Let's talk about NYU -

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreaming2k5

Where's the beef?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since it's the only school that have accepted me so far, I'd like to know more about the school if anyone could help me out...

1) How are the facilities compared to University of Florida and Boston University (the only two schools I've visited)? Ie - are there a lot of chairs for all the students? Are the students divved up into groups for different lectures or we have huge classrooms?

2) Does the school help the student get patients? Is it easy?

3) Do a lot of students drop-out, fail, or leave school before the 4 years are up?

4) Is it block testing?

5) How will do NYU students perform in NERB?

Any other thoughts about the school will be great!

Members don't see this ad.

the fact that they have over 200+ students per year, you really can't have enough patients to go around for every single student. Also, I believe they cut the bottom 10% of the class during the first year.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you scroll down the first 2 or 3 pages (u dont need the search thing, just look at the titles) you will find recent comments about NYU. Unfortunately, many times these comments degenerate to "my school is better than yours" arguments. Try to be very open minded when you read them and in the end I hope you can make an independent, unbiased evaluation of the info available. Good luck!

I'll admit that I don't post, but I do read a lot as a guest. I agree with everyone who says that when making a decision one should ignore the oft biased opinions of NYU (or any other school for that matter). I don't know Phremius or anything, but I noticed he comes from a pretty reputable undergrad school (UCLA if I remember correctly) and he still chose NYU because he believed it was the best fit for him. I also believe he mentioned that he turned down some other schools who many perceive to be "better" than NYU in order to do so (and let me tell you, from the interviews that I've been on those UCLA kids don't have problems interviewing and getting into the "best" of the D-schools). So, if I were you, I'd do a thread search for some more of these "what's up with NYU", "What do you think of NYU" questions and even maybe look into who is going there and why they chose it. I guess if money is an issue, if you require more personal instruction, or you are claustrophic in urban environments - maybe it's not for you. My dentist personally (and I know this only from being a patient for such a long time) graduated from Buffalo, but honestly, if he gradded from any other school (including NYU) I would still go and see him.

INFNITE said:
the fact that they have over 200+ students per year, you really can't have enough patients to go around for every single student. Also, I believe they cut the bottom 10% of the class during the first year.

Common misconception...they have plenty of patients to go around. Largest patient pool in the country with over 250,000 patients annually. Thats almost 1,000 patients per day. Of course, you have 3rd years, 4th years, advanced standings, and specialty fields involved, but still...more than enough patients for the students.

Hey quick question for the ones who got an NYU acceptance without an interview... did all of you receive your acceptance through email on Dec.1 and 2 or have they still been coming?

DWade101 said:
Hey quick question for the ones who got an NYU acceptance without an interview... did all of you receive your acceptance through email on Dec.1 and 2 or have they still been coming?

Good question I would like to know this as well :)

from my interview there, seemed like the dental school was pretty crowded. was wondering, with the addition of the nursing program, is it even more crowded than before? do dental and nursing students combine and take some of the same classes? to accept 240 students for a freshman class and with the addition of international students in the 2nd year, they have to drop some students just for the room. thats what i'm thinking. but c'mon, your in d-school...shouldn't be thinking about the drop rate. for patients, i heard that nyu's patient pool is the largest and most diverse than any other school (you're in freakin nyc). patients shouldn't be a problem (atleast i hope not). basically, what i got out of nyu was this: its a huge school.....if you can handle the large class size, you'll be fine (besides you're in nyc....enjoy it). btw, did anyone get accepted into this year's cycle as reapplicants who previously interviewed with nyu? thanks.

i can't answer a lot of your questions cuz i'm only in my 1st yr, but i don't think it's incredibly crowded, as i RARELY see friends from other years. since the dental school is built upwards, w/ only 6 elevators, & many students, staff & patients - that's the only crowdedness that's affecting me - for now, which isn't really a big deal

i haven't visited UF or BU

a few students don't continue onto the next yr of dental school (so i hear), but i have no details - sorry. but there's no set percentage of ppl "made" to leave.

