Let's talk about physics

Started by juventas
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

juventas

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an MS3 who has few ideas of what to do with his life. I would like at least a bit of continuity of care, a lot of procedures, and something that appeals to my geeky techie side. RadOnc seems like it fits. I've done a lot of reading/searching on these boards, but I still have some questions:

1) I've noticed people talking about an interest in physics and all that. Well, I'm pretty mathematically minded, I was a biomedical engineer (electrical focus) in undergrad, and I scored well on my MCAT physical sciences, but it's been quite a while since I've studied any physics (I don't remember a dang thing). Am I out of luck on the interview trail? Will they start grilling me on Maxwell's equations? Particle emissions of radioactive materials? 😕

2) A big thing mentioned on these boards is research in oncology. I have a second name in a basic sciences MRI paper, and a minor name in a clinical research paper on Alzheimer's, but nothing oncology related. Bad news?

3) For health reasons, I am one rotation off, so I won't be able to do any RadOnc electives until mid-August. Am I too late?

4) The only good LOR's I can possibly get right now are from a FM doc and a PhD. Any advice?

5) Finally, general grade/scores questions: How do preclinical grades compare to clinical grades? I got mostly A's in preclinicals (B in one semester of path, B in a semester of biochem), but right now I'm going straight B's on my clinicals. Does that look particularly bad, like I dropped the ball or something?

Whew, that was a lot. Please answer anything you can. Other fields I'm considering: procedure-heavy IM subspecialties like cards, GI, and pulm/CC. I disliked the surgery rotation, so no surgery for me.

Thanks in advance.