecialties.

Obviously it sucks for everyone out there, but the DOs that are going to be hit the most are those seeking IM or Peds (99 DO ACGME appointments or ~22%) fellowships.

Actually the ONLY fellowships in surgery that are ACGME are: Pediatrics, "advanced oncology", hand surgery, trauma, cardiothoracic, and vascular.

Of those six: most trauma and oncology programs are non-ACGME and half of cardiothoracic. (so really itsjust peds, hand surgery and vascular that are exclusive). These fellowships are independent of the ACGME: 100% of Transplant, about 50% of cardiothoracic, 100% HPB, 100% of colorectal, 100% of plastics (non-integrated), most trauma, most oncology, plus 100% of whatever other fellowships I couldnt think of and look up the ACGME accredited vs non-accredited designation. I actually should have used the NRMP since most matches (ACGME or not) go through there and they make it pretty easy to look up what programs they run through their match algorithm.

i like this,Nothing more to add on this topic that is deader than a dead horse,thanks
kRf6