what do u mean by block testing? if i know what u're saying, then i think the answer is "no". we finished biochem a few weeks ago, and since then we've added more classes.

i think we do alright in boards - i'm not sure.

d1's haven't taken courses w/ nursing school thus far
no, nyucd keeps telling us that they won't kick anyone out (for the sole purpose) to make room for the international dentist who come in, in D2. we have different lab sections, so it's not like there isn't bench space for us.

sorry my answers are terse, i really out to be studying for anatomy.

congrats to those who got accepted.
and goodluck to everyone.
i got accepted late, so don't get tooo anxious, it'll come :thumbup:

DWade101 said:

I got my acceptance via email on the 1st~

the school doesn't boot out anyone to "make room". the fail rate for each class is no more or less than the avg for dental schools across the country. It's a very fair system really, if you fail a class you remediate that class over summer and if you can't make it through that then you repeat the year. Only if you fail 4 or more are you in trouble. Plus there's some academic help department here that gets on your case if you fail exams to see if you need help/tutoring or etc... passing is not hard at all if you have a modicum of skill. I think the year before ours had ~5 who "didn't make it".

there's plenty of room for everyone. Yeah the classes are big, but trust me, still not big enough where you can't get the gossip on everyone. :laugh:

oh yeah, people dress really nicely for class, esp the girls, some of them come o lecture like it's a club w/ all 'em nice boots and stuff. Very pleasant on the meyes.

we have a pretty decent transcription service for every lecture, so you can never come to class and do just fine (and believe me, there are innumerable colleagues that I never see except during exams/labs)

there are scholarships, they're awarded on a merit-basis and are partial or full.

the classes aren't blocked or whatever, some are longer than others, the exam schedules are actually very manageable and pretty decently spaced out.

oh yeah, did I mention the school pays for a ****load of parties (open bar) at swanky places?

lots of indians (the brown kind), not that many eskimos.

Bottom line: there is no such thing as the school failing out people due to lack of space or clinical chairs or etc. We even had an email from administration addressing this issue laying it to rest. Let's stop raising this stupid dipshi*t topic.

god I feel like I explain the same **** day-in-day out to you pre-dents, can't y'all just figure **** out for yourself and make your own damn decisions about the school?

here's a brief synopsis of a typical day:

7:05 - alarm goes off, stay in bed, check emails, check schedule, decide that the 8 o'clock class isn't worth it. goes back to sleep.
9:00 - ****! this class takes attendance, ahh **** it, doesn't count for much anyways, check emails, read ESPN.com, look for boobies pictures on community webshots
9:20 - shower, fix breakfast, read SI.com, damn, Bills still sucking.
9:45 - start walking to school, ooh, that chick's hot, I'd bone her, let me look at her, damn, won't make eye contact, damn her, oh well, she's probably fat under all the bundles and layers. "would I do a fat chick? probably not... but then again, they need loving too".
9:50 - oop, at school already, damn elevator.
9:55 - stand around waiting for elevator. ooooh, she got nice heels, oooh she got nice legs, oooh she got a nice face, oooh she got a nice... oh wait, that's a guy.
10:02 - eh, not too late. sit down, turn on lap top, log in online... log into AIM, join class chatroom, make random penis comment, make random vagina comment, wonder at all the people frantically typing notes, "maybe I should take notes too..... nah, gotta check ESPN.com, maybe they updated their Page 2 articles"
11:00 - eh, lame classes coming up, lunch time!
12:00 - gotta go to the gym, must pump iron because pumping iron is manly, must be manly.... don't want to settle for fat chicks.
12:30 - damn... this guy is sweaty, damn, this guy's buff... damn, this guy benches way more than me... Ah HA! I can take this guy on! I feel manly. I can leave.
1:00 - class? nap? class? nap? class? nap? Eh, I'd rather be well rested and ignorant than tired and knowledgeable... er wait....
3:00 - wake up from nap
3:30 - anatomy lab. God this is boring. This speciman smells. I wonder how much money I'd have to pay that girl to lick this mandible....
4:00 - go to library. study study study, or actually, study facebook facebook facebook yahoo sports yahoo sports study get up buy snacks oh **** need to buy present for girlfriend... hmm... lingerie, that's like giving a gift to myself. www.victoriasecret.com.. mmmmmhhmmmm Tyra Banks.... *drool. Wipe drool from keyboard. Pack up
6:00 - dinner, E!, VH1
8:00 - study study study, see previous study entry
11:00 - get in bed, type up asinine responses for douchebag predents, write up asinine log of day, god I'm bored.

