Let's talk about physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juventas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS3 who has few ideas of what to do with his life. I would like at least a bit of continuity of care, a lot of procedures, and something that appeals to my geeky techie side. RadOnc seems like it fits. I've done a lot of reading/searching on these boards, but I still have some questions:

1) I've noticed people talking about an interest in physics and all that. Well, I'm pretty mathematically minded, I was a biomedical engineer (electrical focus) in undergrad, and I scored well on my MCAT physical sciences, but it's been quite a while since I've studied any physics (I don't remember a dang thing). Am I out of luck on the interview trail? Will they start grilling me on Maxwell's equations? Particle emissions of radioactive materials? :confused:

2) A big thing mentioned on these boards is research in oncology. I have a second name in a basic sciences MRI paper, and a minor name in a clinical research paper on Alzheimer's, but nothing oncology related. Bad news?

3) For health reasons, I am one rotation off, so I won't be able to do any RadOnc electives until mid-August. Am I too late?

4) The only good LOR's I can possibly get right now are from a FM doc and a PhD. Any advice?

5) Finally, general grade/scores questions: How do preclinical grades compare to clinical grades? I got mostly A's in preclinicals (B in one semester of path, B in a semester of biochem), but right now I'm going straight B's on my clinicals. Does that look particularly bad, like I dropped the ball or something?

Whew, that was a lot. Please answer anything you can. Other fields I'm considering: procedure-heavy IM subspecialties like cards, GI, and pulm/CC. I disliked the surgery rotation, so no surgery for me.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.