I enjoyed that daily schedule. Thats some good stuff. Funny how guys think so similarly.

Members don't see this ad :)
phremius said:
the school doesn't boot out anyone to "make room". the fail rate for each class is no more or less than the avg for dental schools across the country. It's a very fair system really, if you fail a class you remediate that class over summer and if you can't make it through that then you repeat the year. Only if you fail 4 or more are you in trouble. Plus there's some academic help department here that gets on your case if you fail exams to see if you need help/tutoring or etc... passing is not hard at all if you have a modicum of skill. I think the year before ours had ~5 who "didn't make it".

there's plenty of room for everyone. Yeah the classes are big, but trust me, still not big enough where you can't get the gossip on everyone. :laugh:

oh yeah, people dress really nicely for class, esp the girls, some of them come o lecture like it's a club w/ all 'em nice boots and stuff. Very pleasant on the meyes.

we have a pretty decent transcription service for every lecture, so you can never come to class and do just fine (and believe me, there are innumerable colleagues that I never see except during exams/labs)

there are scholarships, they're awarded on a merit-basis and are partial or full.

the classes aren't blocked or whatever, some are longer than others, the exam schedules are actually very manageable and pretty decently spaced out.

oh yeah, did I mention the school pays for a ****load of parties (open bar) at swanky places?

Bottom line: there is no such thing as the school failing out people due to lack of space or clinical chairs or etc. We even had an email from administration addressing this issue laying it to rest. Let's stop raising this stupid dipshi*t topic.

god I feel like I explain the same **** day-in-day out to you pre-dents, can't y'all just figure **** out for yourself and make your own damn decisions about the school?

7:05 - alarm goes off, stay in bed, check emails, check schedule, decide that the 8 o'clock class isn't worth it. goes back to sleep.
9:00 - ****! this class takes attendance, ahh **** it, doesn't count for much anyways, check emails, read ESPN.com, look for boobies pictures on community webshots
9:45 - start walking to school, ooh, that chick's hot, I'd bone her, let me look at her, damn, won't make eye contact, damn her, oh well, she's probably fat under all the bundles and layers. "would I do a fat chick? probably not... but then again, they need loving too".
9:55 - stand around waiting for elevator. ooooh, she got nice heels, oooh she got nice legs, oooh she got a nice face, oooh she got a nice... oh wait, that's a guy.
10:02 - eh, not too late. sit down, turn on lap top, log in online... log into AIM, join class chatroom, make random penis comment, make random vagina comment, wonder at all the people frantically typing notes, "maybe I should take notes too..... nah, gotta check ESPN.com, maybe they updated their Page 2 articles"
12:00 - gotta go to the gym, must pump iron because pumping iron is manly, must be manly.... don't want to settle for fat chicks.
12:30 - damn... this guy is sweaty, damn, this guy's buff... damn, this guy benches way more than me... Ah HA! I can take this guy on! I feel manly. I can leave.
1:00 - class? nap? class? nap? class? nap? Eh, I'd rather be well rested and ignorant than tired and knowledgeable... er wait....
3:30 - anatomy lab. God this is boring. This speciman smells. I wonder how much money I'd have to pay that girl to lick this mandible....
4:00 - go to library. study study study, or actually, study facebook facebook facebook yahoo sports yahoo sports study get up buy snacks oh **** need to buy present for girlfriend... hmm... lingerie, that's like giving a gift to myself. www.victoriasecret.com.. mmmmmhhmmmm Tyra Banks.... *drool. Wipe drool from keyboard. Pack up
11:00 - get in bed, type up asinine responses for douchebag predents, write up asinine log of day, god I'm bored.

haha thats great!

Thanks for all the info so far, been very helpful!

Some more questions

1) What's the student-teacher ratio like?

2) Are chairs readily available for D3/4 patients?

3) How easy is it to find a virgin undergraduate eager for a dental student's gentle touch?

so would you say, all the bad rumors about NYU are due to dental students bad mouthing NYU for their high acceptance rate?

phremius said:

Hmmm...ok I'm sold. NYU is the place for me!

INFNITE said:
so would you say, all the bad rumors about NYU are due to dental students bad mouthing NYU for their high acceptance rate?

what is their acceptance rate? the ave gpa and DAT numbers...are those of people who got accepted or decided to go to NYU?

-IP

I believe NYU's avg GPA is around 3.2 and average DAT is 17~18. No idea how many people applies per year (i would say somewhere between 2000 and 3000) and class size each year is well over 200 people. Considering not everyone who get accepted will go, the acceptance may be as high as 400 people. Also, they accept people without interviews, so they are alot less selective than schools which accept only lets say 50 students.

It seems like you're having a lot of fun phremius. Your 'log' was quite interesting.

dreaming2k5 said:
Since it's the only school that have accepted me so far, I'd like to know more about the school if anyone could help me out...

1) How are the facilities compared to University of Florida and Boston University (the only two schools I've visited)? Ie - are there a lot of chairs for all the students? Are the students divved up into groups for different lectures or we have huge classrooms?

3) Do a lot of students drop-out, fail, or leave school before the 4 years are up?

4) Is it block testing?

What are stats and when did you apply..

Don’t know about the other schools. But the huge class is divided up into a bunch of smaller groups for labs and eventually clinics. you have lectures with everyone else in a large lecture room all four years The pre-clinic facilities are about 4 years old, relatively new and nice appearing. The simulation lab is pretty state of the art, each station has its own monitor and mimics clinic (I personally thought it was nothing like treating a real patient though). There definitely is not enough wet lab space for pre-clinic, expect to fight others for sink space. The undergrad clinics are all going to be remodeled in the next 3 years. The one floor they have remodeled so far in general is nicer than the oldschool 1970’s style in the rest of the school, but not perfect. We have a new cafeteria, and a new library (across the street) newly built in spring ’05. In general facilities are pretty nice.
The school will attempt to get patients by our annual “ABC screening” and “Oral Cancer screening”. Not sure how effective it is in ensuring patients show up again. Patients will be provided, that is, you are given a roster of patients once you start clinic (easy). But having reliable patients that show up is all up to the student (difficult) (i.e. communication skills, calling patients to remind them, sheer luck etc.) The experience you get out of patients is all luck of the draw and varies enormously from student to student. For instance, one student might get to do 20 root canals, and 3 dentures while another might do 5 root canals and 10 dentures. Also, a lot of our patients depend on Medicaid and can’t afford to get the best treatment since Medicaid doesn’t cover jack(they’ll get the extraction instead of the root canal and crown)
I think the average drop-out rate from the class of 2004, 2005, and 2006 is about 10% or so. Since our classes are so large the number that drop out seems large as well. I would say most of the people who don’t make it is because they couldn’t make it. The tutoring provided is minimal, and academic guidance is a joke. When I was an underclassman, you were allowed to fail a certain amount of units which averaged 3-4 classes, you then were allowed to take summer remediation courses. If you failed remediation, you were kicked out of school, and then would have to appeal that and a committee would decide whether you were allowed to remediate the year. Not everyone will be allowed to repeat the year especially those with a poor academic record.
4) Is it block testing?
Sorry no idea what this means. The new D1 class also has a new curriculum that I’m not familiar with. But the old curriculum can be described as short(3-4 weeks), intense classes where you will not have more than one science class at a time. Didn’t have “finals week” because finals would come whenever a class ended, though end of the semester you still have a bunch a tests anyway from a couple classes ending. Felt like all I did was cram since the classes were so short and not even sure if I learned much of anything in the long run. Went to an undergrad school that was a quarter system-10 weeks so it wasn’t that bad to get used to, but it was a little rough on those used to the semester system.
Class of 2006 had a 90% pass rate so far on the mannequin portion of the NERB. I’ve heard that Boston and NYU have a high NERB pass rate compared to other schools in the NE. Not sure what the Boards 1,2 first time pass rates are but i think it’s somewhat low…perhaps low 80’s (some of my classmates are still trying to pass the boards 1)
6) What's the student-teacher ratio like?
I would say it’s a poor ratio since there is a noticeable lack of helpful faculty. For Pre-clinic lab expect one faculty per row (about 8-10 students to 1 faculty And count yourself lucky if you don’t get the old blind guy with shaky hands) The clinic faculty varies depends on popularity of the faculty, and specialty- could be 5 to 1, or 10 to 1. Again some are completely useless, literally the blind leading the blind.
7) Are chairs readily available for D3/4 patients?
each student is assigned to a group practice and clinic. Chairs are readily available during your assigned clinic time. You just have to make sure you schedule your patients into the computer early enough and the chart and chair assignment will be there for the appt. It’s relatively difficult to get a chair when you come in on your own free time during another group’s assigned schedule, but sometimes you have to.
8) Any other thoughts
I’m somewhat of a disgruntled senior and want to get the hell out of here already(I don’t think there’s one D4 who’s lovin NYU anymore) so my opinion of the school may not be optimistic. The only easy thing about NYU is getting in, everything else is an uphill battle, especially the whole thing where you have to learn most everything yourself. I could rant on forever about the negatives and very few positives come to mind. Laymen don’t know that NYU has a poor rep among the dental community, so I don’t think it will affect your practice in the long run, but getting into PG programs may be difficult. In retrospect it would have been better to go to a school with a smaller class size: more bang for your buck. Ultimately the choice is up to you where you go, choose wisely.

tuuthdr said:
Don’t know about the other schools. But the huge class is divided up into a bunch of smaller groups for labs and eventually clinics. you have lectures with everyone else in a large lecture room all four years The pre-clinic facilities are about 4 years old, relatively new and nice appearing. The simulation lab is pretty state of the art, each station has its own monitor and mimics clinic (I personally thought it was nothing like treating a real patient though). There definitely is not enough wet lab space for pre-clinic, expect to fight others for sink space. The undergrad clinics are all going to be remodeled in the next 3 years. The one floor they have remodeled so far in general is nicer than the oldschool 1970’s style in the rest of the school, but not perfect. We have a new cafeteria, and a new library (across the street) newly built in spring ’05. In general facilities are pretty nice.
The school will attempt to get patients by our annual “ABC screening” and “Oral Cancer screening”. Not sure how effective it is in ensuring patients show up again. Patients will be provided, that is, you are given a roster of patients once you start clinic (easy). But having reliable patients that show up is all up to the student (difficult) (i.e. communication skills, calling patients to remind them, sheer luck etc.) The experience you get out of patients is all luck of the draw and varies enormously from student to student. For instance, one student might get to do 20 root canals, and 3 dentures while another might do 5 root canals and 10 dentures. Also, a lot of our patients depend on Medicaid and can’t afford to get the best treatment since Medicaid doesn’t cover jack(they’ll get the extraction instead of the root canal and crown)
I think the average drop-out rate from the class of 2004, 2005, and 2006 is about 10% or so. Since our classes are so large the number that drop out seems large as well. I would say most of the people who don’t make it is because they couldn’t make it. The tutoring provided is minimal, and academic guidance is a joke. When I was an underclassman, you were allowed to fail a certain amount of units which averaged 3-4 classes, you then were allowed to take summer remediation courses. If you failed remediation, you were kicked out of school, and then would have to appeal that and a committee would decide whether you were allowed to remediate the year. Not everyone will be allowed to repeat the year especially those with a poor academic record.
4) Is it block testing?
Sorry no idea what this means. The new D1 class also has a new curriculum that I’m not familiar with. But the old curriculum can be described as short(3-4 weeks), intense classes where you will not have more than one science class at a time. Didn’t have “finals week” because finals would come whenever a class ended, though end of the semester you still have a bunch a tests anyway from a couple classes ending. Felt like all I did was cram since the classes were so short and not even sure if I learned much of anything in the long run. Went to an undergrad school that was a quarter system-10 weeks so it wasn’t that bad to get used to, but it was a little rough on those used to the semester system.
Class of 2006 had a 90% pass rate so far on the mannequin portion of the NERB. I’ve heard that Boston and NYU have a high NERB pass rate compared to other schools in the NE. Not sure what the Boards 1,2 first time pass rates are but i think it’s somewhat low…perhaps low 80’s (some of my classmates are still trying to pass the boards 1)
6) What's the student-teacher ratio like?
I would say it’s a poor ratio since there is a noticeable lack of helpful faculty. For Pre-clinic lab expect one faculty per row (about 8-10 students to 1 faculty And count yourself lucky if you don’t get the old blind guy with shaky hands) The clinic faculty varies depends on popularity of the faculty, and specialty- could be 5 to 1, or 10 to 1. Again some are completely useless, literally the blind leading the blind.
7) Are chairs readily available for D3/4 patients?
each student is assigned to a group practice and clinic. Chairs are readily available during your assigned clinic time. You just have to make sure you schedule your patients into the computer early enough and the chart and chair assignment will be there for the appt. It’s relatively difficult to get a chair when you come in on your own free time during another group’s assigned schedule, but sometimes you have to.
8) Any other thoughts
I’m somewhat of a disgruntled senior and want to get the hell out of here already(I don’t think there’s one D4 who’s lovin NYU anymore) so my opinion of the school may not be optimistic. The only easy thing about NYU is getting in, everything else is an uphill battle, especially the whole thing where you have to learn most everything yourself. I could rant on forever about the negatives and very few positives come to mind. Laymen don’t know that NYU has a poor rep among the dental community, so I don’t think it will affect your practice in the long run, but getting into PG programs may be difficult. In retrospect it would have been better to go to a school with a smaller class size: more bang for your buck. Ultimately the choice is up to you where you go, choose wisely.

overall, how would you rank your clinical ed.? I realize its up to the individual and it depends, but in your opinion.. do you feel you are competent to go out and practice or is a GPR EXTREMELY NECESSARY?

Check this thread on NYU... :eek:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=196074

many students have talked about NYU..in detail..
Hopefully should help you out
Good Luck
ta

dreaming2k5 said:

4) Is it block testing?

overall, how would you rank your clinical ed.? I realize its up to the individual and it depends, but in your opinion.. do you feel you are competent to go out and practice or is a GPR EXTREMELY NECESSARY?

Dentistry is so complex, diverse, and ever evolving that I don’t think four years of dental school anywhere will completely prepare you for private practice. As for competent, I think NYUCD turns out competent “clinicians” but not completely competent “doctors”(only my opinion). Our students are confident in doing procedures but I think we are lacking knowledge in the basic sciences, that is we have a poor didactic foundation.
Can we do the procedure? Yes.
Do we understand the basis of the procedure? Hmm, maybe not completely but mostly.
Do we understand everything as well as other graduates? In my opinion, no.
does this apply to everyone? No, but applies to most.

Not to say any of us are stupid. How can we know something that was never taught, or taught well by the school? I think it all stems to having too many classmates, individual attention is lacking, and many slip through the cracks. Being taught poorly continues on to our clinical years at d school. emphasis is on production and money, not education and quality of end results. the school thinks production and education strongly correlates, but i beg to differ.

In private practice I think a recent grad will be able to do everything a general practitioner is expected to do but it wouldn’t be a cakewalk. This probably applies for all dental grads: we have to build up speed and confidence and that comes with time. We are allowed 2 hour appointments as students, in private practice those appointments are 45 minutes at most. NYUCDers may have more confidence and speed compared to other students…but I think it might be best to go to a school that provides a better education- something practice and time won’t provide without a price.

As for GPRs (or AEGDs), i would highly recommend it.

Hope that helps.